Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

I'm in--woo hoo!

Started by fiddledance, July 15, 2015, 08:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiddledance

Hi Everyone,

Nothing like waiting 11 months to see your CP19 in the water for the first time!

Purchased my CP19 at the end of last summer and finally launched her last Sunday in Hingham, MA.  Something about never having seen her float that made it just a bit nerve-wracking for me.  That and the fact that the boat sits pretty high in the trailer as we all know.  Anyway, we launched at high tide Sunday morning.  My friend had his car in the water up to the rear hub caps and we still couldn't push her off.  Ended up turning her a little sideways by accident, and that made it even harder.  Luckily a guy came by in his power boat and we threw him a stern line and with a little tug, we were off!  (Note to self: Get a trailer extension.)  We motored over to a dock and finished rigging her (photo 1), and then motored off into Hingham Bay.  Now steering is a funny thing.  Do I steer with your motor or the tiller?  I chose to keep the motor straight and use the tiller because it was weird to have my hand behind my back.  The tiller was much more comfortable. 

So out of the harbor we motored, than we raised the sail, unfurled the jib, and...drifted.  There was no wind.  Just awful.  So we motored some more and finally caught a little breeze (2-5 knots maybe).  Our fastest speed seemed to be wing and wing, but it wasn't much.  Just kinda nothing.  Except hot.  So we motored to the mooring and put her up for the night.

Not a bad shakedown, however.  Better than super windy on a new boat.  Gave me a chance to see how to use the mainsheet and jibs, and coordinate it with working the motor.  However, I had 2 friends with me, so it'll be a bit harder when I single hand.

Anyway, special thanks to my Columbus, OH CP19 friends Bill and Mike for their advice this past year.  Now onto my list of about a hundred things to do/adjust/dream about with my new beautiful vessel.  So glad to be a part of this Com-Pac community.

deisher6

Hey fiddle dance;
Pretty boat and a pretty happy skipper.
Smooth sailing

regards charlie

Bob23

Congratulations, Fiddledance. She's a very sweet looking 19. Are you planning to attend the CLR this month? Love to see  you there!
Bob23

brackish

Congrats on being in the water! And Wow, some very nice custom wooden components.

hoddinr

Congrats on the launch, Fiddle.

I sailed out of Hingham Harbor in 1992 to see the Tall Ships parade into Boston Harbor.  One the way we camped on Grape Island, as I recall.  Lots of bunnies there.  Looking out to the east toward Hull, you could see the upper sails of the tall ships before they entered the harbor.

Lots of old fiberglas boats that looked brand new, due to the fact that they're kept in "boat houses" most of the year!  Something new to this Florida boy.

Have lots of fun this summer.

Ron

Mike

The bright work looks great....what did you use.  I have an 85...light air sailing is great with this boat as is single handing.

fiddledance

Quote from: deisher6 on July 15, 2015, 11:10:51 AM
Hey fiddle dance;
Pretty boat and a pretty happy skipper.
Smooth sailing

regards charlie

Thanks so much Charlie!  It's a fun new journey for me. 

fiddledance

Quote from: Bob23 on July 15, 2015, 03:46:44 PM
Congratulations, Fiddledance. She's a very sweet looking 19. Are you planning to attend the CLR this month? Love to see  you there!
Bob23

Thank you Bob 23!  I don't know what a CLR is, so maybe?!  But if not this year, there's always next year.

fiddledance

Quote from: brackish on July 15, 2015, 07:07:30 PM
Congrats on being in the water! And Wow, some very nice custom wooden components.

Thank you!  The first owner went to town with the wood accents, from teak coamings to interior strips of varnished wood lining the v berth.  I claim no credit for it, but it's really nice. 

fiddledance

Quote from: hoddinr on July 15, 2015, 07:14:14 PM
Congrats on the launch, Fiddle.

I sailed out of Hingham Harbor in 1992 to see the Tall Ships parade into Boston Harbor.  One the way we camped on Grape Island, as I recall.  Lots of bunnies there.  Looking out to the east toward Hull, you could see the upper sails of the tall ships before they entered the harbor.

Lots of old fiberglas boats that looked brand new, due to the fact that they're kept in "boat houses" most of the year!  Something new to this Florida boy.

Have lots of fun this summer.

Ron

Thanks Ron!  I remember the Tall Ships (I was living in Plymouth at the time),  Yes, I sailed right by Grape Island on Sunday.  I'll have to see about camoing there.  That seems fun!

fiddledance

Quote from: Mike on July 16, 2015, 09:32:22 AM
The bright work looks great....what did you use.  I have an 85...light air sailing is great with this boat as is single handing.

Thanks Mike!  I used a teak cleaner and then 4 coats of teak oil.  My friends told me to take a picture now because in a month it'll be a different story.  I've used varnish on another boat, but it's a nightmare if you don't keep up with it.  This is my first time with oil, which needs monthly re-oiling I hear, but at least it won't need a heat gun and scraper. 

Mine's an 83 with an added bowsprit.  Glad to hear that she is good in light air--I haven't had a chance to sail her much yet.  Do you have a genoa on her?

Salty19

Fiddle,

Nice looking boat...love the woodwork! The bowsprit looks pretty darn nice as well.   Glad she's on the water now...enjoy the rest of the summer and beyond. 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

Fid:
   Search for CLR here at the site. It's a great get together of like minded Compac-o-nauts at Carlyle Lake, Illinois and starts on July 27th. Look for in under "Group outings and Compac events."

Mike

Quote from: fiddledance on July 16, 2015, 09:51:53 PM
Thanks Mike!  I used a teak cleaner and then 4 coats of teak oil.  My friends told me to take a picture now because in a month it'll be a different story.  I've used varnish on another boat, but it's a nightmare if you don't keep up with it.  This is my first time with oil, which needs monthly re-oiling I hear, but at least it won't need a heat gun and scraper. 

Mine's an 83 with an added bowsprit.  Glad to hear that she is good in light air--I haven't had a chance to sail her much yet.  Do you have a genoa on her?
Just a 110....now with roller furling.   Still going through the paces.  My experience with oil is the same, haven t used varnish other than below.

cal27sailor

Great looking CP19.  You set the bar really high!  I really like the added bowsprit.  I have a 1984 model and have that on my list.  You have also sold me on going with oil on my teak rather than varnish or poly.  I have been down that road before was never satisfied.  The teak oil looks great.  Anxious to hear how she sails in the light air.

Tony
1984 Compac 19 "Rita Marlene"
Tony
"Rita Marlene", 1984 Com-Pac 19
Tsa-La-Gi Yacht Club, Okay, OK