Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Just too tall

Started by waterwheels, June 12, 2015, 12:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterwheels

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone has had to deal with this issue. The current position of the mast while traveling makes it just too tall to fit in my carport. I managed to squeak it in for the winter by taking the mast off and removing the holders for the mast and boom. It would sure be nice to have it fit between outing, to get it out of the sun and weather.
I am going drop the floor a few inches but anymore would be impractical with the lay of the land.

My question is has anyone done any modifications to lower the mast position while traveling. It looks do-able by modifying where it is mounted, but thought I would ask around first.

It was such a tight fit it took some work to get it in.

Don
Living Water

Bob23

Did deflating the tires help at all?
b23

alsantini

Don.  A few years ago I had to move cars around in a school autoshop with posts.  I purchased a set of 4 dollies that would cradle the tires and lift them an inch or so off of the ground.  With all 4 wheels off of the ground you could easily push the car around.  I would guess that if you remove the tires and put the dollies under the hubs you could move the trailer around and pick up a good 7 inches of additional clearance.  I am going to try and find them on line and will post a link.  Good luck.   Al

alsantini

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_25106.jpg   

This is the units we had.  The part under the tires would move in to hold the tire and lock.  A couple of pumps would pick up the wheel.  The only question I would have is can the part that actually picks up the tire be small enough to pick up a hub.  Good question to ask harbor Freight.  Al

carry-on

The shed looks like metal siding. Not too heavy . If space is clear above the roof, perhaps you could use jacks to lift the shed. Then install a course or two of block and reset the shed on the new foundation.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

Tom L.

Quote from: alsantini on June 14, 2015, 01:36:29 PM
Don.  A few years ago I had to move cars around in a school autoshop with posts.  I purchased a set of 4 dollies that would cradle the tires and lift them an inch or so off of the ground.  With all 4 wheels off of the ground you could easily push the car around.  I would guess that if you remove the tires and put the dollies under the hubs you could move the trailer around and pick up a good 7 inches of additional clearance.  I am going to try and find them on line and will post a link.  Good luck.   Al

Harbor Freight has automotive dollies. The set I saw was good for 1500# for two. May not be heavy enough for your boat and trailer? There is not much weight on the tong so the two trailer wheels holds most of the weight.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

waterwheels

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. My solution for now was to put the boat in the water instead of the driveway. I am much happier and getting more use out of the boat. A slip became available for the rest of the season at a discounted price, so I took it. I had intended to take out after every use but it proved to be not quite as easy as I imagined.
The other night I went out at 8:30pm. caught the sunset and was home by 10 pm. I wouldn't have probably bothered going if I had to trailer and set up and tear down again.

I may still deal with the storage problem later, but for now.......let's go sailing:)

Don
Living Water

Mike K

Have fun sailing!  Yes, being on the water beats being in the garage any day!

I don't know how bad the water is in your area, but without bottom paint, you may want to pull it out of the water and onto the trailer once in a while and knock the critters and slime off before they become permanent residents on your gel coat?
Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25