Main Menu

Pics of new boat

Started by rbh1515, March 10, 2015, 05:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

Notice anything different:

2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Salty19

Looks like the Grinch stole your swim ladder!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

rbh1515

Yep, but not the Grinch!
It was funny because I specifically ordered it without the ladder (its an option), but I guess the vast majority of people order the boat with the ladder, so they put one on by mistake.  Gerry was nice enough to have it taken off!  I think it has a more classic catboat look without the ladder.
Rob

frank

Tiller, not wheel ?

SS through hulls at stern, not plastic?

number "plate"...not molded in?
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

kickingbug1

what a pretty girl she is. one thing, if i were you i would attempt to get in the boat from the water before i would do without a ladder. it does look cleaner without one ill grant you that.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Bob23

She deserves a custom wood ladder. Very pretty boat...but I, like many here do admit to bias.
Bob23

rbh1515

Yep, tiller is standard on the HDC.  My last boat had a wheel and I really wanted to get back to a tiller.   Also my 18 year old daughter was bugging my to get a boat with a tiller. Not sure about the thru hulls since I have not seen the boat in person yet, but they sure look SS.  Do most Com-Pacs have plastic?
I agree it would be near impossible to get in the boat from the water.  For safety I plan on getting some type of portable ladder....additional recommendations on a good ladder would be greatly appreciated.
I'm really happy about how the boat turned out!
Rob
Waters End  #107

Shawn

" For safety I plan on getting some type of portable ladder....additional recommendations on a good ladder would be greatly appreciated."

You want an emergency ladder, not a portable one. A portable ladder down below does you no good if you fall overboard. On my Sabre I have a neat little emergency ladder. It is stored in a hard PVC case mounted horizontally on one of the rear rails. It has a small line hanging down and a larger line attached to one of the docking cleats. If you pull the small line the case opens and a rope ladder (with hard steps) falls out and into the water. Top end is secured to the docking cleat. I don't think this is still made though.

Defender has numerous options for similar ladders.

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|7504|2290202&id=2290206

Rop ladders are hard to climb, but much better than nothing.

At some point I am planning on installing an Up-n-Out boarding ladder on the side of the boat.

http://www.up-n-out.com

Being amidship will make it much easier to board in waves.

Shawn

Bob23

Rob:
   I have this if you want it. Just pay shipping:

Bob23

BruceW

Shawn, that up and out looks pretty cool. My CP 23 doesn't have a boarding ladder. I could see putting one of these on some day. Meanwhile when I used copy and paste I saw the defender ones. Maybe one of those would do for awhile.

Currently I have that hook over the gunwale style. You are right, you have to have it out before you go into the water.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

BruceW

Bob23, are you from Led Zeppelin?
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Bob23

We're obviously from the same vintage! The Admirals gardens are in the background.
B
Ladder in storage mode:

rbh1515

Thanks for all the info!!
Bob, that's a really long ladder!  I found a 3 step Sea Dog emergency ladder for $29 and it looks similar to the one in your pic.  I think that's prob what I'll get, but thanks for the offer.
Shawn, you are right, I want an emergency ladder!  I had not even started looking at ladders, so I was not quite sure what's out there.  I just wanted something easy to stow.  My last 2 sailboats had open sterns, so getting back in would be easy...but never had to test it out.
I sail on Lake Michigan which is essentially like an ocean, but prob more dangerous.  I never sail by myself, it's a good way to get killed, but a lot of people do it.
Rob

Shawn

Rob,

Yup, it is one of those just in case things. The April edition of Good Old Boat has a good story that explains the significance of having an accessible ladder. A family of three were drifting a half mile from shore on a lake at night to watch the moon rise. Family was leaning against the life line in a Helms 27. The life line broke and all three ended up in the water. They had a transom mounted swim ladder that was folded up. Father couldn't deploy it from the water but was able to hang onto the bottom of it and his younger daughter climbed his shoulders and into the boat and got the ladder down. Ended OK but if that ladder wasn't there (or wasn't able to deploy it) the story could have ended very differently.

Shawn

Salty19

I've seen a CP16 with a small metal bracket bolted into the rudder casting, presumably tapped to accept the bolts and flush on the inner casting to avoid rudder interference. Just above the swing of the pivot bolt if I recall. I short line hanging from the rails or cleat with knots tied gives your hand some pull. If you could put your left foot on the bracket, weigh it so the boat tips back then swing your right leg/foot up on the boat while pulling the line, you might be able to pull yourself up. Depends on if you are in decent shape or injured I suppose.

Just a thought.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603