a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Raising the Sail

Started by Southold, May 31, 2015, 12:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southold

We are new Suncat owners. We're having trouble raising our sail and gaff to full height. Sometimes not even high enough to completely clear the gallows.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

hoddinr

Make sure the downhaul is loose and raise the throat halyard and peak halyard together, keeping the gaff horizontal until the throat is all the way up and then peaking the gaff.

Ron

Dave

Also check the halyard is running free around the blocks on the gaff - can sometimes get twisted making raising sail difficult.

Craig

Also make sure the track is well lubed. I Use Harken Sailcote McLube. Non staining, no grease buildup. Make sure that your throat fitting is not bent. Easy to bend if the fitting is not below the hinge when you lower the mast. Always use the long pin to hold everything below the hinge before lowering the mast to avoid damage. In addition, make sure your sheets are loose and the sail is able to "weathervane" when you are raising sail. Have fun on the bay(and Sound)! I miss the L.I. north shore!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Southold

Thanks for all of the helpful advice.  I'll put them all to use this weekend.

hoddinr

As Dave mentioned, the block on the gaff that raises the peak halyard can get the line twisted.  I was having this problem, and used a short bungee with ball on the end to stop the twisting by wrapping it around and around under the block.  Hasn't twisted since.

Ron

capt_nemo

My SIMPLE, EASY solution for twisted peak halyard around the gaff block was to change the Gaff swivel block to a fixed orientation block. NO MORE TWISTS TO WORRY ABOUT.

capt_nemo

hoddinr

I know I should be able to visualize this, but do you have a photo of the block, Nemo?

Ron

capt_nemo

No photo.

Instead of the original block mounted on the gaff, which was able to SWIVEL 360 degrees I used a block that was FIXED in a fore and aft orientation and unable to SWIVEL and twist the peak halyard. Once you got the halyard started it would align itself properly as the gaff was raised.

capt_nemo

Southold

Who makes the block you installed?

hoddinr

That's the ticket, Nemo!  I'll look for one.

Ron

capt_nemo

Southold,

Any single block properly sized for the halyard line will work as long as it DOES NOT SWIVEL, and is mounted with a shackle that keeps it oriented FORE & AFT.

capt_nemo

Joseph

As said by others, failing to release or untangle the downhaul (and boomvang, if you happen to have one) are the most common reasons for failing to hoist the sail on a first attempt. However, on occasions, one of the lower folds of the sail luff would get caught on one of the metal plates siding the hinge of the mast. A quick step forward to the mast usually is the quickest way to figure out the problem and get the gooseneck past the hinge in the mast.  A word of caution: I dislike going to the mast with the sail half hoisted and the boom resting on the gallows. Hence, I tighten the topping lift to lift the boom clear from the gallows before stepping forward.

J.

"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365