a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Safety lines and pelican hooks

Started by Ted, January 02, 2014, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

The PO of my boat broke the safety lines. He rigged up some nice ropes but they don't have the strength or permanency of the previous lines.

So... I am thinking about replacing them. The lifeline kits that I have researched are stinking expensive. I could order them from Hutchins but I have the clips still and it seems like a waste to just toss them. Here is a pick of the clips:

Is it worth trying to re-use them?

I have thought about just making new lines using something like dyneema or amsteel. There is another thread on this board that talks about using amsteel and it looks good but I don't have a close place to find it/buy it and I would like to lay eyes on it first.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - The Water Rat

waterwks4me

Ted, I too checked into using some of the advanced cordage available today but decided to go the normal route when I find out that it is recommended to replace every two to three years.  I have replaced the lifelines on two boats now and have good luck with an outfit called Rigging Only. Here is there website:

http://www.riggingandhardware.com/c-951-life-lines.aspx

wes

A big part of the expense of new lifelines is the end terminals, especially those pelican hooks. You can save and re-use your terminals, and just have the new lines made up with studs on the ends (stud is the male threaded thing like a bolt that screws into the pelican hook). Be careful to match left or right handed thread on each end.

New issue of Good Old Boat has an article on making your own lifelines.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Jason

Greetings,

I ordered the lifelines for my 16 from Hutchins.  Very happy with the quality, but heads-up , both lines arrived with the hardware not attached on one end so there was extra expense in shipping the lines and hardware to be cut trimmed and fittings swaged. The fittings required specialized hydraulic swaging dies.  My 1981 CP16 did not have bow/stern pulpits so I ordered them from Hutchins along with the lifelines and installed them on my boat, thus Hutchins would not have known exact lifeline lengths thus it made sense that they shipped them with one end loose. If/when I order replacements I will just order them cut to length with fittings hydraulically swaged on both ends, from Hutchins or a reputable rigger.

Jason
1981 Compac 16 "Lillyanna"
Currently building SCAMP #349 "Argo"
Build log at www.argobuilder.com

jb

I second the suggestion of using "Rigging Only "....  used them several times myself. Good service, very competitive pricing.

They will  attach your existing hardware ( pelican hooks etc) to your new lifelines.

j

Vipersdad

Here are some links you might want to look over.  I am planning to replace my lifelines on my 19/II early this spring with Amsteel, etc.

Here are two articles from www.sailfeed.com.  I think there may be a third and fourth article in the series but I couldn't find them in a quick search.

http://www.sailfeed.com/2013/02/synthetic-lifelines-in-the-works/
http://www.sailfeed.com/2013/03/synthetic-lifelines-part-ii/

The PDF link  below outlines a completed replacement with Amsteel.

http://www.alohaowners.com/projects/amsteel_lifelines/Amsteel.pdf

Colligo Marine specializes in lines and fittings, etc.

www.colligomarine.com

Regards,

Vipersdad

s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

MacGyver

I went to amsteel and it really adds yet another tough of class to the boat.
They have to be made on the boat but in reality that is simple. and the way I did it, which would take some digging up on my part, was really rather easy, and every so many years the fittings will stay, but the amsteel replaced.

I know the initial cost was a bit large but not bad.
and the fittings are saved in future replacements.

They do a good job for me.

These were the ones I could find in my photo bucket..... My classefied add selling the boat under the cpyoa classifieds might have some of them as well.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

Mates:
  There's an article in the recent Good Old Boat magazine on lifeline replacement. Worth checking out.
Bob23

jthatcher

I should probably read the article in  This Old Boat before adding my two cents..  but here goes anyway :)     I also have worked with rigging only.  Last summer, I found that I needed to replace the backstay on short notice.   They asked me to send the old one their way, and within 4 days, the new one arrived..   great service. 

I also spent a lot of time thinking about the life lines which needed to be replaced..  the options that I considered were
a)  get rid of them all together
b) replace with un-coated original design
c) replace with amsteel

I seriously considered  taking the lines off of the boat because my belief is that  they are more of a hazard than a help.   I know that this may ruffle some feathers, but, in my humble opinion,   they really are a tripping hazard at the design height on a 23.    I agree with Bob that they add a nice touch to the overall look of the boat, but they are really only as strong as the strongest stanchion..  and there may be some questions about them on a  30 year old boat.   

the cost associated with the fittings etc with either the  steel or the amsteel  options  were a deciding factor in not going in that direction.    If I had a bigger boat, with higher lifelines,  and I was going out to sea,  the cost would be worthwhile in my mind, but  that is not the kind of sailing that I will be doing on my 23..

so..  my solution..  i bought  low stretch  line and salvaged the old fittings..    tied knots that could be redone in the event of any stretch..    this gives me a life line that looks good,   that serves the purpose of having a place to hang towels,  lines, etc..    , and that  will probably survive longer than the weakest stanchion on the boat in the event that I have to grab it on my way overboard..   most likely because i tripped over it first!   :)  jt 

skip1930

Take the pieces over to any yacht service marina and ask them to build you another set.
I think even a West Marine stores will swedge 'em up.

skip.