a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bridge clearance for a CP25?

Started by legends117, July 02, 2015, 05:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

legends117

Hi All - I checked the interwebs, but could not find the bridge clearance for the CP25.  Can anyone provide me with the answer?  Thanks - JD
- JD Johnson
Panama City Beach, FL
Com-Pac 25, Hull #9
S/V Dutch Roll (from the previous 2 owners, & before that she was "somewhere up North" called Stella Bella)

relamb

Take a line and tie it to your main or jib halyard, and hoist it to the top.
Hold the bottom end of the line at the water line.
Mark it, lower the line, and measure the length. Since it's the hypotenuse of the triangle it will be a little longer than the air draft.
Add on any extra height for antennas or windex or anything else sticking up past the top of the mast.
.... assuming you can't find the answer anywhere else.

Be aware that when going under a bridge, waves can toss you up and down a few feet, and I've hit my antenna even with several feet of extra clearance.
Rick
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Tom L.

Contact Com Pac. They have that info.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

skip1930

Don't have any idea about the CP-25 but on the CP-19 it is 25 foot from top-o-mast to waterline. The add then 30 or so inches for the radio whip.

skip.

Ron

I have a 25,but that particular stat eludes me at the moment ,but if you figure around 35-37 without whip you are pretty close.
When in doubt have the tender lift,after all it is your mast.
Ron

Dogboy

I "guestimated" based upon the mast height that it was around 38 ft to the water line.  I use 45 ft as my comfort zone for clearance, but there is only 1 bridge I ever go under, and I don't need to do that.  If I was in a place with lots of bridges I'd be more certain of my measurement.
1990 23/3D - my fathers boat - Sold
2010 Sunday Cat - Sold
2008 Compac 25 - Sold
Current: Hobie 16 & Hobie TI -
Looking for a Horizon Cat or HDC

legends117

For anyone that cares:  Rich Hutchins informed me that I "should figure about 33 ft waterline to top of mast."  So, I assume that he should know.

Thanks for all y'all's responses.
- JD Johnson
Panama City Beach, FL
Com-Pac 25, Hull #9
S/V Dutch Roll (from the previous 2 owners, & before that she was "somewhere up North" called Stella Bella)

Dogboy

hmm, not questioning it, but that means I SERIOUSLY messed up my measurement.  I'll try again and see if I get closer to that.
2010 Sunday Cat - Sold
2008 Compac 25 - Sold

BobK

The CP-27 is 35'8".  That should be correct.

legends117

Quote from: Dogboy on July 08, 2015, 10:18:28 AM
hmm, not questioning it, but that means I SERIOUSLY messed up my measurement.  I'll try again and see if I get closer to that.

Assuming the image on SailboatData is correct for a CP-25 and is a scale drawing (which I am not sure of, b/c the port lite configuration is are not accurate, but lets assume that the image is a true representation of the hull and mast); I measured the LWL in the image and created a ratio of that measurement over the known dimension of 21', then used that ratio on the measurement from the top of the mast to the water line shown on the image.  That gave me a measurement of about 31.5'  So, I think 33' is probably a pretty safe number.
- JD Johnson
Panama City Beach, FL
Com-Pac 25, Hull #9

moonlight

The mast, when down, extends from the pushpit to the pulpit, so 25~27'.  And it starts it's life 6~8' out of the water.  33~35'.

Dogboy

What I did wrong...I measured mast top to side-deck, then added water height to coach top.  Oops.
2010 Sunday Cat - Sold
2008 Compac 25 - Sold