a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast raising system

Started by cal27sailor, July 05, 2015, 11:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cal27sailor

I have spent most of this holiday weekend trying to build a gin pole system for raising my mast single handed.  95% of my sailing is solo so I cannot plan on having anyone around to help me step the mast nor do my worn out knees allow me to just heft up the mast like some of our other sailors can do.  I have used "philb" 's photos of his system as a guide.  I built the gin pole, attached all of the necessary blocks, fastened the raising line to the mast below the spreaders and then ran line though the blocks and ultimately to the port sheet winch in the cockpit.  Attaching the gin pole was a little more challenging in that the bolt hole at the bottom of my mast does not run perfectly straight through the mast which made lining up my pre drilled hole and steel support plates a little more difficult.  Twisting, swearing and brute force finally got it in place.  I tested it late this afternoon and the system does work though it still needs some tweaking.

Big challenge is the side sway of the mast as she comes up.  Most of the systems I have seen call for making bridles or "baby stays" to prevent this.  I have not found any good photos or descriptions of how to construct and attach these.  I've also read several online articles that say these bridles are a hassle to use.  Does anyone have any recommendations on their use or alternatives?

I really want to build a system that is simple and quick to use.  Just a little frustrated at this point.

Thanks....Tony

Tony
"Rita Marlene", 1984 Com-Pac 19
Tsa-La-Gi Yacht Club, Okay, OK

agentjohnson

Easiest system would be an electric winch tied to the halyard, mounted on tow vehicle, use the remote in your hand, and the other hand to steady mast. This is what I did for my 21' Gulf Coast, before I got my CP 16, which I just wrangle by hand.

AislinGirlII

I rigged my baby stays on the system using adjustable straps, some chain and clips. Easy to tweak on the fly if needed. Thinking I will close the ends on all hooks with some tape so it all stays in one piece with the pole then label the ends. Some pics and details on the post "Mast Stepping Rig" at http://www.svemergencyexit.net/aislingirl2/

cal27sailor

AislinGirlII.....I like the ides of using the ratcheting straps and chain.  Would be quick and easy.  It looks it the photos like the baby stays are attached to the gin pole in two places.....one high and one low.  Do they attach to the mast, too?  I'm only using this on a CP-19 which should be lighter than your CP-23.  I'll be heading back to Lowes again today.

Thanks...Tony
1984 Compac 19 "Rita Marlene"
1978 Islander 28 "Endless Summer"
Tony

Tom L.

I had a Potter 19 that used baby stays. It was a no hassle system that never got out of adjustment and stayed tight enough to keep the mast from swinging side to side from lowered to full up position.

The secret is the stays are attached at deck level at the same position as the mast pivot pin only outboard of course. That means the pivot was on the same horizontal plain and at the same point fore and aft. They used a tall u-bolt on deck and the stays were attached to the u-bolt with 1/4 turn shackles. At the other end of the stay, about six feet up the mast, was fitted with a tang and was thru bolted to the mast (easy to reach and remove after the mast is up). That bolt  was fitted with a nylock nut (finger tight will work for the process). The baby stays were very easy to remove and set up and positively controlled the side to side swing of the mast as it was raised from lowered to fully raised position.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

AislinGirlII

Quote from: cal27sailor on July 06, 2015, 10:07:36 AMIt looks it the photos like the baby stays are attached to the gin pole in two places.....one high and one low.  Do they attach to the mast, too?
its one set of straps each side from the ring in the chain to gin pole and another set from chain to a point up the mast as far as I can reach with the mast up...without needing a ladder etc.. gin pole via posts from Philb and marc as well..kudos to them

cal27sailor

Thanks for all of the feedback.  I think I have a better understanding on the baby stays now and will try it later this week.  Unfortunately we have a lot of rain in the forcast,until Thursday but that gives me plenty of time to gather more supplies!

Tony
Tony

philb Junkie19

Tony,   I haven't been here for a bit.  No boat time right now and not much time to tune in. We bought an old farmhouse last month in need of extensive work. One exciting thing is that the house is just several minutes from the town dock on a very protected harbor here in Maine.  Aislin Girl2 pic shows the baby stays, chain and straps, including additional stays to the gin pole very well. Looks very secure. I didn't use any stays to the gin pole, only to the mast as the pull on that was short, direct and downward, no problems. The pic I posted in April does show most of one baby stay and where one of the 3 points is  is hooked to the 19's stanchion base. The clutter in the pic may obscure it. Hope you had a chance to get your system working.   Phil

cal27sailor

Thanks Phil.  I have had my twin 8 year old granddaughters her since last weekend.  Lots of activities but none with my boat.  I have purchased all of the chain, clips and straps to make the baby stays and also ordered a spinnaker pole bracket to attach to my mast for securing the straps.  It came in today.  I've studied your photos very closely and am ready to get this finished.  Hopefully this weekend....granddaughters go home on Friday!

Good luck on the old farmhouse.  We have restored two turn of the century homes and two 1920's commercial buildings over the years.  It was a lot of work but worth every bit of it.  I wish we had purchased another one when we moved to Arkanasas in 2013 but I just didn't feel we could do another one.  It takes a lot of time that could be spent on the boat!  Good luck to you.  Share some photos.

Tony
Tony