a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

RUDDER HOLD DOWN BAR

Started by sjaffess, January 28, 2015, 11:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaffess

I am trying to install a rudder hold down bar on a 2002 Suncat Daysailor.  I have the old flat heavy metal rudder.  Huthchins sent me installation instructions which do not match the rudder that I have.  Does anyone have pictures that show the installation on this type of rudder.  If not I will have to take the rudder down to St Pete to have them look at it.

capt_nemo

What doesn't match??

The bottom of the bar simply attaches somewhere (see instructions) to the rear edge of the upper part of the pivoting metal rudder blade. Then, the black Delrin and stainless keeper plate is installed on the aft edge of the rudder head. The handled "bar" is then adjusted (bent, coaxed, cajoled) to be a snug fit (welded bar) under the stainless keeper plate with the rudder down in the FULLY FORWARD working position.

Here is a photo showing the bottom attachment to the rudder.

And here is a photo showing the Delrin/stainless keeper plate on aft edge of rudder head. Note - welded "bar" clearly visible below handle in photo.

hoddinr

I need one of these too.  Do I call or go to Hutchins for it?  How much was it?

Thanks,
Ron

sjaffess

Yes  - Hutchins sells it.  It's about $175.  Thanks for the pictures Captain nemo