a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bow Pulpit

Started by wroundey, March 18, 2014, 08:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wroundey

I have the original pulpit for my CP 16, but I am building a bowsprit and hope to have it ready for the spring. I know I could spend a couple hundred and buy a new pulpit, but having limited funds precludes that for now. Has anyone had success with bending a new one? Would it be possible to splice in some tubing to my original pulpit and make it longer? Any idea what the original pulpit is made of? Mine sure does not look like stainless, so I am wondering if it might be aluminum?

Tim Gardner

This may be just what you are looking for:  From The sailboat company's website under DIY projects:

DIY 9: A Mark I Com-Pac 16 is a great boat. It's a very basic boat compared to the Com-Pac 16 Mark II and the other newer Com-Pac 16 sailboats. It has a short aluminum bow pulpit that limits most improvements at the bow. This project modifies the bow pulpit and makes room for a new Com-Pac Legacy anchor roller. The secret to this improvement is that some 1-inch stainless steel tubing can be used as a splice for our 7/8 inch aluminum tubing. Com-Pac uses 7/8 inch tubing on all of its pulpits including the pulpits on its larger boats. In this example, we bent a new longer piece of aluminum tubing and used 2 short 1-inch pieces of stainless as splices. You could cut the pulpit, use the existing aluminum in front of the splice and make your splices longer on both sides. The results would be the same.

Stainless steel tubing is really flat metal that's welded together by a machine. It has a ridge on the inside where it was welded. Sometimes this ridge must be removed or rimmed to make 7/8 inch tubing fit inside 1-inch tubing. Filing or sanding the ridge inside a short piece of 1 inch is easy and sometimes not required. Tubing made by different companies may not fit. The inside diameter of tubing is a gray area and very little is published about this dimension.

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

wroundey

Tim,
Just what I am looking for. Did you get this info from Hutchins website? I did not see a DYI link there.

Tim Gardner

WR,

Here's the link: http://www.ipass.net/sailboat/  If you haven't perused the Sailboat Company's website, do it now.  Great info for you 16 & 23 owners.  I think Kieth doesn't care for the Island Packet design of the 19's, but sure does like the 27's.  He never mentions the 25, Watkins I say?

I hope to meet him soon, to give him a piece of my 19 mind.

Tongue-in-cheekedly,  TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

BruceW

I helped convince Keith that the 19 was trailerable. He just thought it was too much trouble before I got one and trailered it all over the place. I think he has fixed up a bunch of them, and now they are hard for him to find to remodel.

Come on over and convince him more about them!

I would have bought another a few years ago, but couldn't find one. Now I have a 23, which is all I can handle!
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23