Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

HC Trailer Tongue Dimensions

Started by Lazar, December 25, 2014, 05:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazar

rbh1515

Just out of curiosity, why are those dimensions important?
Also. what size ball does it fit onto?
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

CaptRon28

Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Lazar

Quote from: rbh1515 on December 25, 2014, 06:31:32 PM
Just out of curiosity, why are those dimensions important?
Also. what size ball does it fit onto?
Rob

Just for you...I have a really good Fulton F2 trailer jack on another boat and trailer I own which is kept in my garage that I intend to swap when the HC is delivered, since where I intend to store my HC will require a bit of positioning by hand. I simply wanted to know now rather than wonder until then. If you don't know, then forget about it. If you don't want to share that information, I could not care less..

And I have a couple of trucks with different hitch balls, so that won't be a problem..

rbh1515

I was curious because I have a HDC on order, and will be getting the boat in the spring.  Unfortunately I don't know the dimensions.
Rob

raghaulerII

3"x4". You're getting a great boat! The trailer, not so much if you put many miles on.

rbh1515

Are there issues with the trailer?  I saw the pics with all your mods!
Rob

raghaulerII

Rob,
I pull a lot of miles on Michigan's poor roads.  I have more "glass rash" from the original trailer than from any dock I have encountered.  On my pull home from SC I thought I was going to shake the dash out of my Suburban. We took turns laying in the back of the truck watching the trailer to try to figure out which tire was making the shake.  We put the spare on the corner we thought was bouncing the most.  Then we tried moving it again in another hundred miles. We finally shook all the way home. I had the tires spun balanced when I got home and it helped an amazing amount. Really had no complaints related to shaking the dash after the balancing.

I soon noticed a bang when I took off from a stop.  First I thought the shock in the hydraulic brake hitch was bad.  Discovered the real cause was a severed brake line.  It had got pinched in the suspension and had lost all fluid and the cylinder had nothing to keep it from banging. As I worked on the line I noticed that all the tires had been rubbing on the fenders and the port fender actually had a crease in it from tire impact.  At that point I ordered new axles and tires for a winter overhaul!

As I have read on other sites about the Horizon trailer, I too put some nice gouges in the front of the keel with the unprotected supports on the 2x4 guides on the rear of the trailer.  Bummer.  I built removable, spring loaded guides to keep me centered on the trailer.  They weren't removable until I realized they grabbed my fenders when I was unloading.  I needed the fenders deployed for my solo launches so now the guides are only on for loading.

I also found the boat getting caught on the guide 2x4's when I floated on in a cross wind. Indigo would pivot around my spring loaded guides in a side wind.  I now have 2x12's for guides and love them.  I should mention that I spring loaded the guides because I wanted the boat to be held dead center when I pulled.  If you look down the side of the boat it becomes quit obvious that I would need to be wider at mid boat and then tighten at the rear.  Made loading a dream!

Next problem I had was the winch roller rubbing up and down on the front of the boat as the trailer flexed.  Actually had to replace the roller a couple times.  Couldn't winch it tight enough to stop the wear.  I put 2x4 tubing on both sides of the trailer from front to rear as seen in the pictures.  Helped a bunch but still could see the boat pivoting in the cradle in my rear view mirror and was still getting roller wear.  I then put the adjustable roller under the front of the boat.  Problem solved. I remove the assembly before launch and reinstall after loading and adjust it up tight against the hull for stability while towing.

During the install of the 2x12's and the tubing I noticed the keel was only touching the 2x6 under the keel in the two spots where there were steel supports under the 2x6.  Added 2 more cross braces and now contact the full length of the keel.  I'm guessing it was probably fine but I sure like it having full contact rather than on the two contact points.

The ladder on the front and the platform for keeping dry when the water in Lake Michigan is 36 degrees were added as time allowed and I love both. I am sailing fresh water so I didn't galvanize the modifications.  I pulled several thousand miles this season and most of the mods have worked well.  Indigo is in the barns and the trailer is back on the winter jack stands. Partly because that is how I like to store in the off season and partly because the rubber in the new torsion axles failed!  New warranty axles due in next week.  Always something to do if you own a boat:)

One additional note.  Before starting the modifications I had the rig weighed.  4650 lbs on the scale alone. 4200 lbs with the tongue hooked on the truck.  I have an 8 horse yamaha 4 stroke outboard and two batteries. 5 gallons of gas in the tank, anchor, and life jackets on board. I believe the total weight of the modifications to be close to 300 lbs.  Only add this information because I have seen questions of weight asked several times about Horizons.