a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

When to reef a Suncat

Started by hoddinr, August 31, 2015, 09:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoddinr

I've owned Nomad (formerly Odd Duck) since December of 2014 and have had her out once a month or more occasionally for more than one night.

So far I have not had the need to reef her.  Not even close.  But we're coming up on Fall weather before long, and I anticipate some stronger winds.

What wind speed do you begin to think about a reef?  I know you can scandalize the gaff by easing the peak halyard momentarily.

Also:  Can you reef from the cockpit, and if so how did you set that up?

Thanks for the discussion.

Ron Hoddinott
Nomad

capt_nemo

Ah, the inevitable "When to reef?" question.

Having sailed my Sun Cat for 5 1/2 years under various wind, sea state, and weather conditions, the answer is not as simple as specifying a magic wind speed number.

The simple and not so glib answer is, when the Captain believes the boat to be overpowered - that is, excessively heeled and rounding up uncontrollably with the rudder consistently stalling whatever the wind speed.

The more definitive simple answer is, it depends on the number of crew aboard as the wind builds - that is, the amount of human ballast or "rail meat" available to counteract the increased heeling moment caused by increased wind pressure on the gaff headed main'sl. Sailing solo most of the time I found myself tying in a reef to regain adequate control of the boat under conditions that other Sun Cats with 2 or 3 folks aboard simply took in stride. To generalize, the wind was between 15 and 20 mph with higher gusts. This could vary of course, depending on the effect of tide or current as well as point of sail. What was really disconcerting was that I was penalized (suffered decreased boat performance) when racing in heavy air, having to tie in a reef when other Sun Cats with more crew did not.

I changed the reefing system on Sun Cat "Frisky" to be able to tie in a reef from the cockpit. First, I had a topping lift rigged which was controlled from the cockpit. The reefing line bringing the "new" clew down to the mast was left unchanged. I added a cheek block on the starboard side of the boom just aft of the gooseneck. A line led from the port side of the boom up through the "new" tack cringle, down around the cheek block and rearward back to a cleat on the boom over the cockpit. Simply tighten the topping lift to control the boom, slack off the throat and peak halyards, pull down the tack reef line and cleat, pull down the clew reef line and cleat, retighten throat and peak halyards and you're done. Tie up the excess sail on the foot if desired.

Hope this helps.

capt_nemo

Joseph

... whenever you think about it... and it may be already too late...

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Tom L.

Ron as you know we are fairly new to the Sun Cat but I have never reefed yet because of wind. I have sailed in some 15 to 20 and at 20 with the two of us it gets to be a little too much. The reefing system is the standard slab reefing that Cat Nemo described. I have done it just to see how well it works and it works fine. Both the tack reef line and the clew reef line after they pass through the turning blocks are on the same side of the boom with cleats about mid boom. Very easy to reach while standing in the cockpit. I don't have a topping lift so I head up into the wind a little and let the peak down to where the main boom drops into the gallows and I tighten the main sheet to keep it there so it doesn't flail about and injure somebody. Then I can lower the premarked halyards tie in the reef, release the main sheet and haul the halyards back up. Almost as fast as it takes to read this.

The last time it got really windy in gusts I started to crack off a little bit and if necessary feather up in the gusts. That is the lazy mans way and the boat likes it better too. Actually that is what I have done in most all my boats, large or small.  I haven't sailed down wind in really strong conditions with the Sun Cat but I think that is where this boat with the relatively large main and close to the water can get in trouble before the skipper knows it. I intend to haul the reefed main higher than the normal gooseneck position to help reduce the possibility of dipping the boom in the water, a really dangerous possibility with the Sun Cat.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Galnorth

I agree with Capn Nemos observations about when to reef.  I sail alone almost exclusively and have found its pretty easy to sense when the gusts are taking over.  I modified my standard reefing to "single line" reefing with one line to pull down both the tack and clew.  This gives me only one line to deal with in what is usually a pretty hectic time.  Also, I haven't instaled a topping lift, I've found the lazy jacks provide enough control to the boom

hoddinr

OK.  Thanks Nemo, and Tom and Gainorth!

I do have the starboard side of the boom cheek blocks like you do Tom.  I've reefed other boats and actually do understand when you should do it.  Just wanted to see what SunCatters thought was a good wind speed to start thinking about it.

Nomad has two sets of reef points, but after seeing how stiff she is I unrove the second set.

Got to think about the one line reefing idea.  That might save a solo sailor (me) some time. 

Ron