a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New CP 16 Owner on Maui

Started by 16MAUI, February 02, 2014, 02:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKBLK

Welcome to the group, 16Maui. I really enjoyed reading your posts. And the pics, nice boat! I'm sure that the CP16 breathed a great sigh of relief upon the removal of that huge Merc 8 hp! I tried out a Honda 2.2 on my 16 and it worked really well. I can understand your desire for more hp since you'll be sailing in much rougher waters than I. Looking forward to hearing more from you in the beautiful state of Hawaii.

Marty K.
CP16 Pegasus

P.S. So far in the Philadelphia area, we've gotten over 60" of snow this season!  :o Should make you feel real good.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

hinmo

Quote from: MKBLK on February 13, 2014, 04:13:20 PM
removal of that huge Merc 8 hp!

P.S. So far in the Philadelphia area, we've gotten over 60" of snow this season!  :o Should make you feel real good.

YES, wrong engine for a CP16, but those 8hp Mercs were twins and had tons of power. When tuned, they ran like a top. i sold one off my Catalina 25 to get a Tohatsu 4s and was sorry I did

Tim Gardner

Marty,

"P.S. So far in the Philadelphia area, we've gotten over 60" of snow this season!  Shocked Should make you feel real good." 

Sounds like you're really in Buffalo> 
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

dontpanic

16 Maui: you certainly have me thinking. I had planned to use my 1982 4 HP Johnson on my CP 16. It has few hours on it so I figured why not use it. In any event I got it out and tried to start it, but no go. So now I will need to go through the engine and rebuild things here and there. But I will probably be stressed that it won't start when I really need it.

So your point about spending the money and buying a new engine to reduce stress makes sense. Especially since I will mostly single handling and I am getting up in years.

Decisions, Decisions!

Anxious to know how your new engine performs on your boat.

Don't Panic

Salty19

Don't Panic,

If you are interested in selling your 4hp Johnson, let me know...running or not I might be interested.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

16MAUI

Thank you everyone for your responses...glad to know others are out there thinking about there boats and getting ready to have fun...which I think is the sole purpose of having such a small trailer sailor.

Marty- Thanks a lot, you're right  the boat sighed relief I think and so did I...I tested the motor in a tub of water while selling it, and it turned the water black....I'm over 2 strokes though even if they're reliable.

If you're stressing over something w/ a boat, best to tackle the problem so it's long gone and work towards something that brings good thoughts and not fear and anxiety...otherwise your time on the water is wasted. The experience should be uplifting, not full of panic and worry!

Don't panic-...I really like this name, kinda sums it up.."Don't panic"...then pull off the cover and have someone else hold the spark plug while you pull the starter...If they drop it and say some bad words...Great, that means u have spark. Next step, take off the spark plug and spray a modest squirt of starter fluid in the hole where the plug was in. Put the plug back in snug, attach the wire on again and pull a few times....If it starts to go, that means the only thing that's wrong is probably your carburator/and or bad gas... Usually what happens is the slow jet in the carb plugs because its so small. You can pull it apart and poke it,  or even just buy a new jet..or carb if u can find one at a good price and ur not one to dig that deep into mechanical mysteries. Seafoam and non-ethanol gas prevents this problem. Good luck! If you need help let me know.

I got parts for my 2 Hp Honda Short, gonna rebuild it Saturday, hopefully go out Monday (along w/my friends 4 hp yamaha) if the weather cooperates...and take some pics! The whales are off the hook here right now too.

Aloha Everyone

16MAUI

P.S-Don't panic.....if you get it running, sell it immediately. Unless you are very mechanical, and like working on old engines...sell it on craigslist and put the money towards a new motor. You'll prolly get a few hundred for it! A new 2.5 hp is less than 1k (which is  a lot), but even if it lasts one season, even though some have 5 year warranties, is worth it in happiness and not-worrying... Just my thoughts

MKBLK

Tim - I just checked Buffalo's seasonal snowfall - 77" from November to February. We just got about 3" last night in addition to the 10" 2 days earlier, so, that makes us only about 5" behind Buffalo for the season!!!  ::)

Marty K.

P.S. They're predicting another 3" for tomorrow!
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Salty19

Quote from: 16MAUI on February 13, 2014, 11:18:39 PM
P.S-Don't panic.....if you get it running, sell it immediately. Unless you are very mechanical, and like working on old engines...sell it on craigslist and put the money towards a new motor. You'll prolly get a few hundred for it! A new 2.5 hp is less than 1k (which is  a lot), but even if it lasts one season, even though some have 5 year warranties, is worth it in happiness and not-worrying... Just my thoughts

No, sell it to me...:)
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

atrometer

The AIR COOLED 2.3 Honda does not need an impeller, water intake, is NOT cooled by saltwater etc.  It will move a CP 16 quite well.  You could even use it (or the other one) for a back up.  I love my CP16 and Honda combo.  Will hit hull speed about 1/2 throttle and you can't go faster than hull speed even with an 8hp.

16MAUI

Exactly. I think you only need more power is you have really strong wind (you should be sailing with the that wind)...of course sometimes you need to maneuver in that wind, so more power will help that situation....or you have so much wind and swell, in my case, that you need the extra length for the motor to work correctly....6 hp is the smallest they sell the 25" in. For most of you, a 2-3 longshaft seems perfect. My 8 hit hull speed really fast, but hassling w that thing was a bust  and probably makes it sail like $hit, even though I never tried since I just this boat and is new to me. Im gonna try a 4hp yamaha short, hopefully very, very soon...I'll see if how it works and let everyone know. All I know is the 2 hp Honda is super light and seems like it will work great for flat water. Stow and go is a plus too...Cant do that w a bigger motor, even the Tohatsu 6hp xxl would be tough. Ive had Honda products for a long time, and as a former mechanic...they are awesome!

atrometer

I'd stick with long or extra long shaft.  I had a Tohatsu 6 HP sail pro high thrust with 25" shaft and alternator - great motor but too much for a 16 CP.

hinmo

I have a 90s Mariner long shaft 4 hp with reverse. I got it cheap on CL a couple years back, and was going to use it for a backup on my Catalina 25 (never ended up using it). I ended up using it on my inflatable.

It runs well, BUT, i never ran it more than a couple minutes from the dock to my mooring. Even though it pees strong, the block gets piping hot quickly (corroded water passages in block?).

Anybody in the NE want it cheap? I was going to tear it down, but its about 9 billionth on my to-do list.

16MAUI

Good advise. I got my 2 hp honda back together, new carb, new valve cover. Runs, but won't idle very well...runs better w/ choke on, w/ choke off needs to be throttled pretty high...not sure whats going on since its a brand new carb...Kinda a bummer. Maybe the 2 hp's don't idle low to begin with? I messed with the idle adjustment tryng to figure it out but, but it never got right. Stoked it runs and doesnt leak though. Hopefully someone knows the scoop on these.

Pacman

Quote from: 16MAUI on February 15, 2014, 11:04:23 PM
Good advise. I got my 2 hp honda back together, new carb, new valve cover. Runs, but won't idle very well...runs better w/ choke on, w/ choke off needs to be throttled pretty high...not sure whats going on since its a brand new carb...Kinda a bummer. Maybe the 2 hp's don't idle low to begin with? I messed with the idle adjustment tryng to figure it out but, but it never got right. Stoked it runs and doesnt leak though. Hopefully someone knows the scoop on these.

If it runs better with the choke on than off that indicates an excessively lean fuel mixture.

Hondas come from the factory with EPA-compliant jet sizing so they will run lean enough to meet environmental certifications.

The jets on a 2 HP Honda are quite small such that a very small bit of crud can cause that condition.

My Honda 2 HP runs fine after it is warmed up but it can be a bit cold blooded atstart up.

You might try some Berryman fuel system cleaner of Sea Foam to dissolve any crud that may be there. 

Crud forms when moisture from the air is absorbed into the ethanol in the modern automotive fuels.

The moisture causes corrosion of metal parts in the fuel system and, over time, it can separate from the fuel completely forming blobs of crud.

The ultimate solution is to only use non-ethanol "recreational" fuel so new crud won't form and your brass carb jets won't corrode.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile