- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bootstripe replacement on '87 CP19??

Started by mikeg, July 07, 2006, 02:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dusty

===================================

bright burgandy will look nice.

k3v1n was talking about using the rustoleum line. wonder if he ever reported back on how that went....

Paul

Mike:

Sounds like you've got things ready.  Really looking forward to pics.
I will note that I've picked up some pointers from others on other forums regarding painting as I'm in the process myself.

1) Don't skimp on the masking tape.  Auto painting supply may have what you need to do a good job.  Plastic "fineline" tape will prevent paint from wicking underneath the tape.  Make sure you smooth it down firmly.

2) All fiberglass boats have mold release wax on them to one degree or another.  Therefore, de-wax prior to sanding.   Otherwise, sanding will drag the wax into the gelcoat further, causing the new paint not to last as long.

Good luck.  Looking forward to pics.

mikeg

Thanks guys- 

I need to get on the stick and make pics of the new boat to take on vacation in a couple weeks also (to show the relatives/friends), so you guys asking me for e-pics too is extra motivation not to procrastinate. I can't wait to see how the burgundy looks against that creme color hull and the slightly darker creme awlgrip on-deck. Should be snazzy!

Mike
s/v Freebird -CP19

Craig Weis

Well the strip on Peanut Butter, a C-P 19 was never painted. It was just a vinyl stick on stripe.

Use a heat gun and peel it off.

The new stripe can be 'floated on' using a detergent foam and water mix with the stripe applied right over the foam.

That way you can move this around till you get it where it should be.

Then squeeze out the air and foam/water with a bondo trowl starting from center out. End to end.

Stuck for ever. Practice on a small piece till you have the skills.

A college job: Super Sign Service, floating the stuff onto firetruck doors. skip.

mgg

I'll add my experience.  My CP-19 had the ugly brown stripe.  I would normally have painted a new one, but the boat wasn't in a good place so I figured to try the vinyl route.  I orded 50 feet of 5 inche light blue, one inch dark blue and 1/4 inch red.  I tried wet - but didn't try small pieces first and quickly discovered that any place the backing paper got wet, it refused to come off.  The vinyl place actually recommended dry application.....  so i tried it. As long as there were two of us - one to stretch and align and one to press it down, it went pretty well.  Near the middle of the boat, it takes a fairly good stretch as the side of the boat is not flat.  We only got one chance at putting it down, once it stuck, it was stuck.  We had a few small bubbles which we either pricked and rubbed out - or just ignored.  After a few weeks in the sun, most of them just disappeared.  In the end it looks real nice.    I think next time though, I'll still go back to paint if I can.  I have a picture over in the image gallery.