a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Finally in the water

Started by Ron, May 11, 2014, 10:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

At last, our new to us 25 is in the water at Nelson's Marina, weather generally uncooperative for proper cleaning and waxing, topsides really dirty, but once we get her to her home wharf we can really apply some effort to bring her up. Even though I have owned smaller boats I was taken aback by the amount of labor needed to just make her just presentable. Some mysteries along the way, for example the presence of a what must be a flag halyard from the truck to a cleat on the backstay. At first it was wrapped or the block was jammed, but Nelson's cleared it, Gordon and his staff have been  quite helpful and generous over all, understanding of my need to "learn" the boat and offering helpful suggestions. Never had a furler before so my brother who has decoded most of its mysteries helped me thru bending the genoa on, fortunately that day the wind was moderate and the boat was facing it so some flogging was all we experienced. Ordered a new main halyard from Compac, expensive, I know, but I had the feeling time was against us so I thought one already made up would be a good idea. Of course it arrived after the mast was stepped(Nelson's wanted us out of there before the later rush, but offered free use of a slip while our home wharf was being repaired. Still we need a name for the boat, somewhat annoyed that the biminni was badly worn which I had missed, and the dodger when folded jams up againist the traveler.

Have reeved a new halyard on previous boats with tape , apparently some use stiching, any ideas on that?
Ron

MacGyver

I am assuming the old halyard is still in place? If so I but them end to end, then run passes through both to help hold them together somewhat. After the threading (using whipping line by the way) you will cover with one tight pass of electrical tape.

This helps keep the assembly straight, and will pass through the sheaves without issue. Since most times that is the max line diameter you cannot get too crazy taping it up.

When the new line is run, you simply cut the whipping line and pull out the strands of whipping line and Voila! done deal!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Ron

thanks,
pretty much what I thought,having had good luck just taping in the past, but the 25 has an internal halyard arrangement so the stiching sounds like a good bet.
Ron
Ron

garinel

Hi Ron, are you in Nelson's Marina in Island Heights, NJ? If so, there'll be two CP25's there, which would be terrific. And very unusual, since there are only so few.
I am trailering my boat down in a week or two. Can't wait.
Christian
-garinel

Ron

Was at Nelson's up to a couple of weeks ago. Now north a few miles at the family vacation  home but you will find if you do not already know that Gordon Nelson and his guys are really sailboat oriented and do a nice job. As you say there are so few 25's that we should meet and compare notes if at all possible. Are you planning to have a slip at Nelson's?
Ron
Ron