a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Coolers that fit in cockpit lockers

Started by hoddinr, January 18, 2015, 08:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoddinr

I've seen several SunCat owners state that they put their coolers out in the cockpit lockers.
What size and shape will fit down in there?  I'm picturing the narrow tall ones.  Is this correct?
Anyone use one of the expensive high tech coolers?  Don't need big, but would like to know what size and shape you're finding work out there?

Thanks!
Ron

BruceW

I got one of those white igloo marine coolers that just fit. It set down in and was very convenient. I still have the cooler, but it doesn't fit in the 23 seat locker opening! I have a nice soft sided cylinder cooler I got from WM that fits in there or just in the cabin.

Just measure the opening, and get the biggest that fits.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

capt_nemo

As many of you know I have my own unique solution for storing and using a large cooler down below in my Sun Cat which is modified for solo cruising.

Absent this solution, I would not consider using the cockpit lockers for cooler storage unless, for some very important reason, it was the only alternative available.

I say this because those cockpit lockers are ideally suited for storage and access of many of the items either required or chosen for cruising, and to take up such valuable space for storing a large cooler just doesn't make sense IMHO. And, with a large cooler stored down inside a cockpit locker, quick access to any other item might prove difficult.

Consider storing the cooler down below on the cabin sole when under way and setting it outside in the cockpit once the anchor is set. Even with my custom storage modules, I find myself moving some larger things around down below when cruising due to the limitations of the Sun Cat's small cabin.

capt_nemo

relamb

The Catalina guys have stolen your idea nemo.  At the Chicago show, I pulled out what I thought was going to be a drawer refrigerator in the galley of a 25 footer.
All the bigger boats had RV type front opening refrigerators.  But it was just an Igloo cooler in the drawer under the counter..  Looked good, and did the trick.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Tom L.

Ron, I don't have one yet but others with the Sun Cat have used the Igloo Legends 24. It is a taller narrow cooler. Some cruisers use two one that is for strictly frozen food and to be opened once or twice a day the other for drinks and snacks. The opening in the cockpit seat is 11"x22" and about 17 " deep. The legand cooler is 10 wide and I think about 15" high. I don't know how well insulated the Legend cooler is but it cost ten times less than a Yeti.

I have so much to do I can't do it all at once. But so far I really like the Sun Cat. I think you will too as long as you can live with a slower boat. But hey if we wanted to get there fast we take an airplane.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

hoddinr

Thanks guys,

Joyce and I have been in Honduras, Guatamala and Mexico for the past week, so haven't been on-line.  Different kind of cruising aboard a Holland America Cruise Ship out of Tampa.

Your ideas for coolers are great food for thought, although I don't think I'll go as far as Capt Nemo on the modifications.

Being a Watertriber, and SeaPearler I have learned to go without much refrigeration if any, but I do like a cool beer and the ability to keep some fresh food edible for a few days at least.

Ron

brackish

As many of you know I have my own unique solution for storing and using a large cooler down below in my Sun Cat which is modified for solo cruising.

As we've come to expect, an outstanding modification and problem solution from Capt_Nemo

I'm moving in that direction with  my 23.  The last companionway step is hinged and has a drop board below it. The drop board provides no support for the step, just closes off the area. It is a pain to constantly lift the step, pull the drop board, and wrestle out the cooler.  I plan to remove the front trim pieces that form the slot for the drop board, put new trim pieces on the perimeter of the drop board and make that the front of a drawer.  Some questions for Don.

The area below my companionway steps is large, however the constraint is the height being only 14-3/8" with no way to get more.  I have an Igloo marine 48 that fits but only has about 7/8" to spare on the height.  How much did you lose in that dimension with the drawer?  Seems like I'll need a slide that will allow the drawer bottom to have minimal clearance to current sole area, and rather than slotting the sides for the bottom, make it a flush dovetail joint so as not to lose any of that dimension with the joint.  

Looks like a couple of slide locks to hold it closed on your picture.  That work ok when underway?  That would be a concern in dusty weather, don't want a heavy cooler drawer getting loose.

Is that a front cover that slides out and pivots down with the two balls at the top.  I don't have room to do it that way, but curious.

capt_nemo

brackish,

Questions answered in order asked.

Regarding 7/8" clearance. If you use good 1/2" plywood for a bottom, and mount the heavy duty slides low on the drawer side to allow about 1/8 to 3/16" clearance underneath you just might make it. And yes, make it a flush joint.

Slide locks work well to secure drawer in place.

Yes, front cover slides out of storage slot on top, mounts flush with face (top held securely by horizontal trim), and is secured with a pivoting wood cleat on left side bottom. Wood balls on strings at bottom corners are to pull bottom out first and then grab panel for DOWN then OUT removal.

Found that with cover pulled out about 75% from storage cubby it serves double duty as a nice dining table. See photo for Spam & Cheese Omelet with buttered toast and hot coffee! Do excuse the paper plate - did use nice flatware though.

capt_nemo

Tom L.

Has anybody used a Norchill soft sided cooler. The medium sized unit should fit in the cockpit locker. I believe two could be used. put the first in and slide it forward followed by the second. One for drinks one for food.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Craig

Have not tried Norchill but have had good success with softside coolers in general. We have a couple for Kailani and have been surprised at how long they will keep things cold. One of ours has removable a hard liner which is completely watertight an easy to clean but still flexible enough to stuff into available space.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL