a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What have you done to your Eclipse?

Started by alsantini, May 11, 2015, 07:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

How about we start a thread about what everyone has done to their Eclipse since they bought it?  Personally I would love to hear of changes that we have made to this great boat.  I know we do not have a lot of Eclipses floating around but there has to be changes that some of us have made.  So what do you say?  What have you done to your Eclipse since you have owned it?  Let us all know what hull number you have too.
I guess I can start this off.  Hull #49 2007 that I have owned for just about a year.  I am the third owner.  Once I sailed her a bit I found out some things that I wanted to change - not necessarily to improve but to make her mine.  First I changed out the sink pump.  The one in the boat had already been re-built and still would loose its prime if left over a couple of days.  Replaced with a Whale and have had no problems since.  Next I decided that there was more drag than I liked on the genoa sheets as they ran through the tang on the front of the cam cleat.  I choose Harken Extreme Angle Cam cleats that allow me to adjust the sheet easily from just about any angle.  I had a set of these on my Precision 21 and really loved them.  I need to raise them up an inch or so and then they will be perfect.  Under heavy loads the sheet does not go into the cleat all the way.  It stays put but raising up the cleat will insure that it will always seat deep into the cams.  Next I added a tiller extension and lock box.  Picked Forespar and installed it while in Florida over the winter.  It comes in handy when I single hand and want to raise the sail, lower the sail or put a reef in.  I have ordered the cam cleat to allow me to have the main sheet at the boom gallows.  Eddie has done this mod and even has pictures.  I have ordered the unit with  a cam cleat.  Using the cam cleat will have the main sheet drop down off the boom gallows, which should improve operation especially with people on board.  If I am single handing, I will use the stock set-up running the line on the starboard side.  That's about it for me.  Although I am switching over the trailer fenders from the super heavy galvanized ones to lighter aluminum ones.  Less vibration and hopefully less bracket breakage.  It will be a summer project with completion prior to taking Off The Wind South again for winter next year.  That's my story and I am sticking to it!!  Sail on everyone.  Whose boat is in the water NOW.    Al

kickingbug1

al, you got me thinking about this past winter. when you go south adopt me and take me along---i do windows
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Vectordirector

Hey all,

I haven't done much to the boat other than replacing the worn out rudder assembly.  The boat came well equipped so I didn't need to do much.  One clever idea that my buddy Arthur came up with was a lashing system for the main.  We pop riveted two little hooks on the port side of the boom, one about a third of the way back from the mast, and the other about one third of the way forward from the end.  On the starboard side equally spaced are two rings riveted to the boom.  We ran a piece of shock cord through the rings and tied the shock cord off with figure eight knots.  Instead of using traditional sail ties, after the sail is lowered, I just wrap the shock cord over the top of the sail and hook it in the hooks.  This keeps the main nicely furled and only takes seconds compared to minutes with the sail ties.  It works great.  When it is time to raise the sail it takes 5 seconds to unhook the shock cord and it then stows itself along the starboard side of the boom completely out of the way.  I'll post pics next time I have the sail cover off.  I was hesitant to try this as I hate cutting holes in things, but I have to admit it is the best way to furl the main, simple, quick and foolproof.  We also replaced the reefing line with a slightly larger one as the jaws weren't holding the other one when the wind piped up.  One great thing about the Eclipse is that it lets you know in no uncertain terms when it is over powered.  Weather helm gets unbearable and the boat rounds up.  Reducing sail fixes that.  The reefing system is easy, once I figured it out.  I've never had a boat with a reefing main, what a great help it is when needed.  I have no problem in 20 knots of wind with a reef in the main. 

I find that the stock spinlock cleats like to be lubed with sailkote about once a week. they work much better, I have gotten used to them, and I have no problems with them, as long as there is load the line.  Sailkote on the gooseneck and the sail track helps in getting the main up and down quickly too. 

Tiller extension is very helpful, I got the 48" extendible one from Forespar.  I used to sit back by the engine most of the time.  With the extension I sit up by the cabin.  The boat sails better with my weight moved forward and I can see the tell tails on the jib better and don't have to constantly look up at the masthead fly.  My neck is much happier. 

Everything else is just maintenance due to the boat being out in the Florida sun.  2 coats of Cetol last week.  Hope that lasts a year, probably won't. 

The tiller pilot is also highly recommended, if one sails solo, it came with the boat, so I can't take credit for that.  I have a full dodger I've never used, can't see needing it, as well as a spinnaker, new in the box.  Still deciding if I want to try it.  I have no idea how to rig it, I'm sure if I asked nicely someone can tell me how it is done.  I have all the hardware for it on the boat, I think. 

The next thing I'm going to do is rig up a solar panel to trickle charge the battery.  Still studying up on that.  I wish the boat had drink holders in the cockpit, gotta think about that one.  Anyone have any ideas?

Can't think of much more to do.  Maybe a GPS. 

Since I day sail the boat, I really don't need a lot of "stuff".  The boat also came with like new cockpit cushions,2 brand new in the bag fenders, 2 anchors, about 8 dock lines, 2 life jackets, tool kit, first aid kit, throw cushion, gin pole/mast raising system/vang, bimini, canvas covers for the tiller and engine, spare prop, spare fuel line, spare spark plug, deep cycle battery, fish finder, porta potti, 2 3 Gallon gas tanks, single burner butane stove, plastic storage bins hidden about full of plastic bags, shock cords, and butane fuel cans and so on.  Much of it looks brand new.  I didn't need to buy much. 

I hear it has been unseasonably warm up there Al, have you been sailing?  I'm arriving Thursday at 5 PGD-RFD.  Deb is picking me up.  Not sure what the plan is after that, but if I get some free time I'll let you know.  Monday or Tuesday may be do-able.

Hey, kickingbug, if I ever decide to sell my boat, you'll be first on the list.  I think I read somewhere that you want an Eclipse.  Come on down to Punta Gorda sometime, flights are cheap out of Rockford or Springfield, which ever is closer for you.  The sailing is GREAT.  We can go out on my friend's Corsair, you'd love that.

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

Cool Bryan.  I would guess you are one of just a few with a tiller pilot but I get tempted every so often.   Weather here is up and down as it usually is in the Spring.  Today I am out at the Lake (Summerset) getting stuff ready for the season.  I have a powerboat to unmothball, a wave runner to get running and an MCScow to get in the water and on the rack that I sail off of.  Had the Eclipse out last week.  Lots of wind so lots of fun.  Hell of a time getting her back into the slip since the wind was straight out of the South and my slip is facing East and on the South end of the opening.  No 0ther boat sharing the slip as of yet but it is early.  Winds were 25-30 when I motored in.  Had the outboard in reverse with 1/3 throttle to slow down.  The turn into the slip was the challenge.  As soon as I would get close the wind would blow me into the north end of the slip or 10 feet away from my lines.  Eventually I got her in and tied up.  I plan on sailing on Thursday.  Beautiful right now.  Sun streaming off the water and 55 degrees, with a NW wind at about 15 mph.  Been windy and cloudy all day until just a few hours ago.
I had a similar system to flake the sail on a
Catalina that I had.  Worked well except when the winds piped up then it would come apart at either end.  Perhaps the start points for the shock cord were not far enough apart.
Kickenbug...  Where do you live and where do you sail.  perhaps I know this just cannot put my finger on it.  If you are near Pistakee Lake in N Illinois, you can always come sailing?

Vectordirector

Sounds like you will be busier than I, and I'm getting the house ready for sale!  That's a lot of toys.  Hope you get to use them enough with the short season up there.  That docking scenario sounds like a lot of fun.  Glad you made it without breaking something.  I had a run in with my dock the other day.  I pushed the engine into forward instead of reverse, while trying to back in so I could seal the starboard eyebrow teak.  I couldn't get to it with the port side of the boat dockside.  I needed to turn it around.  The wind caught me, spun me around and the stern made a rather nasty bump on the dock before I could fend it off.  Only damage was to my 3 month old rudder control arm.  Bent it pretty bad and it wasn't locking in any more.  I emailed Matt @ Compac on Saturday, ordered a new one, and it arrived and I installed it today, just finishing before a nasty storm came in.  Glad I wasn't out when that one hit.  Lots of lightning, rain, wind gusts I saw online were 43Kts @ Charlotte Harbor Yacht Club, looked like more than that to me funnelling down the canal.  Sky didn't look green like up north, just black clouds with huge tops.  It was fun to watch from the safety of my lanai.  I now have three rudder control arms.  One useless that I should probably pitch, the newer I did bend somewhat back into shape after I replaced it.  It may or may not work, I'll keep it as a backup.  And the brand new one.  One of the best things about Compacs, the factory is 2 hours away and Matt can hook you up with any thing boat specific that you need.  Takes away the worry of breaking something. 

Talk to you soon,

Bryan
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

Where are all the rest of you?  Can't believe that no one has done any modifications?  Is the Eclipse the "perfect" boat that cannot be personalized to meet needs?  I find it interesting that 145 sailors have read the original post but only Vector Kickingbug and I have commented....  My new block to transform the main sheet system arrived yesterday.  A thing of beauty.  I am looking forward to installing it and plan on using it when I have additional adults in the cockpit.  When I am single hand, I will use the factory set-up.  The addition of the cam cleat to the block at the boom gallows allows either to function.

kickingbug1

southern illinois at lake carlyle  "clr fame"
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

waterwheels

A few little things done on "Living Water"
The first mate really outdid herself. Not only did she make memory foam and mattress pad protector but made a nautical quilt with hand embroidered anchor patches.

Make my little job in the cockpit seem pretty week in comparison.

Don

alsantini

Looks good Don.  Showed my wife the quilt work - don't think it is happening....  Question.  I see form your pic of the cockpit that you have installed the optional transom boards.  At least I think the strips visible in the pic are from the boards??  How do you use them?  Do you like them?  Do you feel it is a good addition?

waterwheels

Alsantini,

Ya I was very proud of my first mate's efforts on the quilt. She embroidered little anchors all winter.

You are correct, the strips are for transom boards. I actually have only had the boat out twice (ever) and did not use the boards either time. I can see them being good in heavy weather to keep things in the cockpit, however I am a firm believer that there should never be anything loose the cockpit to trip on anyway. So kind of mixed feelings, the boards are just one more thing to slow you down when launching and one more thing to store and possible trip over when docking. I will let you know as I get out more whether I use them or not.
I am dry sailing this year so want to keep the launch and retrieval process as simple and quick as possible. 

Don "Living Water"

lkm

Well I'm just starting out so only have a mods in planning
- I did paint the boat as noted on my prior post.

Also I bought a solar charger to keep the battery fresh, but have yet to install that.

The prior owner(s) did provide several additions/changes however.
- He bought a new trailer and outfitted with disc brakes and running boards
- He had a custom boom tent made

- He also had a little extension board and cockpit cushion made to extend the port cockpit seat back to the motor mount.    You can see this bracket in this photo

This allows sleeping outside in the boom tent (which goes around this).   I tried - its comfortable, but I don't know how it compares to sleeping inside.
- The boat also came with an raymarine autopilot and tiller clutch that seems handy for single handing.  Also a hiking stick
- The main sheet was reconfigured where a block comes off near the gallows and ties around jam cleats on the side.  The jam cleats are nice, but I will be asking more questions about how to configure the mainsheet.  The prior owner indicated that he didn't like the length of the sheet when going up to the boom because it took too long to drop the main.  I'll play with this but at least initially don't like this mod since now the sheet crosses the cockpit.

I do have a couple of mods Ive seen here that I would like to do.
- EclipseGuy (I think) had a line from the mast to just in front of the hatch to guide the jibsheets across because the genoa was getting caught on the stub of the mastender bracket.  The prior owner of my boat indicated that this was an issue, but didn't know of that fix.  Has anyone else tried his trick (or come up with their own)?  John, if your still out there - I'm interested in your trick but a stupid newby question - how did you attach the eye to your mast?  did you just drill holes and use self taping screws, or is there some trick to getting inside the mast to put a nut on the backside? 
- I love waterwheels cushions and quilt.   Need to get my wife to do the same.

Larry
2005 Eclipse #20 - Figaro

alsantini

Some cool mods Larry.  I am thinking of an autopilot and now that 2 people on the board have them, I will contemplate even more.  I forgot that I have installed extreme angle cam cleats (Harken) for the genoa sheets.  I did not like the friction that the original setup caused.  Gonna raise them up a bit this summer and then they will be perfect.  I also added some line handlers that allow me to roll up the genoa sheets and the halyard when not in use.  This way they do not sit on the cockpit seat and absorb rain water when I am not on the boat.  As soon as I get the posting of pics down I will post all my mods.  Fair winds all.
Al

alsantini

Well, it took me a while to get into photobucket but I think I got it down.  Cool addition.  Guess I will store all my photos of Off The Wind in it to make it easier to post.   Here is a pic of the line handlers and the extreme angle cam cleat.  I have the two line handlers on the starboard side as shown and one on the port side for the jib halyard.  I think they just make it neater and keep the lines out of standing water when it rains.

[/URL]][/img]

Vectordirector

Love the line handlers Al.  Where did you get them?  Do you have to drill through the hull to install? 

By the way, I'm heading back south tomorrow.  Sorry we couldn't get together but it has been crazy and I needed a day to catch up.  Weather has sucked too.  Talk to you soon. 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

Line handlers are a West Marine product.  I used then on my P 21 also.  One hole in the hull, some caulk and a self tapping screw.  The liner inside the cabin covers up the hole.  After the hole is drilled use a larger drill to enlarge just a bit only into the gel coat.  This prevents cracking.
Weather has really sucked, that is for sure.  Only been out 4 times in 4 weeks.  House on the market?  Enjoy.  See you in Nov.  I am teaching in Orlando week after next, so a little Florida sunshine will be absorbed.  5 days of training for Florida Dealers Association.