Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Motor size and shaft length?

Started by waterwheels, September 06, 2014, 09:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterwheels

Hey All,

What are you Eclipse owners using for outboard HP and shaft length?

Thanks Don

Vectordirector

Mine came with a Suzuki 6HP 4 stroke.  Long shaft I believe around 25".  Always starts on the first or second pull.  Sips gas, I haven't used more than 2 gallons a season.  No complaints.  I think it was new with the boat in 2005.  1/2 throttle is more than enough on Lake Geneve, Wi., even in heavy chop and 20 knots of wind.  The prop will come out of the water when bouncing around in 2-3 ft wakes from the wakeboard boats.  Par for the course with an outboard I gather.  I wouldn't want anything bigger and heavier.  Your sailing conditions dictate how much HP you need,  but I can't see needing more than 6HP on this boat.    Everyone seems to rave about the Tohatsu. 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

waterwheels

Thanks Vectordirector,

Does the 25 inch shaft clear the water when tipped up and sailing? I was not going to go more than 6 hp but I have heard differing opinions on the shaft length recommendations .

Thanks Don

Vectordirector

Hi Don,

The prop clears the water fine when tilted up, probably by a good 6 inches,  although I don't know if all the boats have the same motor mount.   If you have a doubt I would think a quick call to the factory would be in order. They seem to be very good about answering these types of questions.

Good luck

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

I use a Nissan 4 hp 4 stroke long shaft.  It clears the water since it raises up to just about horizontal.  Plenty of power and not a lot of weight on the aft end.  The PO had a 9.9 hp Johnson 4 stroke that was a beast.  Being old and feeble, I decided to sell it with my Precision 21 and keep the Nissan for the new boat.  The Nissan, like most small 4 strokes loves clean gas that has marine ethanol stabil in it.  I have had the motor since 2001 and it has been a gem.  Starts on second pull and moves either boat with ease.  The Precision was slightly heavier that the Eclipse and even in current it would move along just fine.

capt_nemo

waterwheels,

Recommend you consider the long shaft YAMAHA 4 HP 4-stroke w/FNR shifting. Plenty of power for my 1500 lb. Sun Cat, pushing her to hull speed at about ½ throttle. Sips fuel, pull-starts easily, and tilts up nicely for sailing.

capt_nemo

waterwheels

Rainy day, catching up.

Thanks for all the advice. Went with the Tohatsu 6hp sailpro with the 25" extra long shaft. Really like the 5 amp charging system and will be giving that a good try out on an upcoming trip.
Very happy with the outboard and it fits the boat perfectly. Tips up really nice when sailing.

Don
Living Water

alsantini

Don.  Is the green life line across the back a stock item?  Looks cool.  Is it functional?
Al

waterwheels

Al,

It is not a stock item. It is a life line covered with foam and canvas. We saw it on a picture of the diesel eclipse that Ted owns now and asked for one when we got our new Eclipse last fall. My wife thought it may be a good idea to keep me in the boat (guess she wants to keep me around for a while yet)
It works ok when out sailing but I kind of find it in the way of the outboard and raising the tiller for standing at the stern while docking or manoeuvring in tight spots.

Do you have a tiller tamer or auto pilot?

Don
Living Water

alsantini

Don.  OK on life line.  I wondered if it might be in the way some of the time.  I love the open transom on the Eclipse.  I would love to try out an autopilot, but do not have one.  I have a Forespar extender and a lockbox on the port side.  I placed the lockbox on the port side because I figured I sit on the starboard side when motoring anywhere.  I really like having the ability to lock the tiller down since it gives me the time I need to go into the cabin, raise the main, reef the main, etc.  It holds really well.  I had a tiller tamer on my previous boat that was installed by the PO.  After a year or so I installed a Forespar extender and a lock box.  Used it for probably 12 years, so when I bought the Eclipse last year it seemed like a good addition.  What do you use when single handed and you need to do something?  Vector (Bryan) has an autopilot on his Eclipse.

Vectordirector

I too was wondering about the lifeline on the stern.  I could see it if I had kids on the boat.  Otherwise I think it would be in the way too much.  Gotta keep the Admiral happy though.  I'm sure you'll get used to it.  Might be handy to hook a small cooler or something on it.

My boat came with one of the small tiller pilot setups, Simrad, I think  They go for about $400.  I've used it a few times to help hold  the bow into the wind while raising the main.  It works well.  If you solo a lot I think it is well worth the money.  I haven't used it much since I moved to Florida and have a sailing buddy.  I did buy a forespar tiller entention and it is a great help for keeping control of the boat when standing in the cabin adjusting the outhaul or reefing lines or grabbing a snack or drink.  It also allows me to sit further forward and see the tell tails on the jib.  The boat also sails better without her stern dragging.  Both items are worthy upgrades if you solo much.  If you normally have another sailor on board, the autopilot might be unnecessary.     I do recommend the tiller extension.  I got the telescoping 48" one from West Marine.   Well worth the $100.

Sail on,

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold