a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Main sheet and boom vang

Started by rogerschwake, October 03, 2014, 12:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerschwake

Would like to add a boom vang to my Sun Cat, do they make much difference on sail shape? I enjoy trying to get the best sail shape and speed when I'm out sailing. My plan is to make the 4:1 main sheet my boom vang and buying a new 2 speed set up to replace my old main sheet. The new main sheet I'm looking at is a 3:1 6:1 and will cost $250 for the blocks plus a new main sheet. I've never used or seen one of these 2 speed set ups, has anyone ever used one? Looking at this as a winter project, sorry to say but that's coming soon. Give me your thoughts on this please.

ROGER

Craig

Too complicated for this old sailor! Vang IS helpful but another line to deal with.Why not just get/make a vang and leave sheet system as is? Why a 2 speed sheet system?  The Suncat is a simple boat and no matter what you do on some points of sail will be slow relative to a sloop. I have never used a 2 speed sheet system but IMHO is overkill on a Suncat. More like something for a racing boat. Just my thoughts and worth what you paid for them!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

MacGyver

Roger,

Are you looking for a 2 speed meaning for GROSS and FINE tuning? If so, I think it would be to much for that boat, and not really needed, although neat.
OR are you looking for 2 speed where the mainsheet is doubled through the blocks where it has no termination and has both ends coming through the cam cleat? If so on this, I can see a gain as you could quickly adjust the sheet or slowly adjust, which could be a gain on your boat if setup properly.

Let me know if you know what I am talking about above, If needed I can post links or pictures next time I am on. I am assuming you might since you are inquiring about it all.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Craig

Good points Mac. I was thinking of the first type. Have seen a continuous sheeting system. If I connected the two sheet tails on the Horizon Cat that is what I would have except that I have port & starboard sheet blocks/cam cleats.

rogerschwake

All I know about the two speed main sheet is what I've found to read. The main sheet set up I'm looking at has two lines coming out, each with there own cam cleat.  From that it sounds like you pull just one sheet for slow and both for trimming the sheet in faster. Have no idea if you use a continues sheet or not, you supply the sheet. The mechanical advantage for the main sheet I'm looking at is 3:1 and 6:1, what's on the boat now is 4:1. I realize that this is not something that is a have to have especially for my boat, but is just one of the many things I enjoy about sailing.

MacGyver

Roger, I would assume the benefits would be faster trimming due to the ratios availability. CLR race 2015 is right around the corner! Anything to get that competitive edge! ahhahahahahahahah
Not sure on the original angle question though, I am not very knowledgeable on angle of attack and such quite yet. Maybe some one else knows on that....

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

Craig

Still sounds like overkill for a Suncat. Ours had the stock factory setup with two sheets,port and starboard(the current configuration). Worked great. IMHO there is no need for a two speed setup but it is your call (and money). I would rather spend my money for something like a Powertiller motor control system or a Boomkicker to support the boom when raising/lowering the sail.

rogerschwake

Not bragging but I already have a autohelm and lazy jack lines that are adjustable from the cabin top. Though about a boomkicker but am real happy with my lazy jacks, it holds the boom up so it does not hit the boom gallows and catches the sail when you lower the sail on a windy day. My main sheet and traveler are mounted on the bridge deck, it is in the way some times but I like it there. I appreciate all your comments it makes sure I have not skipped any better ideas before I spend my boat bucks.

ROGER

capt_nemo

rogerschwake,

Bridgedeck traveler and Mainsheet! NOW I understand why you are considering replacing your current 4:1 mainsheet with another of greater mechanical advantage.

The hand/arm/bicep force required to control our Sun Cat Mainsail is greater with the older model "mid-boom" sheeting arrangement than the more recent double ended end-boom sheeting arrangement. And, it could be quite tiring to muscle the 4:1 for long periods in heavy air.

That said, with your forward mainsheet location I'm not sure that a boom vang would be as beneficial to you as it might be to us who have end-boom sheeting and might require the extra downward pull of the vang up forward to control sail shape. I said "might require" in reference to a boom vang because after 4+ years of sailing my end-boom sheeted Sun Cat in all conditions, in my opinion the addition of a boom vang is unnecessary.

By the way, I assume you are being careful to avoid inadvertent chafe of the mainsail and interference with sail shape when using your Lazy Jacks as a topping lift (even when relaxed). My mind just can not accept Lazy Jacks used as a Topping Lift and permanently deployed while sailing, when they are only needed for a few minutes each time when lowering the mainsail. I do use (movable) Lazy Jacks. And yes, I do have a separate Topping Lift to ensure Gallows clearance and boom control when reefing, which a boomkicker would eliminate. But, I'm still wondering whether it is worth the cost.

capt_nemo

rogerschwake

I have been waiting to hear what you thought about my changes Capt. My thinking is I need the boom vang for down wind. The 4:1 tackle on the main sheet may be over kill for a boom vang, but this gives me a good excuse to buy the two speed for the main sheet. I like my toys and playing with them. Here in Iowa we don't have the large expanse of water that many of you have and working on my boat is almost as much fun as sailing it.

ROGER

capt_nemo

rogerschwake,

Although I have more than enough open water around me, I too love working on my boats and building small boats, almost as much as I love sailing.

And, since you said "I like my toys and playing with them", move that 4:1 tackle up as a boom vang and buy that new two speed toy for the main sheet!
The vang, together with mainsheet, may very well help to shape the main for more efficient downwind sailing.

I have often been questioned, no, chided, and even ridiculed for adding "more things (bowsprit and headsails) and strings" to play with on my otherwise simple cat-rigged boat. But I don't let it bother me because the result is much better sailing performance, especially in light air. And, when you look back historically at the Catboat, all the rigging mods I've made have been time-tested and proven effective a long time ago.

Sail safely, and ENJOY working on your boat!

capt_nemo

rogerschwake

Thanks everyone how replied to this post, your thoughts on my project are much appreciated. Not a lot of sailors here in Iowa to hash something like this over with.

ROGER

capt_nemo

rogerschwake,

Your welcome.

That's why we're here.

capt_nemo

MacGyver

I second NEMO'S statement
besides, a guy always has to know what his CLR 2015 RACE competition is up to! ;) ;)

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Tom L.

Roger, I was wondering if you ever changed your mainsheet to a two speed 3:1/6:1 purchase. I too have mid boom sheeting and it can be a handful when it's blowing. I have looked at Gauerhauer and they make a two speed sheeting system but is meant for use as a boom Vang. Just wondering if you did it and how it functions in the cockpit. I am most concerned about the ability to release the sheet in a hurry and have it payout smooth without tangling.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat