a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Adding Pilot Berth

Started by Patrick, January 15, 2015, 08:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick

Has anyone added the pilot berth to a boat without one?  If so, what is needed?

Also, what is the weight limit for that berth?  We have kiddos and I wonder how long we can use it?  100lbs?

Thanks!

Patrick
CP 27/2 - #169 - Sagacity - Peoria Heights, IL

relamb

I can go out and take some pics, but not until next week.  The seat back flips up, it's hinged at the top back. There are a couple of legs on hinges that swing down at the ends, to provide support from below. They fold against the seat back very much like the table leg folds on the table, one at each end.. A lee cloth is fastened to the front bottom edge of the seat back, which has straps that go up and clip to little pad eyes on the ceiling.  I would not fit up there, but a couple of little kids would.  I'm sure it would hold a 100-150lb person.  Never used it except to store stuff.  My 4 boys are college age or more.
The wife and I, and 3 college aged kids stayed on the boat for a week.  That berth was a good place to stash all of the clothes and stuff for 5 people.
If you need a place for one child though, It might be easier to just string up a hammock where that berth would be.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

deisher6

Hey Patric:
I think that there are at least three different configurations of C-27 interiors:
-The original version with two settees that have flip up backs and legs, equipped with lee cloths that make 4 bunks.  I have used these bunks for children with success.  They also make good storage places.
-There is a version that allows one of the settees to be converted into a double bunk.  I have never seen this version but it has been discussed here in the forum.
-The third version has two seats and a small table on the starboard side of the main cabin.  In the "Allure" got wet thread there is a picture of this arrangement.  I also saw pictures of this arrangement on a boat that was for sale in FL 2 years ago.

I asked Keith Scott about the third version...he thought that it might be a C-26.  He had never seen or heard of it.

I have only personally seen and used the first version.  However I really like the third version.  In any of the versions you could use the port side settee as a pilot berth. 

regards charlie

relamb

My 1988 CP27 has the slide out section that makes a full size bed on the port side, and the flip up bunk with the lee cloth on the starboard side.
For the slide out, it's just like a piece of plywood that slides out under the seat.  There's a rail along the bulkhead below the table that supports the forward edge of the bed, then legs fold down (again, like the table legs) that hold up the rest of the bed platform.  The seat cushion and back cushion then make a double wide berth.  Theoretically this sleeps six.  Two in the v-berth, two on the port side double, and two bunks on the starboard side.
Worst case I've had 5 adults, and then the top port bunk for storing everybody's duffle bags.
Rick
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

redfishnc

My 1993 has the same layout as Relamb.  I did away with the pilot berth and am thinking of putting a small table in the middle of the starboard settee. The port settee folds out double, the best berth in the house for me. 

Charlie,
I was considering a 30in wide chest with table against the head until I saw the one with the table in the settee.  Are you saying it was a factory deal or was it a special order at someone's request.  I saw the pics of the one with the starboard table but haven't been able to find them again.

Has anyone else done something similar and do you have pics posted or that you could shoot me?

thanks,
Wayne

frank

Wayne...that stbd "table" was my design/request for Allure. If you want...I can email you pictures and dimensions
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

deisher6

Hey Frank and Wayne:
Unless it is the same boat, I saw another C-27 for sale about 2 years ago in FL, on the St John's river (I think).  In at the pictures it was dry stored at the dock.

I would really like to see pictures and dimensions too.  Why not post them on the blog.

regards charlie

relamb

Frank, what was the reason for the center cabinet in the starboard settee as opposed to putting the cabinet against the head wall?
I don't use the upper bunk except for storage, and would prefer another cabinet.  But I was thinking to seat four at the table, I'd keep the cabinet against the head wall if I were to build one.  I still might have the seat back fold up, just to make a temporary "shelf" for storing duffle bags and stuff for guests at night.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

redfishnc

If i am not mistaken there was one in Florida advertised a while back with the starboard settee converted to a small table with facing seats.  Thought it looked really good.  My plan originally was to make the cabinet against the head.  It was as high as the top of the sear, opening nav lid, 2 cubbies and 2 sm drawers, one tall slot for maps and a book or two.  As deep as the seat and approx 30" wide.  i wanted it removal but would require cushions built to accommodate.

great ideas, thanks
Wayne

frank

Rick...my wife and I both read a lot and often while cruising we'll put a CD in the computer to watch a movie or recorded TV series. For "movie" nights we put the computer on the dining table and both have a seat with an 'end table' effect to put our drinks and snacks on. For reading it works well with 2 LED reading lights above and again...a place for drinks and snacks. That was my thinking. Works for us, maybe others but I'm sure not everyone :-)
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Patrick

So there hasn't been much conversation around adding a pilot berth other than we "already have one".  Additionally the thread has completely moved to another topic.  I guess we can close this one out.

I was able to speak with Richard Hutchins at the boat show this weekend and he suggested that most boats came with that option standard in the 1990's when mine was built.  When I get aboard I'll be able to check and see.  The parts are pretty in expensive to make or even get from Hutchins directly.
CP 27/2 - #169 - Sagacity - Peoria Heights, IL

redfishnc

Frank,  thanks for the pics and information.  My apologies for veering from the original thread.

CurtTampa

I now own that boat - moved it to Tampa - let me know if you have any questions about the conversion.
Quote from: deisher6 on January 18, 2015, 10:22:05 AM
Hey Frank and Wayne:
Unless it is the same boat, I saw another C-27 for sale about 2 years ago in FL, on the St John's river (I think).  In at the pictures it was dry stored at the dock.

I would really like to see pictures and dimensions too.  Why not post them on the blog.

regards charlie

deisher6

Hey CurtTampa:
Congratulations on the purchasing your C-27.  It used to have its own bookmark on our computer and I looked at it longingly for several months.

I would still like to see some better pictures of the starboard interior table and settee arrangement.  If you you have problems posting them, I would be glad to post them for you, if you email them to me.

regards charlie

deisher.6@suddenlink.net

CurtTampa

I sent them to your email. I struggle with posting pics on here. Im starting a blog over the next few weeks for the boats refit. Hope these are helpful. Feel free to post them here. Happy to answer any questions.