Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP 19 and rough water

Started by MOlson, January 14, 2015, 12:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

carl knows what captain bligh leaned the hard way-----keep the crew HAPPY
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Shawn

I haven't sailed a 19 but have heard what many have repeated above. The hull shape will tend to pound more.

"Thinking I'd like to voyage out to Block Island, Nantucket, Vineyard, from Rhode Island"

Where are you going to be launching in RI? I sailed a 23 in Narragansett Bay (out of Wickford) for 5 years. Great boat in the bay. I never took the 23 out into open water though.

Depending upon where you launch from be sure to play the tides. Just getting from Wickford to Jamestown bridge can be very frustrating if the wind and tide are against you. That is a bad combo with the short keel.

I bought a Sabre 28 this summer and brought it back from Groton, Ct. to Wickford. It was a nice weather day but for a fair stretch we were motoring into the wind and had decent waves on the bow. The LWL of the Sabre is only 2 feet longer than the 23 but the difference in how to two boats handle a head into wave situation was profound. The 23 would have been hobby horsing like crazy while the Sabre (with twice as much overhang up front and way more displacement) had a much slower, gentler motion. Even still the bigger waves almost stopped our forward progress. It was a slow process but not uncomfortable.  The motion comfort rating on the 19 at 13.41 is slightly lower than the 23 at 13.94. For comparison the Sabre's motion comfort is 24.75. It would have been uncomfortable being in that situation with the 23, I think the added pounding of the 19 would have made it that much worse. Much less side to side rocking as well due to differences in keel, beam and displacement.

The prior owner of the 23 sailed out of Ct. and said he had taken the 23 to Block Island. If the weather is cooperating I'm sure she could do it. If the weather wasn't cooperating I'd think the ride could be pretty uncomfortable to downright scary if you headed out at a stupid time. I think the trip is about 16 or 18 miles from Wickford. If you are averaging 3 nm that is a 6 hour trip. Long time at the tiller alone, having a tiller lock or autopilot would make that considerably easier.

I think the most important thing for success on a trip like this is to not have a deadline. Don't go if the weather isn't in your favor.  When you are there be prepared to stay longer if the weather turns sour.

Have good ground tackle, I've read the holding at Block Island can be questionable. Apparently during the weekends in the summer it is full of boats, many who are clueless so dragging boats are common. With the shallow draft you can probably get further out of the way of that sort of mess.

Doable in a 19, but not ideal.

Shawn

MacGyver

I love this "hobby horsing" reference. Everytime I read it I think of myself, riding on the cabin of my 19, yelling yeehaaaa, with a sickly face ready to puke as I ride waves like a kid on a hobby horse. I never have a cowboy hat though, that must have blew off in the wind.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

Mac:
   Having met you, I can see you also, Hos Cartright hat in one hand, the other hand on the mainsheet riding bucking bronco style! Yeehaww!!
Bob23

Shawn

LOL, make sure you get the boots too.

I think on the trip back we were on that stretch for 3 or 4 hours. I had a copilot with me and we took turns napping in the cockpit. I doubt I could have done that in the 23, there would have been to much motion.

Shawn

Tim

Molson - This is exactly what I am hoping to do this coming summer, but with a CP 16... hopefully.

I have been to Martha's Vineyard and Block Island many times before and I would say that Shawn nailed it, wait for good weather and keep a close eye on the tides (the rips get ripping out there). Being fully exposed water, that area can get rough. I was once caught out between the Vineyard and Block in 14 foot seas on my father's 26' Wellcraft fishing boat. It was not fun and I would not have wanted to be on any boat smaller than what I was on.

I would recommend launching into Point Judith Pond at the boat launch there. If you google maps '100-136 Great Island Rd, Narragansett, RI 02882' you'll see it (just east of the bridge).  As far as anchoring at Block, don't, just pick up a mooring in Great Salt Pond. There are dinghies that drive around and pick people up and bring them to shore for a small fee. It's a sweet spot.

I can't speak to the seaworthiness of a CP 19 or even the CP 16. I just sold my Pearson 26 and wanted a small project. I ended up buying a CP 16 in pretty bad shape and I am currently rebuilding her. I am hoping to make some improvements (lead ballast amongst other things) and beef her up a little bit. Good luck in your search for the perfect 19. And although I have only owned a CP for a few months let my pass on what I have learned: inspect the concrete ballast if you're shopping for one above the mason dixon line. :)

Tim

mayrel

We are new CP19 owners with limited sailing experience; mostly smaller sailboats.  We were out in over 20mph winds and 3-4 foot seas, gusting to 25mph.  On a broad reach she ran along a 6.8 to 7.3mph under main alone.  But when we turned around it was a brutal beat with the main reefed and the jib out about 1/3.  Our speed dropped to around 3.5mph, the boat did pound and we got some spray once in awhile.  Considering we had a long way to go on a beat to get back to our marina, I decided to motor back under bare poles.  We were about 10 degrees off the wind/waves and it was a very rough ride, as well as wet.  But the boat did fine, we just got tired of the rough conditions.  Mind you, we're both 67 and don't have the stamina we once did.  We won't venture out in these conditions again.
She is a very comfortable and able sailboat IMO in winds in the 6-15mph range, depending on chop and direction of course.  Being retired we can chose when we go, and we intend to make some short trips for 2-4 days in duration.  We're located on the Choctawhatchee Bay which can get pretty nasty when the wind pipes up.  Seems we get mostly SW winds this time of year, perfect if you're heading east.  One trip we intend to make is to Panama City/Andrews Bay, about 40 miles from us, and Pensacola/Mobile about the same distance to Pensacola, Mobile Bay being about 20 miles from Pensacola.  There is a good mix of bay sailing and ICW motoring to make for an enjoyable time, weather pending of course.
I have no doubt this boat is capable of handling some pretty nasty conditions, but not sure we'd enjoy it.  As many have mentioned, most decent boats will handle a lot more than the crew, or than what's desireable/comfortable.  I have to say I'm quite pleased with her performance, she's not a slug IMO, but she's not a racing boat either, sort of an SUV on the scale.  She's definitely well built.
Speaking of motoring, we have a Tohats Pro-Sail 6hp with 25" shaft.  We motored back in heavy conditions at 4.5mph at about 1/4 throttle; the motor sips fuel too.  I installed a Mac Pro-protector which is suppose to enhance thrust, although I don't have any way to measure this.  Suffice it to say, everything works as designed, and works well.