Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Spam from this forum

Started by Scott Statz, August 14, 2006, 10:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Statz

Hello
Thanks to this forum I have been getting Spamed to %$_)@#@&.
I have changed my email address in the profile page.

I provided my e-mail address for registration but I didn't realize that you are so inconsiderate as to make it available to anyone!

Thanks for nothing!
I'm pissed!

Scott Statz

CaptK

Scott -

I don't know what your issue is, or why you are blaming spam on us, but we certainly *ARE NOT* "so inconsiderate as to make it (your email address) available to anyone". I hate spam and spammers, probably - likely, even - to a MUCH larger degree than you do. This site does not spam, and in fact, I do what I can to keep email addresses away from spammers.

For instance, if I ever see anyone post their email address in the clear, as soon as I see it, I go back and edit it so that spammers *can't* see it. You can check this by looking in the help forum, in the logging-in issues thread. There are many edited-to-protect email addresses and user names in there.

In the Admin section of this forum software, I have checked the box which says "Allow users to hide their email from everyone except admins.". That particular box has been that way since the day this software was installed, and, in fact, comes that way by default upon installation of this software.

In your own User Profile settings, there is another checkbox which says "Hide email address from public?". *You* can check or uncheck that box, but noone else can.

When your profile is viewed by other members or the general public, the area where your email address would be displayed will look like this :

MSN:
  YIM:
  Email:   hidden
  Current Status: Online

Note: I see this exact same thing using 3 different browsers, and also using an anonymous proxy while using this browser (so that it doesn't register me as logged-in Admin).

Now, maybe you can see your email address in your profile, but that is because it is *your* address, and *your* profile.

Perhaps you are having a bad Monday, and jumped to your conclusion because of this. Whatever the reason for your outburst, this forum and this site have nothing to do with spam you have recieved.

Someone else is the reason for your being "pissed", not us.

We do the best we can to make anyone and everyones visit here as enjoyable and as hassle-free as possible.

Except for spammers.

I see that you are relatively new to our site, so perhaps you don't understand or know just yet some of these things. However, might I suggest that in the future if you have any complaints or accusations about how the forum/site is run, you take them up with me, first and foremost? That would probably be best for all concerned. :)
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

dusty

scripts are out there that constantly attach to email servers asking:

* is "aaaa" a valid recipient?
* is "aaab" a valid recipient?
* is "aaba" a valid recipient?
* etc, etc, etc, etc, etc

Scott Statz

I am new to all of this and I aplogize.  I am learning the ins and outs.  Thanks for the advice and I hope that my outlash can be forgiven!

Sincerely,

M. Scott Statz

dusty

well, that all depends, now, doesn't it, mr statz?

i need someone to make a sail to thailand and back for a shipment of temple kiff.

8)

CaptK

No prob, Scott. :) Enjoy that 23, and have fun here at the forums! :)

Dusty - thanks for the input, I'll have to see what "kiff" is inna bit. :)
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

knomevol

kiff. ahn, don't bother. it's a deception of what is

LConrad

I have been a member for more than a year and have not seen any increase in spam due to this forum.  Thanks CaptK