a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Help with fiberglass

Started by lvtoclimb@comcast.net, May 10, 2015, 04:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lvtoclimb@comcast.net

Hello, I'm new to the forum and it looks like there's some really good stuff here.  I have a 1976 Compac 16 that I'm trying to ready for the summer season.  With an older boat comes the privilege of working on and maintaining her.  I was wanting to put on some new swivel base cam cleat fairleads to replace the existing (worthless cams) that came with it.  After the removal of the old ones, Walla, spider cracks around the entire area where the original cams were.  I'm guessing these are more than just cosmetic gel-coat scratches?  I'm wandering If I will need to grind all the way down and re-glass for structural support?  Also, is this particular area blocked with wood or thick glass underneath?  It's the one area I can't seem to get to in order look at it.  Just want to find out what's actually supporting the cams in this location?

The second area of concern is around the top of the companionway where the cabin top is separating from the deck.  

I've done a little gel-coat work and would be willing to give it a go with these fiberglass projects.  Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

I've attached a link to Flickr  to see more details( https://www.flickr.com/photos/113479414@N02/sets/72157652180427860 ).

NEW LINK
Thanks
Sean

brackish

lvtoclimb@comcast.net

Not sure, It pulls right up when I click on it...

Jon898

Link asks for a login to Yahoo...not very helpful.

lvtoclimb@comcast.net

OK, thanks.  I'll have to figure out how to post on this site.  I tried the other day but it wouldn't let me put in anything over 178 KB- that's not even enough for one pic in todays standards.  The link works when I pull it up.  I'll try to figure something else out. 

Thanks for looking, and will get something on here.