a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP 19 and rough water

Started by MOlson, January 14, 2015, 12:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOlson

Been looking and wishing for over a year. I think the CP 19 is the answer. However, I'd like some feedback on the 19 in rough seas. Thinking I'd like to voyage out to Block Island, Nantucket, Vineyard, from Rhode Island and then from Florida to the Bahamas? Looking for some challenges and want to have fun, but don't want to be stupid.
Love some opinions.
Thanks,
Molson

wes

I love my 19, but she's not much fun in rough seas. I'm not concerned about capsizing or survival - it's just that the same flat bottom that makes her so stable also makes for a pounding ride when the sea gets choppy. I think other 19 owners will confirm. You'll probably be happier with a different hull shape if you plan to do a lot of sailing in rough water.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Craig

The boat can handle it....but can you! The Bahamas thing is doable but the 19 may not have the storage needed for an(comfortable) extended cruise to the Bahamas. The others should be fine since you will be in USA waters and infrastructure. The Gulfstream can be an issue for smaller boats and a bit of a slog depending on conditions.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

MOlson

That's great advice. Thank you for the "been-there-done-that" advice.

Mark O

Salty19

The CP19 is a great boat, but I agree with Wes here.  She will pound in steep choppy water.  This is the only area where I feel the 19 lags behind others. 

I find that if waves are about 3' and steep-crashing as they hit you (as opposed to rolling offshore waves), it slaps it's bottom on the wave with regular frequency.  Those conditions rarely occur on our lake, so it's not a big deal to us, but in rough waters I would rather have something that slices through the chop, like an Eclipse, Horizon Cat or 23.

Having sailed a 19 for 5 years now, granted only on inland lakes, I would trust it to handle the coast and off to the Bahamas assuming decent weather.  She is a little yacht in every respect including seaworthiness.  But unfortunately her Achilles heal is pounding in rough waters.

I would be looking at an Eclipse for rough water...they slice through waves like hot knife through butter.
Just my $.02 (leave change if needed!).

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

BruceW

I agree with your comments, Salty, from my previous ownership of a 19. The suncat did much better, as does the 23. I am surprised about the comments on the Eclipse though, since it's the same boat, with some little changes; I haven't seen one in the water at all, though, and if it does better, then those changes were good ones!
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

wordnut

I think if I was taking a 19 across to the Bahamas, I would focus most on my motor and get across to safety on the straightest course and as fast as possible. Lots of sailing and exploring once you are there.

--Randy

Salty19

Quote from: BruceW on January 16, 2015, 05:28:33 PM
I am surprised about the comments on the Eclipse though, since it's the same boat, with some little changes; I haven't seen one in the water at all, though, and if it does better, then those changes were good ones!

If you mean the 19 vs Eclipse, the hull design of the CP19 and Eclipse are different.   The eclipse keel is 6" shallower, the entry is finer and plumb. The bottom forward section of the 19 is pretty flat..that seems to be where water gets trapped.

Now I don't mean to say that the 19 can't handle rough water because it absolutely can but in the right conditions it will pound more than other smaller Com-pacs.
It's probably a lot less dramatic than we are making it sound by using the word "pound"--it's really a "slap", but it would be unfair to say it's smooth as glass in rough water thus the comments.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

kickingbug1

two things i think help the eclipse (having sailed both boats) are the plumb sharp bow, as mike mentioned, and the centerboard/keel configuration. she cuts into the waves like my catalina and sails at a sharper angle of heel thans the cp19.  the 23 and the 16 being wine glass hulls also smooth waves better. however, there isnt a  more stable and safe 19 footer  than the cp19
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

MacGyver

It definitely slaps more, some would say pound. And that is truly solely due to the flatter bottom setup. On Carlyle Lake during one CLR, It was insane to me how rough it was (some will remember what I am talking about, might have been my first CLR?) and that 19 just slammed em..... after some time I realized that by turning down and back up really helped.... well it was also a TON of work to do and very tiring. We ended up traveling at a softer angle, which tossed us about a bit, and motored back  but this was due to being NEW sailors.

Had I had the Reefed main I would have been in better shape as told by Greene's at the dock. Would have helped stabilize a bit.

Out of all the boats I have worked on in my life, including boats others have said were the best built, I still think the 19 after having mine totally stripped down, construction wise, there is no better built boat to me that I have seen at this time in my life.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

The CP-19 will take more than the skipper and crew can ... Such a short hull for such a long quarter wave. Not a good idea.
She'll not lay over even with the top-O-mast a mere 10 foot above the water.
She'll be uncomfortable in the chop and you'll get tired of banging your head against the inside of the low doghouse.
Being a relatively slow boat she'll not pull her bow up over rolling waves and may slide off back down into the trough 'tween waves.
You may even end up with less then zero forward progress. Don't ask me how I know this.

Look for a Flicka type boat.

skip.

kickingbug1

shes 19 feet long weighs about 2000 lbs-----shes not 30+ feet and 6000+ lbs. shes well built (over built) roomy, comfortable and maybe one of the prettier girls at the dance-----but she isnt meant for much off-shore cruising
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

crazycarl

while sailing the last day of the '13 Florida 120, we encountered light winds but because of opposing currents, large waves.

the mrs was getting a little "uncomfortable" with the pounding so i reigned in the main sheet and we both sat on the lee side to put some heel on the boat.

with the heel, the pounding was reduced to a more comfortable slap.

remember, all boats are a compromise.  a rounder hull will slap less, but will also rock more at anchor and when you step aboard.

small boats will always hobby horse or pound more than their larger non trailer-able cousins.

CC

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

skip1930

" with the heel, the pounding was reduced to a more comfortable slap. "

With heel you can't beat into the wind. Gentlemen never beat into the wind. That's crazy carl.

skip.

crazycarl

well...i've never been accused of being a gentleman.

CC
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"