a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

One fix leads to another

Started by JTMeissner, April 22, 2014, 11:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTMeissner

As can be figured, while I was cleaning up to prepare to mount stern rails and stanchions (posted previously), I was able to really dig into some of the questions I had about the boat.  Seeing as how it's 40+ years old and had been sitting for a decade, these are things I should have been looking for before.  Oh well, no time like the present; maybe this will help others take a closer inspection before things go really badly.

First problem discovered, extra concrete in the bottom of the boat.  As we know, the CP-16 has 450lbs of concrete ballast in the keel.  However, if the boat fills with water, then goes through several winter freeze/thaw cycles, this can go bad.  I finally took a real close look at this, and was able to remove a LOT of concrete; let's say I'm now running 425lbs ballast...

Concrete chunks removed.

And where it looks like they came from.

That may take some patience and will have to wait until the end of the season.  I have a Group-27 battery that makes up for the loss in concrete.

Second issue was the motor mount.  This was mounted with no backer board, and no washers.  Also, it was put on with 4" bolts (one isn't stainless, therefor has rusted), and one has created a pressure point on the cockpit seat because it reaches so far.  I found this out when trying to install the port stern rail as I had a lot of difficulty getting the wrench through those bolts.  I am not looking forward to fixing this, but it must be done before I hang the motor back there.

With the discussion of the dismasting in another topic, I noted my mast has both bolts with washers and screws.  I need to do additional work on the compression post as it no longer is attached to the bulkhead at the bottom (wood rotted out).  I've temporarily braced this but will need to get back at it for a more permanent fix.

No leaks, but it does seem like there was a repair in the past on the port side.  First picture is of the clean line at the starboard hull seam, second is the port side.  

And finally, I need to find all the internal backings of mounted equipment.  Beside the motor mount not being done correctly/well, the stern cleats have no fasteners.  I was wondering how the jam cleats were attached with no foam cut away, it's simple, the PO just screwed them in without internal work.  This is the underside of a stern cleat (in the low light it's hard to see no nuts/washers; good thing there hasn't been a lifting force put on these).  I thought those would have been a factory item, so previously maybe all the deck hardware was removed.

Some additional things to look into that could have bit me pretty good out on the water.  The culminating event of finding all this trouble was the brakes in my truck deciding to fail this morning.  Good thing I wasn't towing...

-Justin

capt_nemo

JTMeissner,

Just PRIORITIZE, take it one step at a time, and try to have some FUN doing it.

Second only to actually sailing I love to work on boats. It has its own distinct set of "rewards" for us DIY'ers.

capt. nemo