a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

guntle worn out. can it be repaired?

Started by ramble on, May 30, 2006, 06:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramble on

just discovered lower guntle has been worn out of origanal shape. has anyone redrilled one and inserted a bushing? what about an epoxy/aluminum filings filler redrilled to specs?

thanks,

ramble on

tooboat

Just had to reply to this one! Having complained to ComPac (Gerry) about my Sun Cat arrangement I became frustrated with the design and the excicution. Recently purchased a 1987 CP 23 whose rudder was about as lose as it could be without falling off. I removed the whole assembly and went to a local machine shop and ask them to rebush and line drill the thing. They did a great job adding washers and shoulder bolts. This fix will last a lifetime. They charged me $250! CHEAP AT TWICE THE PRICE. There is no longer any hint of a wooble!

If I can get to the mounting bolts on my SUN CAT it is my intention to have the same repair made.

Ron B (tooboat)

ramble on

thanks for the idea. and thanks for knowing i meant gudgeon, not guntle!

ramble on

djbliley

I actually did mine myself...twice. I believe the gudgeon pin bolts on ours ('84 CP23 II) were 5/16".

The first time I did this was about 6 years ago, and I simply redrilled to 3/8" and used larger bolts.

This last time, I drilled to 1/2" and used 1/2 OD to 3/8 ID shoulder-style bronze bushing inserts, which are commonly available at many hardware stores.

It would have been nice to have been able to line drill everything as an assembly, but I spent a lot of time to make sure I drilled everything as straight as possible. Results? I have a nice, tight gudgeon once again.

Thinking about adding zerk fittings so I can grease it every now and then, but that's still up in the air.

ramble on

crbakdesign

Zerk fittings are threaded or press fit grease fittings.  Normally associated with grease guns.  If you are using a grease gun on a boat, you would probably want clear silicone grease.  Anything else will mar your hull finish.

ramble on

Craig Weis

I took the casting off my C-P 19 and lined bored the two holes together, then inserted two stainless steel bushings with stainless steel bolts, nuts, washers...all is well more detail in the 19 section.