Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

com-pac 25

Started by Ron, February 07, 2014, 08:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

Hi Guys,
Just checking to see if there any 25 owners out there since I just recently joined the ranks, My boat(hull 42 2004) is presently landlocked waiting for decent weather to tow it to salt water. The boat(as yet unnamed) was sailed exclusively in a fresh water lake in PA.I will be sailing it Barnegat Bay NJ. Although not a project boat by any means it has been neglected for a few years, requiring considerable cleaning, especially the bright work. I am eager to send it to a yard on the Toms River so that in decent weather we can begin the clean up and rigging process. This boat represents the largest  I have ever owned having had a variety over the years, the most recent being a P18.So interested in any input that could be useful in the fitting out process.
Ron
Ron

Bob23

Hi Ron:
   While I'm not a 25 guy, I am a Barnegat Bay guy. Hope to catch you around this summer. I sail a 1985 23/2 "Koinoina". There is another 25 at Mariners Marina in Barnegat but I don't know the owner. There are a few 25 guys here so help should be on the way!
   Welcome to the forum!
Bob23

Ron

Thanks Bob, from an earlier post I believe you sail south of the bridge where we are north but for a few years my brother-in law sailed his 27 out of Dillon's Marina on the Toms south. Spent the best part of my childhood sailing the bay in a solid mahogany Snipe, then a Cape Cod cutter of about 18 feet, then a South Coast 23, and then nothing for many years until the P 18 for lake sailing around our area.
Reading the earlier posts I was a little dismayed to see some of the guys who bought 25's sold them  within months or a year of ownership. We have a 19 and 27 in the family so the 25 is no big surprise, but the fact is that despite the big freeboard the boat appeals to me as what a sailboat should be, at least one that my wife and I would own. Being reasonably familiar with the Bay I believe the 25 to be an excellent boat for overnighting, shoal draft being most important along with standing up to brisk winds the bay frequently features. The fellow who taught me how to sail as a youngster had Thistles,a Dutchman and Fying Scots and was a performance sailer, but after sailing on those boats I much preferred a more comfortable approach.I think you sail much further south but Tice's Cove is not out of the picture for us.
Ron

Restharrow

Ron,
Congrats on the new to you CP25.  How did you find it?
I purchased 1995 CP 25 Hull #5 in December and will be picking it up this spring.  Unfortunately for me it's in Wyoming, but I'm looking forward to towing it back to Vermont as soon as the weather breaks.  Looking forward to continuing to cruise Lake Champlain and later this summer we'll tow to Penobscot Bay, Maine for a few weeks.  Previously owned a CP23.
Good Sailing.
:)
Steve
CP 25
Lake Champlain, Vt. and coast of Maine
FaceBook RestHarrow Farm and Boatworks

Bob23

Ron:
   I actually sail from north of the rt. 72 bridge to LBI up into Barnegat Bay, Tice's included. I don't sail south of the bridge all that muc because of the extremely shallow water.
   I've eyed the 25's for quite some time...everything I could want- standing headroom, trailerable and it's a Compac. The freeboard does seem excessive but you can't have shoal draft and standing headroom without some kind of comprimise.
   Hope to meet  up with you...stay tuned for info on the 2014 Barnegat Bay Bash which has been held at Tice's!
Bob23

Ron

steve,
Wow, a nice early one, hope you really enjoy it, certainly a prize worth driving for. We have a little "sailboat shop" in town and someone brought it in on consignment. Now 23's are as big as you will see there these days so I was shocked to say the least to see the 25 there dwarfing all the other boats. I don't think I would have been as hardy as you to undertake that tow but when it was delivered so to speak in my backyard, what could I do?
Ron
Ron

jthatcher

hi ron,  jt here.  welcome to the site and congrats on the  cp 25!
we bought a cp 23  on toms river three years ago..  the boat is at  shorepoint marina..  mostly good experiences there..    have met some wonderful folks through this site..   bob, marty, allen , to name a few..    what lake from Pa was the boat sailed on?  we are in north east pa..   looking forward to pics and stories and all of the details!    jt

Ron

the boat was sailed on lake Wallenpawpak (sp) in the Poconos ,bought new in 2004. outboard with wheel, sort of a contradiction I think. All of the 27s and 25s were factory equipped with hot water heaters but without a diesel not much good beyond the reach of shore power. Spent some time trying to get the ice off her today but the coach roof was so slippery I didn't try to clear the forward hatch .It's is a long way down from the trailer height. Can only get at the boat on Saturdays, so looking forward to moving it to The Toms where new bottom paint and setting up the rigging can be done if this winter ever ends. I suspect pix will be  a while. My brother-in laws 27 is at Dillon's Creek Marina.Details are pretty prosaic, boat sort of fell into my lap and through our budget if you know what I mean.
Ron
Ron

TedW

Ron, congrats on your new boat. We sail our cp25 on lake Huron. We have had her just one season and love the 25s headroom and solid build of compac boats. We previously owned a 23. Like you, this a big boat for me, but it is still fairly simple. I launch and recover off the trailer, storage is simple, and my outboard lives in the basement in the winter. I haven't done any major work. Just a refinish of the teak and port holes. My wife likes the shiny look. A small compromise I guess. Let me know if I can be of any help. Good luck with your new compact.

Ron

Hi Ted,
Envious of your ability to launch off the trailer-very shoal water here prevents that. Is your 25 inboard or outboard? .Our boat has the outboard mount located center transom, which I would think would be a help in handling, especially in reverse.
Ron
Ron

TedW

Ron, That is interesting. Never saw one with the motor mounted centerline. Ours is an 8hp tohatsu, same as on our cp23. I had concerns of it being underpowered but it has been fine. I am going to try a 4 blade prop this spring. I think I could use a little more torque when going in and out of my slip.

skip1930

Why would a four blade prop make more torque then a three blade prop?

skip.

TedW

I don't know Skip. It s just what I have been reading. I figure for less than 100 bucks its worth a try. Besides, it works on airplanes.  TW

Tim Gardner

It may make more thrust, without cavitation at a given rpmand utilize the available Hp, but the motor makes the torque, limited by the Hp of the motor, not the prop.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

frank

They are a great shallow water cruiser! I took mine 'across the stream" and kept her there for 3yrs before sailing her back.  The keys and Abacos await.....have fun!!
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men