a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outboards

Started by rbh1515, February 22, 2015, 02:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon898

The use of a trolling motor was discussed in 2013 here: http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=6805.15

If you look at my post on the last page, you'll see that using a single sculling oar (european version of a yuloh) is quite practical on quite large boats even in strong tideways...if the tide is against you, you anchor until it is not - what's the hurry, you're in a sailboat.  "Unless I were in a major tideway/current or in a narrow channel, I wouldn't worry too much about size of motor as you could be using the sails in anything other than a flat calm anyway.  The French are masters of this and, when I learned to sail in the English Channel, we were always amazed at how many French boats would arrive on the our side with no motors at all in 20 to 30 foot boats and the only means of auxilliary propulsion being a single sculling oar."

I've been happy with a simple trolling motor.  Quiet, light, essentially silent, low installed cost (circa $250 including deep-cycle battery) and low running cost and no flammable fuel (gas or propane) introduced to the boat.

Craig

Unfortunately many marinas prohibit sailing in or out of a slip. I know a guy who was banned from his marina because of a mishap trying to get into a slip under sail. I used to do it routinely when I had a boat on the Elk River in MD but only when the wind was blowing out of the slip(most of the time).  NEVER when the wind was astern when docking. That marina also had a large fairway which had plenty of room to maneuver. As to sculling, Lin & Larry Pardey sailed all over the world in their engineless cutter Seraffyn with only a sculling oar for power. They are very effective as Jon says.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

kickingbug1

i have had a number of outboards both on sailboats and fishing boats and have had little or no trouble out of any of them---all two strokes. after buying the catalina last spring im hoping that the four stroke merc works out alright----so far so good. just to keep in practice though i have come into the dock using just sail. i have tried jib alone and main alone----jib works better. having roller furling it makes it easy to depower. it does however require good timing. i would encourage everyone to practice docking under sail. one day that might be your only option
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

HeaveToo

You could always take a page out of the famous sailing couple, Lin and Larry Pardey, and go engine-less. 

Then again, who has the time to do that.  I find that when I am cruising there are just times that I have to run the engine to get somewhere.  I don't want to be out in the Chesapeake Bay at night near ships channels or running the engine through crab floats (damn things are hard to see at night).  Also, the chances go way up if you are out past 5pm in the summer of hitting violent storms. 
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Craig

Just so! One of the best things I did was to opt for the diesel on Kailani. Was out today and ran some speed/RPM tests. Wide open(4000 rpm) 6-6.5 KNOTS. 2800 rpm 4.9-5 knots. 2200 rpm 4-4.5 knots. All SOG by gps measured over different headings to compensate for current/wind variables. At 2200 rpm the engine is smooth and the noise is minimal. Like the option to make tracks(wakes?) when needed. Electric start means just reaching down and turning the key. I don't need drama at my age!

Bob23

I like the idea of the small diesel in a 23 but it wouldn't make $ense to install one on my older boat. I'd rather have the storage room. I think Shawn devised a sculling oar for his 23 when he had it. Maybe he'll share something about it.
Heave: It's easy to cross oceans without a motor and I like Lin and Larry's simple approach to sailing. I don't think they even have electric nav lights.
Bob23

Shawn

Craig,

What diesel is in the Horizon cat? I guess the new diesel engines spin a lot faster than the old school diesels. The Volvo in my Sabre is redlined at 2600 RPM. I cruise at 1600 at about 4 knots.

Shawn

Shawn

Hi Bob,

After all the cramps/pains/insanity trying to gain access to service the Volvo in my Sabre I'd be terrified of trying to do the same thing in a 23. It really must be shoehorned into the space above the bilge. Unless the side panels come out (I think the are supports for the cockpit floor) that must be no fun at all.

For example to adjust the packing gland on the Sabre I have to climb into the cockpit seat locker, which is enormous compared to the 23, and remove an access panel. But it is still a contortionist trick to get at the packing gland.

An outboard is sooo much easier to work on, and *dramatically* cheaper. When I was pricing out potential replacement diesels the *cheap* ones were around 9k. Without installation.

I didn't do a sculling oar, I recall reading about that here but it wasn't something I did.

Shawn

capt_nemo

Shawn,

Too bad none of the photos in the old thread show up. Would liked to have seen them since I'm quite interested in the sculling of small boats.

capt_nemo

Craig

The diesel in Kailani is a 2cyl. 14 hp Yanmar. Plenty of power, relatively smooth and quiet. Side panels do come off but fit is tight. Upside is that is easily trailed and can be serviced on the hard. Life is naught but a series of choices and compromises!

rbh1515

I think the diesel would be nice on the Horizon, but I wanted very low maintenance, and I don't cruise.  I will also have no thru hulls on my boat!!  For me simple is better.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

cdflan

Craig
What model engine do you have in Kailani?

Craig

Its a 2YM15. Nice little engine. HCs originally had a Westerbeke I believe. As a point of interest the hose can be disconnected from the cooling intake seacock without water flooding in because the top of the fitting is above the waterline. I know this because I had to remove a mangrove pod that had by freak circumstance found its way into the intake! Actually a good thing( the above waterline thing not the mangrove pod!).

cdflan

Thanks.  Was trying to match performance curves to the ones I used to specify electric power needed.  Had used data from the 2GM20F which is slightly more power.  Gerry had said the  boat cruises at 5kt with engine between 2300 and 2500 rpm.  I cruise at 5 kt with about 1350 watt input to the electric drive which indicates that the electric motor/prop is more efficient than the diesel inboard drive.