a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Transducer placement in CP 16

Started by Tadpole, February 15, 2014, 10:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tadpole

I'm getting ready to install a depth sounder in my CP 16/3.  I'll be doing an in-cabin placement and shooting through the hull.  I searched the archives but didn't find any suggestions about transducer placement.  Any recommendation from fellow 16 owners as to the best location for the transducer? Yes, I can do trial placements with plumbers putty, etc,  but why not put all that brain trust out there to work.

Thanks,

Tadpole

nies

I placed mine in front of post to right of center line..........several inch's from center against the hull...................my sounder had a leveling adjustment and placed as flat as possible before leveling...............when the hull is tilted the finder does not work to well becuase signal is going out rather than down to bottom.....................

skip1930

On my CP-19 the sensor did well 6 inches in front of the keel, and 6 inches off the centerline of the ship.

skip.

Tadpole

Thanks Nies & Skip,

It looks like this thread has run it's course.  Your input has given me a good starting point for mounting the transducer.

Tadpole

skip1930

One thing, there may be some noise deadening foam on the keel as on my CP-19 that I removed with my 4-1/2 inch angle grinder.
Just work your way down to the fiberglass bottom of the boat. And vacuum.

Oh. Again I forgot the details. Right in front of the compression post is a 16" x 16" access hatch [same size as the two port and starboard storage bins] in the vee birth deck. I don't know if this is a problem on a CP-16. There may not be a vee birth deck or even enough vertical height under a deck.

skip.

Tadpole

Thanks guys for the good input.  My depth finder should arrive Friday, so I'll let you know how the installation goes.  We live so far out in the "boonies" that I have to mail order most of my supplies.  A small price to pay for the peace and solitude of living out in the woods!

Tadpole

mikew

Tad, I guess I'm a little late with this- but I installed a depthfinder in my Cp-16 Mk 1. The transducer was a transom mount which I set up to shoot thru the hull. My location was in the lazerette area. It is installed on the flat area between the two pvc pipes just aft of the plywood bunk support, to the side of the center line. I used a 1/2" thick pad of electricians putty "Ducseal", which works well. So well I never bothered to permanently glue it in. I guess this location is aft of any hazards the keel may come across, but it is flat and I have no problem with bubbles in this area.

Mike

Tadpole

Mike wrote:  "I used a 1/2" thick pad of electricians putty "Ducseal", which works well. So well I never bothered to permanently glue it in".

Thanks Mike.  I just got my depthfinder today & I'll definitely give Ducseal a try.

Tadpole

mikew

OK, the "Ducseal" is an non-hardening grey weatherproof putty, electricians use to seal wire feedthroughs in electrical boxes. You can find it in hardware stores. You can break off small pieces and kneed it in your hands adding to it to form a pad around the bottom of the transducer.
The pad can be 3/8" to 1/2" thick. Then use this to stick the transducer to the hull. You can build up some around the edges of the puck too. The
idea is to provide a dense material for the transducer's sound waves to travel (without an air gap) through the hull into the water. The putty
is somewhat oily, so later if you want to permanently mount the transducer clean the surfaces with a solvent, then use RTV silicone seal or epoxy.

Mike

skip1930

Ducseal is also known at the aeroport as dog s**t.
Ace Hardware-one pound for $3.00

Sold in a plastic wrapped 'brick'.
Tear off a chunk and knead it till warm and slap it down somewhere.
I have a chunk in the garage, been around for a few years. 

skip.

Bob23

Thanks for the Ducseal info. I'm also installing a transom mount transducer as a through the hull on my 23. I have an old Navman or Raymarine whose through hull is mounted aft of the keel. Kinda tells you the depth of the water youv'e already sailed through. My new one will be mounted about amidships.
bob23