a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

why I-pad vs android

Started by Tom L., April 03, 2015, 07:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L.

Well here goes, I am going to show my electronic ignorance again. But why does everybody seem to talk I-pad for navigation/gps. Why not android? I think it would be way less expensive. Right now I use a Garmin 78sc with water proof paper chart back back up. The Garmin is used and I got it for $130.00 a year ago. I don't think the owner had a clue how to use it because it showed no wear. The only problem is such a small screen. But it does work really good.

But the question is why I-pad vs android?

This is going to sound really stupid but can the garmin drive another tablet?

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

rbh1515

I think there may be more nav apps for iPad than Android.  You just have to see what is available.
Also, I think you need 3G/4G service for your tablet to be able to use it for nav, or you need wi fi on your boat.
I currently just use a traditional GPS, but a frind uses his iPad mini with 4G and loves it.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Tom L.

I thought as long as you have a built in GPS in your note pad that a wifi connection was not needed. Its likely that I would get out of cell tower range so cell service would not be available.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

crazycarl

Tom,

That was my thinking also, I installed an app on my Samsung 4 tablet and placed items around the yard.  When I returned for them I was impressed with the accuracy.

However, on a recent road trip, I tried to use it and nada.

Useless on a boat.

CC
lowest of the low tech guys

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Craig

Wi-fi not needed. IPads and IPhones have gps built in. My IPhone tracked all the pix I took on a Caribbean cruise w/gps......no cell connection. I use my old IPhone on Kailani for navigation with iSailGPS app. It is not activated w/Verizon. Wi-Fi and gps only. Also makes a good backup for emergency since any cell phone can make a 911 call, activated or not.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

rbh1515

Just talked to a friend that uses his iPad...the answer is that it depends on the iPad.  iPad 1 or 2--no go.  iPad 3 with retina-yes, do not need 3G/4G service.
Rob

crazycarl

Bet they wish had GPS in the gold days of sailing...

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Tom L.

GPS is a really great invention. We sailed to The Bahamas in 02 and 03 and entered the Bahama Bank north of the Abacos. Not a land mark in sight but we went right through the cut in 14 feet of water and navigated down to Great Sail for the first night. We drew about 5'-9" so most of the bank was too shallow. But there are great charts of the area that give safe routs with way points.

Tom L.

hoddinr

Ask Simon about this, Tom.  He just bought or was given a little hockey puck sized GPS device that is also used in Airplanes, and it communicates with his iPad 1 via bluetooth.
No GPS or 3/4 G cell service needed.  Each needs it's own battery power but it's very minimal.

Ron

Tim

If your iPad is 3/4 G ready it will have a built in gps. If it's not cell network ready it wont know where it is unless it's connected to a wifi network.
The iPad does have more app options. One of my favorite sailing apps is Isailor. I have an older iPad w/o a gps chip but I use the Bad Elf GPS receiver which pairs to the iPad and also my phone (at the same time). It's a great solution for giving old devices a new life!

Tim

hoddinr

Bad Elf - that's probably the one that Simon has, Tim.

His old iPad doesn't have 3G or GPS, but it has bluetooth to connect to the GPS unit!

Ron

Tom L.

thanks Tim and Ron. I don't know what I am going to do since I really have a very good Garmin 78sc. The only problem is the screen is very Small. Tim How well can you see the I-Pad in the direct sunlight? The 78sc is very good in the sun, it is just small.

Wonder if the 78sc could somehow be linked to an I-pad?

Tom L.

rbh1515

Tim,
Great info...I'll buy one!
Rob

hoddinr

Tim

Tom,

I can usually see the iPad fine. I also use my phone quite a bit if I'm driving into a tricky harbor and need to be constantly looking for covered rocks (one hand on the tiller and one holding the phone). Some of the harbors of CT that I anchor in are full of rocks!

I really love the Bad Elf / isailor combo. Plus the isailor is such a deal, I think most major areas are 5 bucks. And having an anchor alarm on the phone/ iPad in bed with you is a major comfort.

Tim