a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclipse

Started by carry-on, April 21, 2014, 11:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carry-on

Any Eclipse owners near(say 150 miles) Pensacola. I would like to take a look and discuss boat features.
Gerry Hutchins has one completing in may and another in construction....but that is a long trip just for a look-see.

Thanks
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

carry-on

Well, my patience being near zero, I made the trip to Clearwater yesterday and the Hutchins brothers were kind enough to show me two Eclipses. One, Hull #71, is a dark blue beauty,l all fitted out and nearly ready to ship to the owner. Many options including a diesel. Really a nice boat to live on a trailer.
The second is in construction and about ready for the deck and cab to be mated to the hull.
Also met Matt who has helped me several times with parts.
I really enjoyed the visit despite the 900 mile round trip.

With the drop axle trailer, I think the Eclipse would launch as easily as my 16. I will keep my eye open!
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

TedStrat

Hey Helmsmen....that blue hull beauty is in my driveway now. Delivered up here to Long Island this week. Glad you got to see her. Can't wait to get it in the water. Good luck finding yours

-Ted
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

carry-on

Ted,
Congrats on your new yacht. Hope you have many years of happy sailing.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

TedStrat

Thanks....rigging in driveway tomorrow - hope to launch week after and begin those many years!
-Ted

Mike K

Hi Ted,

It has been a while since you took delivery on your new blue hulled Yacht. I am in the market and considering trading my legacy for an Eclipse, and would love to hear some of your impressions on the boat. I am especially interested in how the diesel and the transom modifications are working out?  Was it worth the extra cost for the diesel?  Drawbacks?

Much thanks,
Mike
Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25

TedStrat

Hi Mike,
Somehow I missed your post and apologize it was over a month ago. Are you still considering the eclipse? I have been having a great time sailing this boat so far. It's been great in all wind conditions so far and I have tried different set ups when wind got gusty( jib only, mainsail only, etc). I have yet to try and reef the sail- that's next. It sails well in most wind so far but best in 5-12 knots. I have sailed back into the harbor, pulled up on sand bars to clam, sailed all points and have no complaints other than the usual jib sheet getting hung up momentarily on mast endear. I have healed the boat over heavily ( not intentionally) and after 2-3x realized its near impossible to flip- boat rounds up. Now I just spill off wind quicker than in past.
The diesel is fantastic- push of a button and pushes boat well. I filled it in June 6 or 7 gallons and still have 1/3 tank - very economical. The open transome is perfect for getting on and off boat on a beach or in shallows.
All in all, if it blew up tomorrow (not to jinx it) I would order the same thing the day after. I can email you some pics if you want or maybe answer some specific questions.
-Ted
-Ted

Mike K

Hi Ted,

Thanks for responding, it's good to hear about the diesel in the Eclipse and that you're happy with the boat and how it sails.  No problem with the delay.

In the meanwhile, I found another Eclipse owner who also previously owned a Precision 21 which is another boat I was keenly interested in.  After lots of questions and answers from him, a couple of weeks ago I bought a 2006 Precision-21 instead of the Eclipse, as I preferred the full transom, and the larger cabin and cockpit with 2 elevated "catbird" seats in the back. 

The only huge downside I found with the Precision is that it's a major job raising and lowering the mast. It took 3 people with the extra height, weight and complication of the roller furling jib.  I'm working on a mast raising system now for it using a MacGregor 26M pole system.  I heard from him that the ease of raising the mast of the Eclipse is a huge plus over the Precision, and now I believe it!

I'm still keeping my little Com-Pac Legacy to keep at my vacation/ future retirement home in Florida (will sail on Charlotte Harbor), so I hope I don't get thrown off this site for owning a Precision!
Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25

capt_nemo

TedStrat,

If you could post a close-up photo of your boat showing lower part of mast and foredeck, I may have a simple solution to your jib sheet hang-up.

Had the same trouble with jibs sheets on my Sun Cat. Yes, I fly headsails from my Catboat.

capt_nemo

TedStrat

Mike,

Sounds like you gave it a lot of thought so best of luck with the precision- I hear they area great boats too. The transom is an issue for people so I get it - I felt that way too before I bought but now am seeing the "silver lining" of ease of on and off and getting water out quickly if needed. wish I had more cabin room but it's ok. You will figure out the mast raising issue I'm sure. Happy sailing and stay on the site!

-Ted
-Ted

TedStrat

Quote from: capt_nemo on September 03, 2014, 09:37:02 PM
TedStrat,

If you could post a close-up photo of your boat showing lower part of mast and foredeck, I may have a simple solution to your jib sheet hang-up.

Had the same trouble with jibs sheets on my Sun Cat. Yes, I fly headsails from my Catboat.

capt_nemo

Nemo-

I've heard of ppl flying headsails with cats - sounds interesting and I hear they sail well. 
I was thinking of cutting a cedar 4x4 post and making a small block which I can round over to a cone on one side and drill a hole on the backside to fit the mastender post which is what the sheets are hanging up on. I would welcome your advice and idea. I will try to  see if I have a close up and try to post. If not will take one this weekend. Thanks

-Ted
-Ted

TedStrat

[/URL]]CPYOA/imagejpg1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Here is the best shot which shows the issue?.About 3' up from the cabin sole you will see the stainless small post which hangs everything up. I've seen an eyelet and line fix which looks like it will work really well but I would like to stay away from another trip hazard for my clumsy feet
-Ted

TedStrat

-Ted

capt_nemo

TedStrat,

My simple solution would consist of a light line, tied snugly onto the end of the metal projection or just above it around the mast, which is then led forward and secured somewhere at the stem head. The sheets, led OVER the line are kept from fouling on the hinge projections or other protrusions if in the way, 99% of the time.

An improvement on this simple concept is to employ a bungee cord with hooks on each end run through ½" PVC pipe of appropriate length. The hooks permit quick attachment and release. To allow maximum fore triangle area for tacking the jib, bend the PVC pipe with a heat gun so that the PVC pipe goes down at a steep angle to just above the deck (and any other obstructions) and then forward to the stem head. Not only is the fore triangle area much larger but the SLICK PVC pipe allows the sailcloth and sheets to fly over the encased line practically friction free!

The bent PVC Pipe solution has worked extremely well to prevent such annoying sheet snags on my Sun Cat when employing headsails.

A straight PVC Pipe (before bending) can be seen clearly holding the windward sheet out of the way in this early photo of homemade headsail experiments.

Hope this helps.

capt_nemo

TedStrat

That's actually another interesting idea Nemo...I may have to play around with that one and see how it goes.
Also, what a great shot of Frisky - beautiful boat - the green on the catboat is classic. I have a beetle cat that color but yours is in great shape. Those sun cats are nice boats
-Ted