a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

I learned my limits today..

Started by Sterling, February 16, 2014, 06:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sterling

Yesterday's forecast included a small craft advisory.  We reefed our main at our dock and went out anyway.  It was a great time, but we stayed in the intercoastal.  There were very few boats out, but no sailboats.  We looked out into the gulf through the pass, but it looked treacherous, so we didn't dare.

The forecast today was "perfect for boating" was the exact words the weatherman used.  Winds should be around 8 to 10.  Sounded great to us, so we headed out into the Gulf, along with many other sailboats.  We headed south towards Egmont Key and all was well for a couple of hours.  Wind was out of the north.  Then we started noticing the swells were getting larger and the wind was picking up.  Our destination was Shell Island, but I thought "we should turn around and see how the trip back will go".  Man am I glad we did!  With a strong wind hitting us in the face, along with waves crashing over the bow, we ended up motoring our way back.  At one point we hit some large waves that were breaking and one swamped over the whole boat and we had to pull the scupper plugs out quick.  Although we were motoring slowly, we were having a tough time getting back to the pass.  I think the boat was fine, but we were not having fun.  I was soaked and cold.  My wife was fine with what she was wearing, but I just had on swim shorts, a thin shirt and a thin cotton jacket.  I'm not eager to make another trip like that, even in summer time, but some warmth would be welcomed.

Here is a picture of us earlier in the day when everything was going great.....

deisher6

Hey Sterling:
Good story.  C16's are a very very wet boat motoring into a chop.  Been there.  It is good to have confidence in your boat and test it from time to time.

regards charlie

Sterling

Thanks Charlle, I agree.  I didn't enjoy the conditions, but I never felt like the boat couldn't handle it.  It can probably handle a lot more than I can.  You're right, it is good to learn its limitations and mine.

mattman

Sterling where do you sail out of. I kept a boat at Bahia del Sol in Ruskin for several years in the early 90's. The bay gets a pretty good chop from the northeasters. Great place to sail though. Miss it dearly now that I am in the midwest. Nothing like sailing out under the Skyway with the feeling you could just go and go..... Be careful out there. Matt.

Sterling

Hey Matt, I sail out of Johns Pass usually.  As you know, conditions can change quickly here, which one notices easily when kayaking, which I do a lot of.  The intracoastal offers some protection when conditions are rough and that's where we should have stayed today.  When the weather changed, we didn't have much choice but to fight our way back.  Shell Island, where we were heading today, is very close to the mouth of Tampa Bay.

16MAUI

Thanks for that story. I think that's the scoop with these boats. The boat handles, but its a wet, wet ride sometimes. Hopefully it's mellower and warmer next time!!!!

dontpanic

I am curious, how do you get the jib down when the conditions get a little rough?  Do you have a jib downhaul?

Don't Panic

Sterling

To get the jib down, I motored up and pointed into the waves. My wife is a tough woman, so she climbed up and pulled it down.  It took a minute to get the timing right and even with the motor on I had trouble keeping the boat into the waves because the jib was pulling me.  An auto furler would have been nice at that moment, but normally I would say we don't need one.  If I sailed by myself, I would want one, but I always have my trusty crew mate.

jhtjr

Sterling - it's great to see that the CP 16 can handle conditions like that.  I use a jib downhaul on a Helms 24 that works great, especially singlehanding.  Easy to rig and make work.  Thanks for the story.  Remember too - it's not the weather but the clothes !! ;-)

Gerry

Great story Sterling.  I had just the opposite experience sailing out of John's Pass last winter.  We had a great sail
out but upon returning we got caught in a complete fog.  To complicate matters a bridge failed on the way back to St. Pete.  We anchored out of the channel scarred stiff a racing power boat (in a white out) would hit us.  Three hours later we finally docked.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

Sterling

YES!  If I had been wearing the right clothes, then I would have been fine.  I will be keeping them onboard at all times now.

The fog can be thick at times.  Fortunately it's not all that often.  It came in on us a few weeks back and it was thick, but it cleared up fairly quickly, thank God.  I don't like sitting in fog.  There are too many knuckleheads in powerboats.  Ha ha!

Sterling

This evening was a nice way to make up for the other day.  Warm breeze, calm water and a beautiful sunset....

capt_nemo

Sterling,

Your C-16, like my Sun Cat, can get wet punching directly into large waves and windswept spindrift under power. And, punching directly into waves seems to dramatically rob forward inertia from a boat, like hitting a brick wall repeatedly.

Even though it may take a little more time to reach your destination, try taking the waves at a SLIGHT angle, not necessarily as much as when tacking under sail. When "Tacking" like this under power, you might find the ride a little less stressful and somewhat drier!

A sage old salt once said:

"It's one thing to be WET and it's another thing to be COLD, but to be both WET & COLD at the same time is to be avoided at all costs!".

capt_nemo

Sterling

That's good advice, Capt.  Thank you!

kickingbug1

and when you do take the waves at a slight angle make sure you have your crew (in my case wife) sitting ahead of you on the windward side. that way you wont get as wet. works for me. dont get me wrong i always encourage her to take the helm.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"