Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Intracoastal Waterway

Started by Brent65, January 26, 2015, 10:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent65

Hello Eclipse owners,

Has anyone spent any time on the ICW or other river systems in America/Canada?  Just wondering how the Eclipse would do as a river cruiser for two adults.  Also, what is the ideal motor cruising speed for this boat?   I'm envisioning the Tohatsu Sail Pro outboard (6 hp with a 25" shaft).

Brent from Idaho

mayrel

Hey Brent, cruising the ICW has many advantages for anchoring out, docking at a marina, finding resturants on the water, accessible shopping for supplies and local attractions.  There are any number of ICW guides available, some specific to a given section of the ICW.  We've camp cruised in various sailboats, ranging from a Montgomery 17 and 15, and now recently purchasing a CP16.  We're retired on a fixed income so our budget only goes so far.  However, we enjoy car camping and camp cruising.  Essentially camp cruising primarily allows you to have a place to sleep, clean up and cook a few meals, very much like shore camping.  We generally camp cruise on or near large bays for the sailing aspect, you'll find cruising the ICW you'll do a lot of motoring.  For example, we can put in on the Choctawhatchee bay in northwest FL, go east to the Panama City bay, or west to the Pensacola and Mobile bays.  The latter is our preference.  We can also head for Tampa bay in the winter and work our way south. 
You'll have more room on your Eclipse, but you might consider a 4hp motor, a little less weight, better fuel consumption and it will push you along about 5mph at 3/4 throttle.  I'd check with Jerry Hutchins about hull speed with various sized motors.  Obviously if you're fighting a head wind and/or current, more power is better.  Charging systems on any of these small motors is limited too, if you have an electrical system(which you likely will), you might consider two deep cycle batteries with a switch.  If you're motoring it will help keep one battery charged.  Many add solar panels too.  The more equipment you add, the more complicated the boat becomes, the more likely of gear failure, the more time and money fixing the boat when you could be cruising...just my two cents...John

jthatcher

John, I love how you make a case for cruising as simply as possible!    i am hoping that  retirement is not in the distant future for me.. and living simply will certainly be a part of  it..  but good to know that a lot of fun through  camping and  cruising will still be possible..   ICW here we come!  ( after the  erie canal this summer :)  )   jt

atrometer

Someone on this site suggested rather than batteries (since the need for 12 V electric is small) that you use a combination battery jumper/12V/worklite/compressor/charges phones, runs computer etc about $75-150.  I thought it was a great idea.  I also used battery power (C batteries) type running lights if ever needed, and anchor light as well.  Simple, no wiring needed, unit is re-chargeable, etc. Also had a  couple of backpacking type stoves - lightweight and small. AND the shallow draft is fantastic!

Dogboy

Quote from: mayrel on January 26, 2015, 07:06:29 PM
You'll have more room on your Eclipse, but you might consider a 4hp motor, a little less weight, better fuel consumption and it will push you along about 5mph at 3/4 throttle. 

Most of the 4-6 HP motors are the same weight.  I would suggest the 6hp sailpro over a 4HP for the additional umpf if needed to combat a current, and the prop on the sailpro is also better suited for sailboats (not that you couldn't change the prop on a 4HP).  I have a 6HP tohatsu sailpro for my sunday cat (overkill), and I can use 1 3 gallon tank of gas per season with lake sailing. It pushes the boat to hull speed at about half throttle.  It came with the boat and I looked at getting a smaller one to get the weight off the transom but found the weight savings was only meaningful if I went down to a 3hp or less, and then there is no reverse.  I just kept the 6.
1990 23/3D - my fathers boat - Sold
2010 Sunday Cat - Sold
2008 Compac 25 - Sold
Current: Hobie 16 & Hobie TI -
Looking for a Horizon Cat or HDC