a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

SunCat mast wires.

Started by steve brown, May 05, 2015, 09:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve brown

I have been trying without continued sauces to avoid cutting the mast head and anchor light wires when raising  the mast. I try to keep them tucked down in the tabernacle but they seem to get pinched in the closure on too many occasions. Would anyone care to offer advice on this? I almost think it would be nice to have an external connection between the mast and tabernacle. Thank you. Steve

capt_nemo

steve,

Recommend you try attaching a short length of light bungee cord to the electrical wires with the other end of the bungee cord attached somewhere INSIDE the mast extrusion such that the cord tension would ALWAYS keep the wires taut (and out of harm's way) when the mast is raised. You may have to play around with this idea a bit, but it should work.

capt_nemo

Floridagent

The factory ought to do a better job of designing this!
I am going to try a length of black polyethylene split loom tubing to provide wire protection. You can get it at Lowes, Home Depot, or Harbor Freight.
I used it on my trailer wiring and I used it to protect the wires coming from my Tohatsu's alternator up front to the battery.
//Bob
"Cay Cat"     (say "keycat")

steve brown

Well Matey's I tried another solution with the help of a very clever friend. I had each pair of wires wrapped with that stretchy rubber electrical tape. We then twisted the two bundles together and wrapped them with a good quality electrical tape. When I raised the mast my friend observed the total bundle of wires slip neatly down into the tabernacle. Maybe I solved the problem. thanks to those who responded to my problem. Steve

capt_nemo

steve,

Ain't it great when a plan comes together?!

Glad you found a solution that works.

capt_nemo