a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Little Wing Mods

Started by Paul, August 11, 2006, 07:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Yes, it's true.  She has a some blisters.  Little Wing has carried old bottom paint for a loooooonnnnnngg time.  Guess what was hiding underneath.  Actually, I spotted the first blisters a while back at the waterline.  Then decided this summer it was time to investigate before matters really got out a hand.

Here's a LINK to the evidence thus far.

Plan:  Open blisters.  Fill and Fair with epoxy.  Lay proper barrier coat and finish with a quality bottom paint job.

Check out the progress every once in a while.  If you don't see much going on prior to the finish, just give me a jolt and wake me up! ;)

Paul

Thus far, the "blisters" are pin holes that, as I understand it, are all too common in fiberglass boats of all makes.  Evidently, there's a difference between this type of "dry" blister and a hydraulic blister.  The pinhole type may just be cosmetic at this point, while the hydraulic type can be more destuctive, i.e., delamination.  I consulted a boatyard a while back as we hauled the boat.  He stated then, it was merely cosmetic and to just sail her and enjoy her.  Evidently, he was right.  But, those little buggers were driving me up a wall.  Can't stand to see them at the waterline, plus I'm just curious, wanting to make sure all is well structurally as well as cosmetically.  You can imagine how imbarrassed I've been about the old bottom paint.

Well, NOW is the time for me to take care of this.  This upcoming weekend will involve fairing and barrier coating.  Then new bottom paint and back on the trailer.  We'll see how far I get. ;)