a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outboard for Horizon Cat

Started by blighhigh, December 20, 2013, 10:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blighhigh

The engine that came with my used Horizon Cat was a Mercury with a 15 inch leg.  This cavitates unless I am sitting far aft. I was wondering what engine would be a good replacement?  Obviously a long shaft outboard would be better but I was wondering about the ease of shifting gears with a new outboard.  BH

skip1930

" I was wondering about the ease of shifting gears with a new outboard. "

Should be no different in effort to reach and in effort to move the shift lever.

Consider a method to lower the engine on it's mount.
The 15 inch may be standard. I don't remember but I think 20 inch was the 'sail boat' model?

I dropped my engine down two inches and 6 inch [+ or -] back and allows me to drop the handle and twist throttle all the way down without hitting the transom.

skip.

Craig

Go with a long shaft and consider a remote shift/throttle system. I consider the ability to shift and control the throttle from the cockpit (along with a Boomkicker) the best investments one can make. Reduces stress at least 100% and makes docking/trailering a hell of a lot easier!  ;D The wheel steering on the HC makes it rather difficult to lean over the transom to operate the motor controls.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

blighhigh

Where did you mount the shifter and throttle? 

Rahn

I have a Yamaha T8 on my Horizon Cat and the throttle and shifter are monted on the steering arm (not sure what this is called) which makes everything very easy to access. I also have a 20 inch shaft which is on an adjustable motor mount and have never experienced cavitation.