a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Any Sun Cats in Hilton Head, SC area?

Started by LaGatta, September 07, 2015, 06:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaGatta

If you're sailing a Sun Cat in the area of Hilton Head Island, SC, especially Calibogue Sound, please drop me an email via this CPYOA site.

jeff

Sail4Fun

I have one here in Greenvile, if it doesn't float away in the monsoon!

nreamer

There are at least two in Columbia area, mine and one other.  I saw one on a YouTube video with Beaufort SC on the transom, so there should be someone down there somewhere, assuming they still have the boat.

neil
~ 2010 Suncat ~
    ~  Frisky  ~

Catawampus

Neil,
You were right about there being a third Sun Cat on Lake Murray.  I saw a green hull Sun Cat on the hard at Columbia Sail Club near the dam last weekend.  We were there for their Fall Classic Regatta.  I asked several of their members, but none knew who owns her.  I took a closer look.  Looks like she hasn't been used lately.
Steve

nreamer

Yes, quite sad.  A green hulled Suncat no less, the most beautiful kind, sitting unused and unloved.  Maybe not the fastest Sun Cat, that seems to be reserved for the blue hulls, but unless racing against other Sun Cats, who cares?    My brother in-law crews on a San Juan 21 ("The Admiral", Dommel ) and had noticed the presence of this unused Sun Cat over there.  That is where I got my info.  I hope the owner comes to his senses and starts sailing her.

neil
~ 2010 Suncat ~
    ~  Frisky  ~

Catawampus

Neil,
I agree that the green hull Sun Cats are beautiful, and of course I agree that the blue hulls have proven to be fast. However, there is one cream-colored Sun Cat on Lake Murray that may be the quickest and most agile of all Sun Cats, (then again, probably not), but we must meet and test the waters.   :o)
Steve

nreamer

~ 2010 Suncat ~
    ~  Frisky  ~

capt_nemo

I'd love to be there to witness that contest.

Are jibs allowed?

capt_nemo

Catawampus

My wife objects to any actual jibs. She says this would interfere with the serenity she finds aboard with her full time duties trimming our virtual jib. (She found actual jib trimming aboard our prior Hunter 31 to be noisy and annoying, even though she was always at the wheel when the genoa needed adjusting or tacking.)

nreamer

Funny you mention that.  My wife is of like mind.  While out Sunday, in light air of course, my neighbor was out on his Pearson 31 with main and genoa set.  He came over to chat, and literally sailed in circles around us for 10 minutes (He likes to talk.)  Anyway, my wife commented that she was glad we did not have that noisy sail on the front of the boat.  Every time he had to shift the genoa over, all conversation ceased until that was set.  (He modified his technique as the talking continued to making long ovals, so he had longer straight runs, therefore could talk longer and without interruption!)

However, I am tired of poking around at 0 - 1.5 kts, so I think the jib is gonna get experimented with real soon!  (I have not used them yet, as I wanted to see what the boat is like in stock configuration, and go from there.) 

Further, in comparing the Pearson to the SunCat,  we love the SunCat cockpit!  Ours is huge and so uncluttered compared to his Pearson.  There is barely room for three people in the Pearson, and you can never relax, as the traveler needs to be shifted, or the main and jib sheets adjusted continuously.  There are lines everywhere underfoot, as there is no real way to tame them. The wheel is huge and there is nowhere to sit behind it.  The box Don built that sits out of the way under the tiller on Frisky has these perfect "containers" for the main sheets, and the bag he made for the halyards keeps them out of the way.  The cockpit on the Suncat is luxurious in comparison to the Pearson. 

I guess it all comes down to what and how you want to use the boat as to what works for each person.  Effectively, both boats are day sailors as they are currently used.  As a day sailor, I would take the SunCat over the huge Pearson any day, even if the Pearson can literally sail circles around me!

Sorry, I just looked at the title of this thread and realized how far off topic we have drifted.  Maybe this thread needs a jib or a drifter!  Sorry, could not resist.....
~ 2010 Suncat ~
    ~  Frisky  ~

Catawampus

Neil,
Maybe it's time for you to join LMSC (LMSC.org) and move your boat next to mine. There's almost always a breeze in our cove, even when it's flat out on the big water. And, of course, the big water often has good winds too. I've had two very pleasant sails, yesterday and Friday afternoons. I averaged 3 knots over several hours on both days. Winds really picked up around 3pm yesterday. I even overtook a novice sailing family on their hunter 25.5. My GPS says I hit 5 knots a couple of times and had a lot of time doing over 4 knots.
Steve

nreamer

Oh, that would go over well.  "Sweetie, even though we live on the lake and have our own boat ramp and dock, we need to join this club down close to the dam and keep the boat there, the sailing will be better, promise!"  ;-) 

Hopefully the wind forecast will hold for Sunday.  Calling for 10+ knots!  Woo Hoo!
~ 2010 Suncat ~
    ~  Frisky  ~

Catawampus

10+ Sunday cool!  Will try to get out there.
Regarding LMSC, I'm sure she would understand. After all it is all about the wind!  Well maybe...

Bob23

Although I'm not a Suncatter and have only sailed aboard one once at this years CLR (thanks again Roger!) I love the boats and am secretly still looking for one if I downsize from my 1985 23/2. (I'm whispering because she has uncannily good hearing!)
   But the real point of this reply is to comment on Catawampus profound words before they get lost:  "It's all about the wind!"  That needs to be on my office wall to help me stay sane through the winter months.
Bob23...for the cause!

Catawampus

Thanks Bob!  You have inspired my new signature!