a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Spring Cleaning

Started by Adnoh, April 10, 2014, 08:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adnoh

Ok guys I need advice on cleaning the deck and hull of my ComPac 23/2.
In the past I used a product called "Krud Kutter" mold and mildew cleaner, the blue bottle one.
It worked great. I am now unable to get it any where in my part of the country.
So any suggestions for a good cleaner to remove the mold and cleans up without too much hassel?
Also what wax is the best for the older fiberglass boats?
Thanks

brackish

I use Starbrite non-skid deck cleaner with PTEF.  The key is to let it sit for 5 minutes or so before brushing and rinsing.  I then use Woody's Wax.

capt_nemo

"Clorox Clean - Up with Bleach" available in pump spray bottles at Wal Mart and Grocery Stores. (Large refill bottles also available.)

Spray on, let sit a few minutes, work into surface with wet cloth or brush (for non-skid), and rinse thoroughly with clean fresh water. For stubborn stains reapply. Stuff also works elsewhere, like on tile and grout in home bathroom shower stalls.

Try it - think you'll like it - works for us.

Coincidentally, used some today to attack dirt and SW Florida mildew on exterior wood, cockpit, and inside cabin of Sun Cat "Frisky".

As for wax, new hull or old, "Collenite No. 885 Heavy Duty Fleetwax", paste wax in a can. Remember though, the key to a really good wax job is proper hull prep, cleaning AND polishing PRIOR to Wax application.

capt. nemo

skip1930

" So any suggestions for a good cleaner to remove the mold and cleans up without too much hassle?
Also what wax is the best for the older fiberglass boats?
"

I also like Clorox Clean-Up because it lowers the pH to around 4 and that kills bacteria.

Before waxing anything, all the 'dirt', water spots from hard water, and faded UV killed gel coat needs to be fully removed.

I suggest Mequiar's #49  Marine-RV Oxidation Remover polishing compound. Either by hand or by machine. Slick and shiny is the key word.

After being cleaned and de-smutted I use several applications Mother's Wax paste wax ... usually used for automotive surfaces.

General Motors officers a product called CrisCoat which is excellent if it can be found. Body shop supply houses.

Your results will be equal to the amount of elbow grease put into the job.

If ... a non ablative hard bottom paint is used, maybe a few coats of wax down there might help.

skip.

Tim Gardner

Using any sodium hypochlorite bleach without PPE can make you very sick, even cause (Chemical) pneumonia.  Wear a half face respirator with a chem rating and rubber gloves.  ESPECIALLY below deck. 

Personally, I would clean the interior with a product like 409 while still wearing a half face respirator.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

nies

Quote from: capt_nemo on April 10, 2014, 07:12:26 PM
"Clorox Clean - Up with Bleach" available in pump spray bottles at Wal Mart and Grocery Stores. (Large refill bottles also available.)

Spray on, let sit a few minutes, work into surface with wet cloth or brush (for non-skid), and rinse thoroughly with clean fresh water. For stubborn stains reapply. Stuff also works elsewhere, like on tile and grout in home bathroom shower stalls.

Try it - think you'll like it - works for us.

Coincidentally, used some today to attack dirt and SW Florida mildew on exterior wood, cockpit, and inside cabin of Sun Cat "Frisky".

As for wax, new hull or old, "Collenite No. 885 Heavy Duty Fleetwax", paste wax in a can. Remember though, the key to a really good wax job is proper hull prep, cleaning AND polishing PRIOR to Wax application.

capt. nemo

nies

WOW, my boat needed mid season clean up and tried Clorox Clean-Up Cleaner+Bleach for the first time. Have always had a problem getting the black spots of mold off deck and non-skid surfaces...................spray on and let sit a few minutes,scrub and rinse.................thanks for the tip.........nies

capt_nemo

nies,

Isn't it wonderful to find a product that REALLY WORKS without a lot of hard scrubbing. Glad it worked to your satisfaction!

capt_nemo

Tim Gardner

Again, Chlorox bleach does not kill the Hyphae  (Roots) of mold or mildew for that matter.  A fungicide like peroxide will kill the mold hyphae.  Spray it on, let it dry then use bleach to lighten the stain left behind if you wish.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

skip1930

I like Our Family brand from Econ-Foods or Clorox Clean-Up Cleaner+Bleach and a soft nylon brush and a garden hose for the outside and the same stuff and a throw-a-way towel to wipe the overhead and 'XL' fiberglass insert on the CP-19.

I have a stain on the carpet covered bulkhead and was wondering if an 'Oxy-Clean' type cleaner would work on that? [Don't want to disappoint Vince.]

I don't believe I ever had to deal with mold. Just spider dirt and general crud.

Oh ... before I forget a mild solution of powered Tide and a soft horse hair brush to wash the sails out in the back yard before seasonal use might be a good idea. Rinse with the hose. Hang on a line stretched between two trees to dry.

I pulled my boat and 1930 Model 'A' out of winter storage last Friday, 10-April-2015.
Parked it on the street by my house. So I figure it will snow soon.

skip.

Craig

I have had pretty good luck with Oxy Clean to remove mildew stains, etc from fabric. Spray on and let it sit overnight. It takes a while to work. You might have to repeat the treatment.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL