a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Inboard Engine for 19

Started by mikeg, August 25, 2006, 04:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeg

And Kevin- you're also fortunate that, in owning a 20 year old outboard, you're getting some weight savings off the back! My 19 came with a 6hp four-stroke which is just a beast-- and I think my motor must be a good 10-20 lbs. heavier than a good old, lighterweight 2 stroke.   The old six on our old speedo up in northern MN feels a whole lot lighter...

Any thoughts on this fellas? Does one save any weight off the back of the boat using a 2cycle of equal horsepower to a 4stroke model??? Or does 20 lbs. not really make a difference?  Just seems to me the weight of the o/b is fairly high and awkward (on the port side) === anyone have theories/experience with this?

Also, while I'm at it (and this is one for another life as the cash necessary would be off the charts), has any one heard of a CP19 being converted aftermarket to diesel inboard power. This may be a design impossibility and I'm by no means going to do it, probably ever, but I just throw that one out there. Read an article in Good Old Boat this month -- a 1 cyl. Yanmar being installed in a Folkboat. Dare to dream.   And I do believe that a handful of newer 19's have diesel power??

Best,
Mike G.

mgoller

There is room in the bilge for something.  There is room back of the keel for a prop.  But, in terms of servicing problems, an outboard can't be beat.  Imagine if your inboard prop got fouled on fishing line or weeds.  Not an easy matter anymore.  And I wouldn't like to think about the mess and plumbing for cooling water in the bilge.  Now if it were small, it could work.
It would definitely clean up the lines of the boat at the stern and move some weight to the center.
An electric motor sure would be slick but I don't know if it would be strong enough and how many batteries it would require.

MRA346

I know of a CP-19 that was converted to inboard diesel.  The engine used was a CP-27 engine that the owner had upgraded.  It's a 2 cylinder freshwater cooled 12HP Universal engine.  The problem came when he wanted to sell the boat - not worth anything close to the expense put into the upgrade.  It would be cheaper tp sell the CP-19 and buy a CP-23D.  Actually, come to think of it, that's exactly what I'm in the process of doing...

Michael
CP-19 "Slip Knot"

Craig Weis

On the stern of my C-P 19 is a good old Mercury 5 hp 2 stroke.

I did think about a Briggs and Straton 4 stroke AIR cooled that was in a used sporting goods store.
This motor does weigh a wee bit more, about 14 pounds more. I would think that the water cooled would be even more weight.

As far as an inboard I don't think I want to mess with a stuffing box and would worry about flooding while she sits at the dock.

For my money this 5 hp 2 stroke pushes my boat at about 4.3 knots, same as the sails, so I guess my sails 'make' 5 hp too.

On the net is an outfit that will sell you a brand new B/S 6 hp 4 stroke air cooled for around $700....skip

Additionally note that the 4 strokes are 6 hp and the 2 strokes are 5 hp. And for my money the 2 stroke Mercury's usually make a bit more hp then advertised.