a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Best Route from Panama City to St Pete?

Started by atrometer, April 03, 2015, 12:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atrometer

What is the best route for a 25' sailboat preferably with several/three EASY stops on the way?

Tom L.

Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

crazycarl

Quote from: Tom L. on April 03, 2015, 04:28:04 PM
I-75 North to I-10 West. No stops.

LOL!

Only a trailer sailor would give such an answer.

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

hoddinr

You can make it in two easy days Gus.

I-10 to  Perry FL on US19 -(there are a couple of different exits to get there) - get a hotel - I like the Holiday Inn Express on the east side of the highway near the south end of town - set back.

Perry FL - US 19 south to Homossassa - Hwy 50 East to 589 expressway (4 miles)  - Takes you right down to the Howard Franklin Bridge and into St. Pete.

crazycarl

OK, maybe i didn't understand the question.

I thought he wanted directions for SAILING to St. Pete!

CC
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Tom L.

CC I think you are right. I was just goofing off.
Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Bob23

Whaaaat??? Goofing off on this site??? Unspeakable!!!

Gerry

Just made this trip this week.  Best route to avoid super high speed is I10 to just east of Tallahassee, then Hwy 19 all the way to St. Pete.  Hwy 19 in Pinellas County has lots of lights but it is wide if you stay in middle lanes.  This route avoids Tampa and adds little or no time to the trip.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

Tom L.

Having thought some more about it, if you are talking highway directions, be aware that I-75 can become a parking lot during certain holidays and spring break.

Tom L.

atrometer

The boat I am looking at buying won't go on I75 unless I have a trailer - I don't

hoddinr

Oh!  Sorry, I thought you had a trailer, Gus!

Ron

Tom L.

Gus, I have never sailed that area but it is refered to as The Big Ben. It is very shallow and there are no barrier islands. Google Florida The Big Ben. Wikipedia (sp) says there is 220 miles of shallow coast line and no barrier islands. I think most boats sail or power  leave the Tarpon Springs area and run straight accross. A very aggressive sail in a small boat.

hoddinr

Gus, there actually are a couple of places to stop along the route.

One is Appalachicola, where the river leads to a nice city marina.
Next is Steinhatchee, where there is a small town and private docks.
Following that you have Cedar Key, Yankeetown, Crystal River, Anclote Key which leads to Tarpon Springs.
Then follow the waterway down to Boca Ciega Bay in St. Pete Beach.  There is a waterway from there to Tampa Bay and St. Pete.

This has been described as a milk run by some people familiar with the Great Loop.  Some say Albamarle Sound is much tougher.

You need to remember though that along the shore of the Big Bend, the depth of water is usually one foot per mile off shore.  So stay off shore unless you know that you're heading for a channel into a port along the way.  And look out for limestone rock sticking up off of some areas. 

Ron

atrometer

Thank you very much Ron and all.  I was looking at a Watkins 25 near Panama City and other than a long run offshore that I didn't like on a boat I didn't know I was looking for something easier/safer where I could swim/walk ashore, as I assume there is limited communication in that area.  After investigating the boat (closest marina is 5 hrs. away for haul out/survey etc.) and the owner won't make that trip I chose to forget the boat.  But thanks again to all - I will save this for the future if needed.  Just miss sailing sooooo much.

brackish

In addition to what Ron mentioned, there is the inside of Cape San Blas, although it would be fairly early on that trip.  It is a lot quicker to get to than going through the cut to Appalach, with a good marina across St. Joes Bay if needed.  Another option if you ever make that trip is to stay ICW until you get to Appalach before venturing across the bay and out the cut.  Boring, but give you a good long day or so to get to know the boat.  St. Marks is also a potential stop, but a lot of these places are rather time consuming to get to., well off the point to point course.

I haven't personally made that trip, but a close friend has done it several times in a boat that size.  If you ever get in that situation again, be glad to pass on his contact info, sure he would talk to you about it.