Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New CP 16 Owner on Maui

Started by 16MAUI, February 02, 2014, 02:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

16MAUI

Aloha from Maui,

I wanted to introduce myself and say Aloha! I just purchased a 1977 Compac 16. It's my 6th or 7th sailboat. Previously I owned a catalina 27, Westsail 28, Cal 20, Hobie adventure Island and a few sailing outrigger canoes I built.

It came w/ am 8hp Mercury 2 stroke, which works but is about 70 lbs and stinky. I plan to replace it with a 6 hp Tohatsu Sailmaster 25" shaft, I also have a 2 hp Honda Im rebuilding, which will be my backup. Normally I wouldn't need a backup, as your outboard generally is your backup and sails are your primary....but the narrow channels, reefs and flukey to ridiculous winds make sailing in to the launch ramp not an option...usually the ramp has a strong surge from waves also.

Hawaii seems like a perfect place for boating, but in fact its not. The winds can go from zero to 50 very fast..and so can the swell. 25 mph and 10' swell is totally normal. A day of fun can turn into life and death here since the nearest land is thousands of miles away.vBut, I feel like the compac 16 is the safest thing for its size that I can find..and it fits in my condo parking stall, which was #2 priority...(Actually, it's the only  Compac 16 on Maui that I know of).

I wanted this boat because I love sailing, but I love fishing even more which is very productive here by trolling. In order to catch Ahi (Tuna), Mahi and ONO (wahoo) you need to be going a certain speed, which is more than this boat, but hull speed on a Compac will do the trick if I use slower lures. I hope that a 6hp XL will be the best solution between speed, swell, wind & safety. I need to go fairly long distances to the good grounds, 20 miles or so, so a reliable motor is a must. It's always bumpy and the wind swell is usually a huge issue making the boat hobby horse going into the swell, so I feel that the Tohatsu 6hp XL 25" would stay in the water best. A bigger boat, probably a power boat, is better suited but the Waitlist at the 2 harbors we have are 30 years+....And Im not a power boat kinda dude anyways.

I want to say thank you to everyone posting on this site. I've been reading the forum extensively and I am thankful for all the input people have given...it's helping me figure out my next steps. I enjoy reading peoples stories and and experiences. Any more input on rough conditions would be welcomed. I hope all of you are on the water soon, when the weather warms up in the mainland for many- Aloha

Daniel

Bob23

HI Daniel and welcome! If my memory serves me well (?) you may be the first guy from Hawaii to join here. We look forward to your contributions and photos. Any name for the boat?
Bob23

16MAUI

Thanks for the welcome Bob! It's funny you mention the name because it's been on my mind all day. The boat's name is "Annie" which isn't terrible...but I want to change it. I had an ex girlfriend named Annie that wasn't so great...and I recently sold my house to a lady named Annie, who nickel and dimed me for everything possible and imaginable. I have read through many people's name changing theories and I feel like I need to do it respectfully and somewhat formal with a good dose of descent bubbly....maybe rum. I don't want to be on the bad side of the ocean here. I've tried to find how the Hawaiian's do it but I was told that back in canoe days they would just destroy the boat rather than rename it... so I'm gonna track down some local fisherman I know and ask them how they go about it. Looking forward to a few projects and making the boat as safe and easy to use as possible...so that it does get used as often as possible.

Bob23

Yeah, definitely ditch the name Annie! As far as name changing, you should be able to find something online. Over here on the East coast of the mainland, as you islanders call us, one method was to row around the boat counter clockwise twice whilst pouring a bit of your favorite libation into the sea as an offering. Me, I'm not superstitious at all but I still performed said ritual anyway.
Rum. On the subject: Any unusual rums available over there? Pussers? Gosslings? Kraken? Back East here, I've tracked down a rum made in of all places Newfoundland called "Newfy's
Screetch" Quite nice, indeed.
Well, keep up posted on your adventures on land and off with your 16! And welcome!
Bob23 and 1985 CP 23/2 "Koinonia" on the NJ coast.

kickingbug1

i just wonder how a cp16 made it to maui. i bet the hutchin brothers would love to know
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

kickingbug1

oh yeah, post some pictures if you can, even though it bothers some of us caught in the cold grip of winter.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

nies

WOW.......have been to a few places on planet earth and Maui is the only place I would return in a second, you are one blessed seadog, also would love to know how a Com Pac 16 got to Maui ( probably on a frighter) if not would have been quite a sail .................nies

Craig

Welcome and Aloha!  :) Here is a good renaming ceremony.  http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm   As a Hawaiian you might want to add a exhortation to some of the appropriate old Hawaiian gods just for good measure ;D
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

16MAUI

Thanks everyone for your welcome and comments. I'm definitely getting rid of the name and I guess it's not the original name anyways, so I don't feel so bad about it... Gonna go with something classy, still working on that. I'll come up with a respectful way to clear the ledger of her name, with a Hawaiian twist.

I'm guessing the boat made it over here a while back since the guy I bought it from has had it for about ten years and he dug it out of the jungle at some other guys yard and fixed it up. Shipping here costs more than the boats worth, except it's probably the only one which makes it kinda valuable. There just aren't hardly any trailer sailboats here.

Bob, there is starting to be a rum thing here recently, since there is still a sugar cane industry on Maui. There's Sammy Hagar's beach bar rum and, kauai rum and I think even a few others starting up....Ill check next time I go to the liquor store.

I started working on a trailer extension today, but found a dead end....no one has 2 1/2" square box tubing thats galvanized on Maui.....yes it's that small (the island)....So either gonna go with aluminum (only 1/8" thick though) or wait...only need a 7' piece to slide into the 3" square tubing which makes the tongue.

I tried uploading photos but couldnt figure it out...there's a insert image, but no attach image that I could find....its just me I'm sure.

16MAUI

Also, I know winter must be a kinda torturous time to think about boating for many of you....but at least it's a great time to work on some projects, get things ready and plan what Spring and summer will bring! Over here it's a different kind of torture since most of us work way too much and live in apartments or condos where we can't ever get anything done....so a lot of boats just sit and rot in place with the lure of sailing outside.....thats unless you have $$$$. But,  I guess if you had $$$ we probably wouldn't have a 16' yacht....well I think I would actually

skip1930

About a million years ago, Small Craft Advisor did an article where a sailor piloted his CP-19 from California to Hawaii.
The boat came back on a freighter. The sailor ? An aeroplane? Don't remember.

I think I remember something about entering the Island's harbor was the most dangerous segment of the trip.

skip.

atrometer

There is/was a Montgomery 15 there also - sailed from CA

16MAUI

Id like to meet up with the montgomery owner, those are pretty awesome boats too....theyve done some epic stuff.....Thanks for the lead, if they're here I'll prolly rin int

16MAUI

ooops, laptop is twitchy....run into them, the M-15 owners.....

Sold my 2 stroke 8 hp tonight....yes! Thing worked but was old and smelly and I'm over old motors that are hard to find parts for. Sold it for $400. which was a bit less than I wanted, but its gone ...part of having a small boat I think is dialing it in w good stuff, not old questionable stuff.... SMall boats are not only small by length, but by volume and price...I'm very Buddhist at heart, which is all about not stressing and happiness. Id rather save up a grand or 2 over several months, and not stress over small stuff.. The whole point is fun and if you're not having that then its take up a different hobby like TV or whatever...Tohatsu sail-pro 6 here we come!

I got the boat for $1900....so I guess Im at $1500 w/no motor...Not bad since its cherry, on a trailer and it's on an island, my island....not even the main island.

I was trying to make a trailer extension wih 2.5" square tube, slides into the existing 3"...simple enough...but no 2.5" on maui...friends gonna bring some from Hilo, on the big island.. What u would do w/out friends??? His boat is broke, so I guess were going fishing in mine when its ready!!!! His boat was my best boat ever, a friends one.... But I think this will work out even so!!!!

16MAUI

I opened up a photobucket acct, so I could show photos....here's a few. Boat had horses painted on before, still working on erasing them...Didn't quite fit my dream...maybe some Budweiser ones w/ the kewl feet...i dont know LOL- Aloha