Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

trailering,launching and hauling

Started by pmj, August 21, 2004, 08:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmj

Hello,
We visited a Compac dealer today and saw the beautiful new c 23.
Wow, just gorgeous. It was very big...much bigger and higher on the trailer than I expected. I would like to here about the ease or difficulty of haul,launch and mast set up of the c23. We have a full size Sierra pick-up V8,4WD vehicle.
Thanks,
Joanie

Craig

Joanie,

The 23 is a trailerable sailboat, not a trailer-sailor.  I own a 16 and rig and launch it every time I sail.  It is a trailer-sailor and takes me all of 15 to 20 minutes to rig and launch.  I helped a friend rig and launch his 23 when we spent several days sailing on the Ohio River.  It took close to 2 hours.  While I suspect that time could be cut in half, the 23 is too much to think about rigging, launching, and then retrieving and de-rigging everytime you sail.  If you plan on leaving the boat in the water most of the time and  trailering it for those two, three, or more night cruises the 23 is a GREAT boat.  Very comfortable and easy to sail.  Even if you have a place where you can leave a 23 rigged and only launch and retrieve it that might be worth the effort.  If you plan on trailing your boat home after every sail look at the Eclipse.

Your tow vehicle should be capable of comfortably pulling a 23.  Check the owners manual to see where the GVCWR is, or what you're rated to tow.

Craig

jaguaretype

Joanie, Craig is correct in his distinction between the 23 (a trailorable sailboat, and the 16 (a trailor sailor).  It takes a minimum of an hour to set up and and another hour to take down the 23.  However, with the proper equipment (for me about $40 of parts, plus line, plus boom vang), one can single-handedly step the mast, set the rigging and launch the boat.  Because of the time involved to set it up, the 23 is more of a 'weekend' rather than 'day' sailor.  I think the new 23s weigh in at 3200 lbs.  The trailer probably weighs about another 1000 lbs.  And you'll probably add about another 500 lbs in equipment.  I believe the Sierra V8 4WD can tow 6500 lbs, so you should be OK so far as towing.  Hauling is not difficult.  Jay.

Bob P.

At about 5000lbs for everything your vehicle should be able to take
the tow load easily. We towed our 23 to her new slip with our F-150
5.8l 4WD no problems. I can definitely see where 4WD is very sweet getting up some of the steeper ramps.

I think others are correct about rigging time. We've only done it a couple
of times but it took about 2 hrs. With more experience and aids it probably could be done in just over 1hr.

If you are looking at true trailersailing, take a look at the new Eclipse.
It looks a little less traditional, but it has the Mastender setup, which I'd bet you could rig about 10-15min. You probably lose about 25-30% total space compared to the 23. We saw it on two completed boats at the factory.

The Eclipse would have been a contender, but slip fees in Texas are downright cheap, and I can't store the boat on our property due to local covenance codes. We only plan on trailering to different locations 1-2 times a year, and the trailer will just fit in our garage.

Hope that helps

pmj

Thanks for the responses.We hope to see a C23 in Maine within the next week or so, provided it is still for sale.  

Joanie