a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outboards

Started by rbh1515, February 22, 2015, 02:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig

I really like the electric drive! Had the Elco been an option when we bought Kailani I probably would have gone with it. Still, if I want to just motor all day I can do that for many hours with no anxiety and for "peanuts". I will swallow the anchor long before the diesel becomes an issue!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

mayrel

I  think electric motors are fine for short distances.  Fishermen use trolling motors all the time, with dual batteries and gas engines to charge these batteries.  But if you are cruising and you need additional power, or worse yet, you run out before you can get to a location to recharge the battery, you could be stuck.  Granted you can have multiple batteries, add solar panles, wind or water generators, but all this stuff cost a lot of money.  Wiring is vulnerable to failure, particularly in a salt water environment.  Until technology advances to a battery system that will remain charged via solar or internal charging system, to me there is no substitute for a clean burning 4-stroke motor.  They are reliable, affordable and economical.  Carrying extra fuel is not a problem either.  If the wind is blowing we're sailing, if the wind dies down, we can motor.  If you're in the ICW on your cruising route, you're likely to be motoring more than sailing.  And although it might be wonderful to show your sailing skills docking, most of us are going to use our motors to dock safely.  We have a CP16 with a Honda 2hp.  Having just purchased this boat, I'm not sure we won't upgrade to a larger motor; seems most owners use a 3.5 to 4hp, certainly not electric for this application.  We hope to do some longer distance camp/cruising, much of it in the ICW.  I hope these expensive electric motors work out for anyone using them.

brackish

Had the Elco been an option when we bought Kailani I probably would have gone with it.

I've often thought that the ideal situation for the 23 on an OEM basis would be to build a battery compartment beneath the sole and remove the ballast that is made up from the weight of the batteries, using an Elco or equivalent electric inboard.  That was before I was informed that the Elco system was an $18,000 option. :)  But as batteries improve, and volume on electric systems increase, cost could come down.  Can you imagine running as silent while motoring as you do while sailing with the weight perfectly balanced for trim.

Bob23

I can imagine that. But I'd need a very extended range to consider electric power. And being somewhat of a gearhead, I like the sound of internal combustion engines. If you listen closely, you can hear music! Of course my Nissan 8 hp 2 stroke doesn't sing the same tune as a Porsche 917, but it's music none the less! And let's not forget the diesel symphonies! In C minor, of course.
Bob23

cdflan

I can get about 35 NM at 4.5 KT with a full charge.  That's some 8 hours which is about all my bottom can take even with no wind.  And Com-Pac had suggested putting one of my four batteries in the keel forward of the centerboard which worked out great.

Salty19

This thread goes to show, there really is not one-size fits all solution to motor power for sailboats.

Too many "it depends".

I'm on a small lake so investing in an inboard diesel would be silly and not cost effective. Same with electric inboard.  But, an electric outboard would be perfect.
When they come down in cost I'll consider them, but in the meantime I'm perfectly happy with the gas outboard, and earning 7%+ on the money that would be otherwise spent on a Torqeedo.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

kickingbug1

i agree on the electrics that they would fit my sailing situation pretty well. the cost however is a killer. given a few years it may be an option.but  for now the 4 horse merc will have to do. and if that fails maybe ill put one my old noisy, smoky cruise and carry 2.7 hp antiques on the transom. those motors are legend at the clr.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"