a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mobile Battery Charger

Started by Citroen/Dave, March 04, 2014, 10:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroen/Dave

I found a very light weight battery charger to handle marina to marina travels in a C 16.  It has choices of battery type, battery size, and charge rates:  15 amp for deep cycle, 10 amp for automotive type batteries, and 2 amp trickle charging.  It is manufactured by Schumacher.  

It has microprocessor control.  Digital read out of available battery voltage in percent, or the charging voltage. Battery choices: Standard, AGM, and Gel Cell. The microprocessor prevents over charging.

Ship 'n Shore Speed Charger  Model SSC-11500A  

Cost: some where around $80(?) [That "junior moment" thing; I forgot to write the cost down.]

I found it at a local "Battery and Bulb" store.  Other models were available but this one suits the weight and space requirements for my C 16. Half of the size accommodates the hook up wire storage.  I'm thinking about hack sawing that part off to save a bit more space . . .

I am not associated with the company, just a pleased consumer.

'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

atrometer

I have their "battery jumper" model.  Supplies 12V, esb, computer plug in/charger, 110V, compressor, work light, others I forget. Like it very much.  Someone on this site suggested this approach rather than spending money wiring, etc. Mine's a Schumacher too.  Charge on 110V and you you're good to go.  I don't have a battery/lights/etc hard wired - all batteries

MacGyver

I think mine is the same model as yours, bought at WalMart for 50 bucks. Fantastic little charger, I use it at home when not needed on the boat, and charge the battery on the boat when I am on it fiddling around (Actually as I take a nap free from anyones prying eyes, like my wife's "Ill put you to work when idle" eye)

it peaks it up, and simple to use.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

capt_nemo

atrometer,

I don't have battery/lights/etc. hard wired either - just use assorted batteries for portable items.

Keeping it simple satisfies needs and minimizes problems.

capt_nemo
Com-Pac Sun Cat

atrometer

Quote from: capt_nemo on March 04, 2014, 07:08:07 PM
atrometer,

I don't have battery/lights/etc. hard wired either - just use assorted batteries for portable items.

Keeping it simple satisfies needs and minimizes problems.

capt_nemo
Com-Pac Sun Cat

And with my "Battery Jumper/Battery Pack" I can recharge my laptop (w/gps & charts), my iPhone with the same and google earth, run a fan if needed,  inflate/deflate an air mattress, cook dinner (OOPS).

Bob23

This is interesting. While my 23 came with hardwired nav lights and does have a working electrical system which I have added to, I also use a combination of battery powered LED lights for interior lighting and a small WallyWorld LED lattern which serves as an anchor light. While it may not be CG approved, it can be seen from a mile away or so. Maybe more- I only rowed one mile from the boat one summer evening last year to check it. I throw a line over a spreader and up she goes. And there's a downhaul to keep if from swinging.
   I also have a el cheapo HD solar landscape light attached to my stern rail which illuminates the cockpit at night. It's not gonna blind you, mind you, but does help getting back on the boat at night. I get at least one full season out of it and that's in a salt environment.
   I like the idea of Atrometer's battery jumper charger thing. Sounds like the Swiss Army knife of small power sources for a small boat. Thanks! It may serve as a back up source of power on my 23.
Bob23

skip1930

At the store we have a cart that holds a lap top and Telzon for scanning UPC's.
This confuser is driven by a 110 volt thing that converts 12 volt to 110 volt.
This is driven by a 12 wet cell car battery. Any kind of car battery would do.
And the battery is charged by one of these battery chargers that kind of sort of has a brain for fool proof charging.
As one can read, my mine is failing to function this morning.
That may be 'cause it's -4 degrees and snow tomorrow. So far about 56 inches. Frost 7 foot down into the ground.
Well shoot fire we have so much snow on the ground that even a week of 40 deg days won't warm us up.
It's March 5 and it's 'spose to be 40 deg.
Lake Superior is up more then 24 inches and Lake Michigan is 20 inches. No evaporation when ice covered.
But best part the charger works perfectly, not over charging. Energy management has always been a mystery.

skip.