a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Re: JTHatcher; C16 down the Erie Canal

Started by Citroen/Dave, November 21, 2014, 05:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroen/Dave

I have been playing around with the idea of travelling the Erie Canal next summer in my C16/2.  Mast up to take advantage of the wind when it is favorable and to support a boom tent at night.  I like camping in and out of the cabin.  Several years ago I rented a barge canal boat from Mid Lakes Navigation and travelled west from their marina.  The towns and the local people along the canal are what made that trip so enjoyable.  Towns are just close enough to support a small boat trip and to provide interesting day trips and foul weather ports. Many towns have free or very cheep docking some with free bikes, electric power, showers, and etc. Has anybody tried this adventure.  I think it might be just right for a 70th year outing.  Navigation would not be a problem . . .
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

atrometer

Not sure, but don't think you can keep your mast up.  Great trip tho'.  See link  http://members.ij.net/wctss/wctss/photos119.html

Citroen/Dave

I have a mast crutch, and raising and lowering the mast on a C16 is no problem.  Thanks, great pictures.  More sailors should enjoy the canal, not just the snow birds heading south from the Great Lakes to Florida and beyond . . .

jthatcher

Hi Dave,
  great to hear that someone else is thinking about a canal trip!   you do have the advantage of  easily taking the mast along on the 16..   I  would need assistance  with raising and lowering the mast on the 23..  and not sure that i want to deal with that.. or with the mast being in the way  while it is down.    But,  i do like the idea of a boom tent :)   we have a bimini on the boat, and we would certainly  have that installed for the trip.   I understand that  it costs $75  for  a decal for the year.   One  person remarked that it was the best $75  he spent on his way south from Canada! 

We are also cyclists..  and someday I would  enjoy riding the canal bike path  as well..  but for now,  the boat would suit us just fine. 

Let's keep in touch regarding plans and planning..  what time frame did you have in mind?  jt   

Citroen/Dave

Late Spring or early Fall; the C16 is too small for an air conditioner. I enjoyed the approaching fall colors on the last trip, the cool evenings, and the lack of school kids with the Summer crowds.  

I think the prevailing wind is westerly, so I would think that would be the way to go to take the advantage.  Most of the neat stuff and closer spacing of the towns are on the western end of the canal.  The larger sailboat canal-cruisers I observed leave their mast at home and take a Bimini.  I don't know if I would try the entire length of the canal and catch a bus or train back, or turn around after I have had about enough adventure.  I might rig a second short mast, high enough to make a boom and tarp support, with and without tarp spreaders, to make a "Bimini" and an evening tent.  That way I will have an option to sail some, wind permitting, or to dodge the lower bridges for any particular day. [I'm now considering a higher mast crutch for the aft end of the "boom tent/Bimini" support using just the mast for the ridge pole. A spar tied to the spreaders will make the leading edge for the tent to take the load off of the spreaders.  It should overlap an open hatch enough for rain protection.  That spar will be moved aft to make the Bimini with a smaller or folded tarp.]  One can always camp along the canal and walk the tow path a block or two into a town if it is inconvenient to wait for a bridge or lock keeper.

I recently cut the bunks at the forward part of my cabin foot well to take advantage of more right angle storage space.  I took out the V shape overhangs of the bunks and now have more foot space for two people to sit opposite each other.  I bridge over the gap when needed with a small piece of plywood.  I can now face aft using the head, and carry an umbrella for more privacy.  More importantly, I now have an additional battery stored low and forward for additional cruising capacity.  Speed limit on the canal is just a notch or two above the hull speed of a C16 so I may have to change to a gasoline outboard for adequate cruising speed and range, but I carry a light weight 15 amp charger and will use the city dock's power to recharge as needed.  Cruising under batteries alone, I might have to lower the speed too much to conserve energy for the day's distances.

The previous owner of my C16 added a wood strip along and below the top of each cockpit bench. Three plywood squares, otherwise stored beneath a bunk mattress, rest on the wood strips bridging over the cockpit foot well.  They support three square life preserver/cushions at the same height of the two bunk mattresses from below to make a queen size bed under the tent.  Plastic storage boxes with sealing lids, normally stored below deck, are under the "bridge bunk", leaving the cabin bunks and foot well open if I have to make a hasty retreat with the mattresses to the cabin if foul weather approaches in the night.

Several years ago I rented one of the shorter Mid Lakes boat from Macedon.  Thirty minutes after we left the boat at the end of the trip, Mid Lakes called me to ask if I had accidently pumped water into the diesel tank.  [These boats have fuel and water capacity in excess of a week's worth of cruising needs.] They noted that the diesel tank was down only three gallons when they topped up the tank and they were looking for an explanation before they drained the tank for water.  I was instructed that 2,300 rpm was max for their engines but I heard an occasional cavitation on the prop and did not like running the engine "wide open".  I cruised at 1,800 to 1,900 rpm even though a similar boat would slowly pull away from the several times we left the same town docks.  I think that week long round trip was about 50 or 60 miles total . . .

mikew

Great topic- I too have been thinking of exploring the canals next spring. I live near Albany, NY which is very close to the Erie and Champlain canals and Hudson river. I have put my Cp-16 in "trawler" mode before ( the rig is left at home and I use my larger bimini top), powered by a 4 hp Yamaha. The boat is set up for overnight cruising ,and so far have spent an overnight at the Waterford town dock to try things out. There is free dockage for 2 nights, water, power, head and showers. A short walk brings you into town for a good selection of restaurants. The canals have parks, town docks and marinas to spend the night. Some tips - wait a few weeks after it opens in the spring so the logs and branches can run off. Use your largest fenders for the locks, the lock masters listen to VHF Ch.#13, a handheld radio will work fine. You could raise the mast between locks, but it may be easier to leave the rig off- more storage room and easier to get around on deck. NYS has a web site for the canals, http://www.canals.ny.gov ,and http://www.nycanals.com you can order permits by mail,$10-$50, also a chart book of the canals.
The western end looks more desirable with the towns closer together, but I would like to explore closer to home.

Mike    

jthatcher

Hi Mike,
   it is neat to find that a few of us are interested in  a canal trip..   the advice to wait a bit after the opening is interesting..  not a problem for me, because I am a teacher and will need to wait for summer vacation anyhow  :)      how long would you like to spend on a trip?    I am in agreement to leave the mast home..  just too much clutter to deal with, and I have banged my head a few times when trying to access the boat while the mast was down..   that would take a lot of fun out of the experience!    It certainly sounds like a wonderful time..  jt

mikew

Jt, one could spend a month cruising the canals but I would spend a week myself. If you like to get more info. - google Mid Lakes Navigation, for the steel canal boats as Dave mentioned. Also http://cruise-usa.com for a site that rents Nimble 24's on the canal.( I know you are not renting but the sites are informative. ). Then on youtube, search erie canal cruise and erie canal nimble. Interesting to look at and make plans.

Mike

comfortably numb

Great minds think alike! One of the many reasons I moved down to a C-19 was for her shoal draft and accommodations suitable for canal touring! I wish I had more time to do so, but these links will add to my winter reading and planning. I may rent a barge sometime for a week to go out and come back. But most likely, I will keep exploring outside  the Crooked River Canal system that links 4 lakes to Cheboygan , over 40 miles, some in wilderness. It starts just north of Petoskey and I will be frequenting the area anyway, but it will be a 9 hr tow to get there. Been touring by canoe with 2 hp kicker. I will ck out the sites, thanks.

hoddinr

I spent a week on the Erie last June, and highly recommend it!  We chartered a Nimble Nomad mini trawler and started in Lake Cayuga and went west on the Erie for 3 days before turning around.  The towns put out the welcome mat for boaters!  One volunteer even took a guy in our group to a Home Depot for a part he needed for his boat.  Plus docking is free! Includes electric and water, and pump out if needed. 

Ron

hoddinr

Here are a few photos from our Erie Canal Charter last summer (June):

http://ftp.ij.net/wctss/wctss/photos119.html

Ron Hoddinott

jthatcher

great set of photos... make that idea of the trip all that more attractive!    thanks for sharing..   jt

Citroen/Dave

Cruisers Forum today has a video titled "Erie Canal with a 2 year old" showing a sailboat going East to West . . .

jthatcher

well..  it looks like my wife can get 10 days off  the second half of June..   so the planning will begin :)     can't wait to watch the  video  - cruising  on the erie canal with  a 2 year old..    of course, we are way beyond that stage!    :)      but any source for  information is worthwhile..    jt

hoddinr

If I can get up there in June, it will be early June, or end of May into June, for a couple of weeks. 
Probably head to Macedon Mid-Lakes for put in.  Plenty of storage for truck and trailer, and SUPER friendly folks.
It's on the western side of the canal, and I've been told the prettiest.  Have to go back to Fairport.  Indeed a Fair Port!  Then I may head back east to see some of the canal and the big lake that I missed last June.

Ron