Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tow vehicles

Started by Brent65, January 01, 2015, 12:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Vec:
   Sounds like some excessive tongue weight to me together with the out of balance wheels. Pretty tiring to drive that way. When I pull my 23 with my 2001 Tundra 4wd, 4.7L v-8, I hardly know it's back there except for this giant bow glaring at me in the rear view. It's very well balanced and while I haven't towed far, coming down the Garden State Parkway at 70 was no problem, but you have to pay attention especially if there are NY drivers around. (If you are a NY driver, please don't be offended- you know what I mean!)
Bob23

brackish

The definitive piece of information is "I live in the Rockies".  So where in the Rockies?  I drive from Denver up I70 to the 40 exit to Winter Park going through Berthoud Pass every year and I'm not sure I would want to tow on that route with anything less than twice the tow rating of the tow and twice the gross combined.  You are already at an altitude where the motor is less efficient and the stopping, if necessary, on those down grades approaching hairpin switchbacks, may be very difficult.  Does your trailer have brakes?

I tow my 23 which I'm sure is pushing 5k total load with a Toyota Tacoma that is rated at 6500 lbs. with 11,100 lbs. gross combined.  Plenty of cushion for my normal routes but there is no way I would go off interstate through the Rockies with that rig. I do know it is back there on anything other than perfectly flat.  In the north Alabama hills, not even close to being comparable to the Rockies, it tends to struggle on the upgrades and I constantly plan for potential stops on the downgrade.  In my five years of occasional towing of this rig I've only had a couple of very tense moments.  Both were trying to stop in the rain, forced to it by a quick light.  Trailer brakes, truck brakes, ABS system all operating and white knuckles on the steering wheel.  In fact the only time my ABS system has ever come on is trying to stop that tow in the rain.

Most anything can get it going.  Your tow vehicle decision should be based on what will stop it.