a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cruising the Abacos

Started by cw021382, April 21, 2015, 05:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cw021382

I am starting this thread because I know Tom and I are interested in cruising to the Abacos next year.  I figure we can share ideas here and maybe Frank will clue us in to things we might otherwise miss.

The wife and I will try to make the trip from June 1st to the end of July 8 weeks more or less.  I have not decided if the heat, rain, and constant humidity are something I want to brave this time of the year.  Has anyone been there during this time?  Frank, where did you depart and what was your route?  I read of a guy that did the trip in a potter 19 with 2 other people and a dog!  Wow, that is not for this guy.  A 23 is small enough with just me and the wife.  I don't know if it was him or not but somewhere I heard that leaving from west palm and sailing to memory rock then to great sale cay was a good way to cross.  Then clear in in new plymouth. 

-Chris

archimedes

I've always wondered how a CP23 would do in the Bahamas with its shallow draft.   Has anyone ever done the crossing with a CP23?

cw021382

I have read about  3 or 4 that have done the trip.  I don't think it is any more dangerous than any other boat making the crossing, with normal precautions.  I would rather be on a 23 than many of the powerboats that regularly go to the Bahamas.  The shallow draft is a nice feature.  Frank a cpyoa member has done the Abacos in a 23ph.  Hey Frank, is that your boat on the compac website with the maroon canvas?  I know they said it cruised the Bahamas. 

-Chris

brackish

Quote from: archimedes on April 21, 2015, 06:33:52 PM
I've always wondered how a CP23 would do in the Bahamas with its shallow draft.   Has anyone ever done the crossing with a CP23?

http://www.statesman.com/news/travel/an-island-adventure-sailing-the-bahamas-1/nRXjK/

These guys used to have a very long Blog with about a thousand pics of their CP23 Bahama trip.  I've lost the link.

A 23 would do great in the Bahamas, particularly in Abaco.  I did a bareboat charter there about 15 years ago and chartered a Hunter passage 42.  While a very comfortable boat, it drew about 5' as I recall and we were constantly channel bound not able to sail freely.  The 23 would be less restricted.

frank

Yep. I've crossed the stream and cruised the Abacos in a CP23PH, a CP 25 and CP27  (among others)

The 23 is a great boat for Bahamas!!!! SOooo many places to tuck into. SOooo many times you'll love shallow draft!!
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

capt_nemo

Cruised the Bahamas twice for months at a time.

First time on a 35' Sailboat and second time on a 36' Trawler.

BOTH boats were of reasonable shallow draft and were a pleasure to have to fully enjoy Bahamian Waters.

Just keep a good weather eye for crossings of the Gulf Stream, AND FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T ADHERE TO A STRICT SCHEDULE AND DO SOMETHING STUPID LIKE ATTEMPT A CROSSING WITH A NORTHERLY COMPONENT IN THE WIND DIRECTION.

capt_nemo

frank

Yep.....a fellow did it on a Potter 19 with his son, his son's girl friend "hippie chic" and a dog!
By memory, he left from the Keys to Bimini, then up to Port Lucaya (Freeport), cut across the
canals and came out on the sea of Abaco S of Mangove Cay.

He wrote about it, was online years ago. A really good...and FUNNY writer!

If you are planning the Abacos, get the "Explorer Chartbook" "Near Bahamas"
Get it early as there is an absolute TON of info inside...from crossing, to customs.
to local knowledge, medical, marinas, anchorages, services etc. The cruisers bible
for Bahamas. Do NOT buy another brand.....these charts are excellent and worth
every penny. Super detailed and take the guess work out.

Just counted...I've got 16 crossings in...7 solo. Departure depends on your preferred route.
I really like leaving from Lake Worth (Riviera Beach/West Palm) Wide, well marked, easy in
the dark and no where near as busy as Ft Lauderdale or Miami. Far more ships waiting around
in those 2. Depending on wind, it is possible to make the West End from Lake Worth but with
the stream...Memory Rock is easier.

Too much to peck out...easiest to buy a chart book and with it in front of you, we'll talk by phone.
It all makes more sense when you 'see it' and then you can pencil in notes for various islands. There
are definite "must see's" and some "gotta anchor" spots. Take your mask and snorkel. We took tanks
back in 02, but the water is both SO clear and SO shallow that they weren't needed.

Planning and dreaming is the best part!!   :-)

frank

thomeng55

Thanks Frank...

It might be interesting/ fun?? to actually have people interest get the explorer charts then hold a skype or web gathering and go through it with you.  Share thoughts and ideas with a couple of us at the same time.

Of course, I'd have to ask my daughters how to actually skype. 

Tom
SV TomCat

archimedes

I regularly sail on a rented CP23 and had always dreamed of taking one to the Bahamas.  Glad to know it's possible. 

I have had very little luck finding a CP23 in good condition and nearby for sale.  A C25 with a 4' draft in great shape and at a great price has come available.  To those that have done the Bahamas how much of a difference would the add'l 1'9" draft make in cruising the Bahamas.

I love the CP23 and the shallow draft is great but the add'l interior space when you go up to a 25 footer in huge.  I'm not sure if I would regret having a 4' draft though - having never been to the Bahamas.  I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has done it.

Tom L.

We wintered three year in the Abacos. Cruising a Catalina C-380 with 5'-6" draft. Most cruisers over there draw between 5 and 6 feet but 4 is better. It's not a problem. You do have to use charts and sometimes time a passage for high or mid tide. But it's all do-able. The explorer charts mentioned are invaluable. They are far superior to any government chart. Cruising there in the summer would be way less crowded but you really have to watch for hurricanes.

The gulf stream crossings will be easier in the summer. We had to time everything very carefully to avoid any wind with a northerly (NE, NW, N) component and there are a lot of winter fronts that are out of the north almost constantly. Summer not so much. Carry a lot of fuel and motorsail through the Gulf Stream as fast as you can so the window for favorable wind doesn't close. And let the weather conditions drive your schedule not some time frame. One winter we were anchored in Lake Worth for 6 weeks along with dozens of other cruisers waiting for that all important weather window. The window came and bang the entire fleet left about midnight to make Great Sail the next night. There is a lot of communications among the other cruisers so you can hook up and have buddy boats. Good for safety.

Hurricanes are the big issue to me. I can't imagine trying to out run one in a small boat. So you just have to have a contingency plan to find a hurricane hole. Nothing is very high there so in a sever storm there is no hurricane hole. Hauling out and hoping for the best would probably be the best plan.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

cw021382

I just purchased the chartbook.  I paid 69.95 and free shipping for the newest edition, the 7th.  Here is the link
http://www.bluewaterweb.com/p-50399-explorer-chartbook-near-bahamas-7th-ed.aspx

Frank, please PM me your number.  Thanks.

-Chris

thomeng55

Frank and Chris...

My Dream Book (er.... I mean Explorer Near Bahama Chart Book) is also on order.

Looking forward to getting your comments, insight, wisdom, anecdotes, etc to add to the book.

Tom
SV TomCat
Hammond, IN

cw021382

We really should do a 3 way call so Frank does not have to go over everything more than once.  Tom, where did you order from? 

-Chris

cw021382

Anyone have any ideas where a guy could leave his truck and trailer for 1-2 months in the Lake worth area?

-Chris