a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

C-27 Sea Hood

Started by deisher6, May 09, 2015, 01:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deisher6

Keith Scott said of the 38 or so C-27's that he has sold only two did not have sea hoods installed.  Windrunner is one of those.  Our new '86 did have one installed and other than neat looking cowl vents it was really not functional, providing only minimal ventilation.  Recently while looking at C-27's i noticed the vent SS vent guards. 

Bottom line:  I installed the sea hood assembly to have the vent guard to use as a hand hold and tie off place.  Cost about 1.2 BU.  Used butyl tape to bed and 1 inch #8 ss screws to fasten it.

The deck was about 1 inch thick where I drilled a 4.25 inch hole from the top, and a 5 inch hole 1/2 way through from the bottom.

A 4 inch vent pipe with screen stretched over the end sits on top of the interior deck plate.  I used fast set 3m 4000 to set the pipe.  Note the marks for the forward edge of the hood and hatch.

The cowl vents were marked port and starboard.  I do not know why but I suspect that it had to do with clearance from the guard.  There was just about 1/4 inch clearance when screwing in the cowl vents.  I would pay close attention to this clearance if I were just installing the guard on an existing sea hood.

Finished views.

wes

Nice, Charlie! Very curious how much airflow you get down below when underway with the vent open.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

deisher6

Hey Wes:
Just got the hood installed this afternoon between rain squaws.  Previously on our first 27 the ventilation underway was negligible.  The hatches let in so much more air.  Like I said, I put it on for the cowl vent guard.  I have used that already several times to lever my tired old butt up on top of the coach roof.

Watch for the clearance between the vents (as you install or remove them) and the guard when you install yours.

regards charlie

Allure2sail

Hi Charlie:
Please tell me that's not a dock line with a fender attached to it that is tied off to the teak grab rail ???? Use a cleat that mounts on your 1" tracks, they are location adjustable and are so much stronger than the wooden grab rail on the cabin roof.
Just my two cents
Bruce
S/V Allure