a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Up or down

Started by rbh1515, August 04, 2015, 08:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

Do you keep your centerboard up or down at the dock?
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

capt_nemo

rbh1515,

For very short stays at dockside I kept the centerboard of my Sun Cat UP. And, if the water depth is too shallow you may not have a choice.

However, there is a negative side to keeping the board UP. With CB Pennant under tension of CB weight while the boat rocks in waves (wavelets) the CB Pennant moves back and forth across anything it rubs on, chafing the line until it ultimately fails at a most inopportune time. This is why I strongly recommend releasing the tension on the CB when you have it on the trailer (same chafing occurring going down the road). Just remember to tighten up BEFORE you launch.

One could argue that with CB down during boat movement the CB also moves on its pivot pin causing wear. But IMHO such wear would take a long time to do noticeable damage compared to the chafing thru of the more vulnerable CB Pennant Line.

If you decide to keep the CB UP at dockside for prolonged periods of time I recommend you periodically check your CB Pennant for excessive chafe damage.

After 4 years of trailering Sun Cat "Frisky" with CB Pennant loose on the trailer, there was absolutely NO NOTICEABLE WEAR on the Pennant. But, since I had her up in the air with CB lowered and replacement in hand, I replaced it anyway.

capt_nemo

rbh1515

I have plenty of depth at my dock...about 12 feet, so that is not an issue.
My understanding is that the CB is in the water either way.  I'll probably just keep it down.
How hard is it to replace the pennant?
Rob

capt_nemo

Replacing the pennant is easy once you get access to the board edge to which it is attached. Gaining access can range from difficult to easy depending on method used. I changed mine at my friendly small boat trailer dealer who had a light lift that I "borrowed" for about 30 minutes and $20. With CB lowered and visible, remove the old line from the CB edge. Using the old pennant as a "messenger line", attach the new line SECURELY to its untied end and then pull old with new attached up into the cockpit. Attach the new line end to the CB and you're done. Mine attached to a hole drilled in the CB edge using a bowline knot!

capt_nemo

rbh1515

My boat will be in the water for about 6 months, and then come out for the winter.  I'll probably have the local yard haul it out so the bottom can be cleaned.  If I understand you correctly, I should have good access with the boat in the air and the CB down?
Rob

Craig

I keep Kailani's CB up while in the slip. Reduces fouling on the CB since it is not painted with antifouling. When I had the bottom done  a few weeks ago I checked the pennant and it looked fine (I  think the water acts as a lube). I did have the yard shorten the pennant by a couple inches and re-tie it to the shackle just to be sure. Kailani is now into her third season and just had the bottom done with Micron 66 ablative paint. I was not happy with the effectiveness of the factory bottom paint. My Suncat, Cattitude, had Micron paint and spent a year in the water here. When she was hauled after she was sold, there was little fouling at all and no serious growth whatsoever.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

capt_nemo

Yes, good access with boat UP in the air and CB DOWN. No worries mate!

capt_nemo

Jeff

Hi - I will add my thoughts on this as I have a related question too. I have a HC and we are keeping it in salt water 6 months. I keep the rudder down because our moorage is tight and I'd hate it to be hit by accident! It has antifouling on it so growth is minimal. I've have raised it and actually lifted it higher out of the water with webbing lashed to the boom when over nighting on a dock in rougher weather to minimize the banging about. (I wouldn't do this on the hook in case I needed to use it in a hurry...)

My question is the lower rudder pin to the stern bracket never stays snug and it doesn't take long after I've snugged it up to loosen enough for more play than I'd like to see. Especially in rougher weather. I'd hate the pin to shear off. I was thinking of adding a second lock nut. Wondering if others have had this issue and their solution. The top pin seems to stay put. Jeff

rbh1515

Quote from: Craig on August 05, 2015, 02:14:40 PM
I keep Kailani's CB up while in the slip. Reduces fouling on the CB since it is not painted with antifouling.

They painted my CB with antifouling at the factory.  It was a different paint since the CB is metal.
Rob