a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Swinging Galley Stove

Started by hoddinr, February 13, 2015, 07:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoddinr

Does anyone here use a gimbaled galley stove like a "Mini-Galley", or "Sea Swing?"

If so, where did you mount it? Love to see a photo.

Thanks,

Ron

capt_nemo

hoddinr,

Did not use a gimbaled stove for cooking on my Sun Cat even though I have several options for mounting one with the mods I made.

Nevertheless, I do have a few ideas to share regarding mounting one for cooking.

First, you could make a hatch board to fit the lower half section of the companionway slides and fabricate a mounting for the stove INSIDE the cabin. You could even go further and make sure the hatch board is reversible, or if different requirements, make a suitable mounting surface for BOTH sides which would provide the option of cooking both INSIDE or OUTSIDE in the cockpit. Positioned properly, it would not interfere with leaving or entering the cabin if necessary.

Second, since you bought Dennis' boat with his version of my Starboard Storage Module Design, it might be feasible to fabricate and attach a mounting bracket that supports a gimbaled stove.

Both of these options keep the stove near the companionway for a fresh air source and an exhaust path for fuel fumes, cooking odors, and excess heat (especially in summer).

As shown in the photo below, I was satisfied with a stationary Coleman Burner on a disposable Propane canister with a large stabilizing base resting on top of a step just inside the companionway. The stove was also used in the cockpit.

capt_nemo

reedtg3

Good morning, Ron-
I have a Forespar Hot Spot Mini Galley and used it during the Com-Pac Rendezvous last May.  I don't have a picture handy, but I mounted a ss lifeline stanchion base on the cockpit grate forward of the centerboard pendant cleat into which I inserted an appropriately sized (1" I believe) oak dowel tall enough to permit the unit to swing freely.  At the top of the dowel, I fastened a plywood disc to which I attached the plastic mounting bracket that came with the stove.  When stowed after each use, all that remains is the stanchion base.  That said, I wasn't all that happy with the arrangement.  I also have a Coleman single burner propane unit that lies flat and is about the same size as the ubiquitous butane caterer's stove which I plan to use on our next overnight cruise.  We'll see how that works. 
Tom/Cattail/Sc377 

hoddinr

First of all, I have to say, Don... Breakfast looks delicious! 

Thanks to you both for your ideas.  Yes, I think the rack that Dennis built to pretty much your design could hold the mini-galley swing stove for heating up a pot of water underway.

I have a small propane stove that I set on the step inside the cabin during our 10K Island outing in January.  It worked OK, but was thinking about cooking underway. 

Ron

capt_nemo

hoddinr,

As with many topics, there are two schools of thought with regard to cooking underway.

I am among the group that does not believe in cooking underway unless there is absolutely no other alternative. With boat in motion there is always the possibility of something going wrong in one place or the other, especially when you are not there, close at hand, to look after things. For long passages meals are usually prepared beforehand and are of the simple variety.

By the way, there is a technique long practiced by experienced cruisers for having HOT WATER readily available throughout the day for its many practical uses. Before stowing breakfast gear, heat a large pot of water to boiling. Pour some of it into a thermos, close the top, let it sit for a few minutes, and move it about TO PREHEAT THE THERMOS ELEMENT AND SURROUNDING AIR POCKET. Then, empty the thermos, fill with VERY HOT BOILING WATER, and close the lid. Hot water is now available for whatever use you please throughout the day.

Just say'in

capt_nemo

Bob23

Capt:
  That is a great idea and so simple, we're all probably thinking: Why didn't I already know that? For hot coffee at work, I use the larger (27 oz. I think) Nissan. Stainless steel, 5 year guarantee and not bulky. I'm sure there are others around but for me and my coffee habit, it works great.
  Quick question: What is the difference between boiling water and very hot boiling water? :) Sorry....just couldn't resist!
Bob23

Shawn

Thermos works great,with a larger one you can also slow cook in them. Preheat and add hot water with rice/beans/etc and just seal it up and wait.

For another take on a gimbaled stove check out reply 38 here:

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=906.20

If one was going to duplicate that I would suggest not using galvanized steel. It can give off a toxic fume when heated.

Shawn

Elk River

Bob:

Boiling water is what you make coffee or tea with; very hot boiling water is the trouble that you are usually in with your wife...
Just thought I would clarify that point for you (it helps explain all the bruises...)

Elk River   

Now the Mrs. Elk

rogerschwake

I have a Sea Swing stove mounted on the sill of the main hatchway. It works good there but makes it hard to exit the cabin. Have plans to add a second mount to the boom crutch soon. I don't believe the Sea Swing is in production so good luck finding one. Has anyone found a small portable grill to use on board?

hoddinr

Great ideas, all.  I have a thermos, but can never find a suitable stowage spot for it.  Have you noticed that most of them are cylinder shaped?  A Rectangle would lie flat without rolling around, and be easier to stow.  Haven't see one though, have you?

I'm also interested in the smallest grill that's out there for cooking outdoors in the cockpit.  Since Nomad has a nice rail, it could attach to that or the boom gallows.

Ron

Bob23

Elk:
  Thanks for the clarification...now I understand.

Tom L.

Hi Ron, I haven't done it yet...to many other things to do on this new for me boat, but I am going to make a platform/holder that will mount to the  gallows. It will consist of a knee brace affair that will clip to the vertical S.S. stanchions and hold an aluminum pan/cookie sheet off to the side and out over the water. I am going to use those throw away charcoal packs that have the brickets,starter and a grill top all in one easy to store and sealed unit. We use to do that on our smaller boats in the 70's. The Magna grills are too big for our little cruisers and too expensive considering we will probably grill only one night on our min outings. The pan and bracket should fold into a flat and relatively easy to store unit. One thing to be careful about is the wind. If at anchor no problem but if the boat is tied along side a dock or tree never use that assembly if the wind is blowing into the boat. Seems obvious but worth a caveat.
Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

hoddinr

That's a great idea!  Flat and storable.  And you used one before, and have tested it.  Can't wait to see it!

Ron

Tom L.

It will be awhile. Earlier this week I removed the liner and am working on a new liner. BUt I do hope to get the grill platform ready for Kayo Costa.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

hoddinr

You removed the liner of the whole boat, Tom?