a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Come One Come All

Started by TroyVB, April 12, 2006, 01:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TroyVB

Well the plans are in place for the Midwest Rendevous.  You may have seen this before in other threads but we want to get a masthead count of who will be there.

For those who have not seen it yet here is the cruise itinerary:

June 15 Thurs eve or June 16th Fri morning - Arrive Elk Rapids MI, M-31
Launch and take a slip for the night, motel or boat camp
Launch in the morning / park and provision the boats,
June 16th - go over passage check weather, sail at 10 am - 23 miles to Northport, stop for lunch along Old Mission penninsula, short hike to the old Mission light House.
This is a broad reach all the way to Northport with the typical south - west winds. Should manage 4 knots maybe better. Arrival at Northport @7pm, sundown at 10pm. Alternate harbors - Old Mission Harbor, or Omena Bay.

June 17th - breakfast, optional excursion to Dunes, North point lighthouse or wineries by bus or cab. Set sail at 2pm, for the 17 miles south to Sutton's Bay. Sail past Gull island. We may need to swing out farther from shore to stay away from ground shadowing of south westerly winds. Arrive at port around 7 pm, might take longer if winds are from the south so we'll check and ajust the day before fooling around.

June 18th - breakfast, fool around, check weather, 23 miles to Elk rapids with a swing around Old Mission shoals. This is a broad run (bring your wisker pole or your spinnaker), and then a turn to starboard which will be a broad reach to Elk Rapids. We should make 4 knots all the way at least. So there could be a stop along the way for lunch and fishing, or if people are anxious to make port and get home we could just get there mid-day.

There are many other places to see, to ditch in bad weather and if any one wants to extend the trip we can. The above itinerary doesn't really offer the easy camping opportunities of a visit to Marion (Power) island which is farther south on the west arm. I haven't found too much shoreside camping along the abouve itinerary. This itinerary does provide for comfortable sailing, avoiding lots of tacking and close reaches. If weather gets bad a safe harbor is usually just 5 miles away.

Bay Breeze rents boats in Traverse city and the Traverse City airport is a nice regional hub. So if anyone wants to join but doesn't want to bring their boat this is an option.

So far I've got three for sure, Marcus, Doug and myself.  It sure would be nice to get a few more com-pacs traveling together.  How bout it Skip are you gonna cross the pond :D

Thanks to Marcus for the great work on the schedule.  We need to get names and numbers to him so that he can reserve slips.

I noticed that there are a number of ComPacs on the Frappr site does anyone know if it is possible to email some of those folks.  Many would be within a short distance of GT Bay.  

Just let me know in this thread if you are interested.  I will also try to get you any info that you might need.

crbakdesign

Sounds like a Plan! :D We"ll fire out an email to everyone registered with the forum with your information. Watch for it in your box tonight.

crbakdesign

We sent out the post tonight as an email and moved this thread to a General announcement. Now if anyone misses it they'll have to be missen a an oar or two.  :wink:

mgoller

I am really looking forward to this sailing experience.  I'll be there.  I could use a deck hand if anyone wants to come along and experience a ComPac 19 II.

TroyVB

Marcus,

How soon do we need to have a list of people.  So far I have not seen or heard much from anyone.  Do you think people have gotten the word or do we need to try something else?

Is there much crossover with the yahoo list?  I have not spent much time there.

Looking forward to the cruise.

Windhawk

I am going to try & make it, but I doubt the boat will be ready.  The Midwest Com-Pac dealer (Great Lakes Sailboat Company, Bath, Michigan) has expressed an interest as well, but that's the busy season for him.  He has a CP25 that he trailers, so that would be interesting, as that is a truly rare boat.

mgoller

Troy,
You have done a great job getting the word out.  The email blast sent out to everyone couldn't be missed.  The list is coming together.  If a couple more boats join at the last minute that will be fine.  I'll see if the yahoo site knows anything about this voyage.
This will be a great time and a great photo op of several ComPacs together in beautiful aqua waters.
I plan on making a video of the voyage.  I have had a great time lately doing DVD on my Apple computer.  I want it to be about a 30- 45 minute film of  just sailing fast or slow near and far from shore.  I want the natural sounds of the bow cutting a wave, the shudder of the rigging, the whistle of wind through the shrouds, seagulls squawking near a shore, and I have some very cool music for the background.
On a cold and snowy january I can pop this DVD in and relive summer sailing.  I will make it available on the site of course.
So if anyone wants their boat in the movie they have to come.

spaul

Guys,
Wow this sounds fantastic. I cannot join you but will be with you all in spirit. I look forward to photo's and a journey report if possible so all of us can live vicariously through you for a few moments.

Steve Paul
cp 27/2
IM PAUL SIVE

spaul

Guys,
Wow this sounds fantastic. I cannot join you but will be with you all in spirit. I look forward to photo's and a journey report if possible so all of us can live vicariously through you for a few moments.

Steve Paul
cp 27/2
IM PAUL SIVE

TroyVB

I thought that I should jumpstart this thread again now that we are only a couple of weeks from the Midwest Rendevouz.  If you have not made plans to join us yet on Beautiful Grand Traverse Bay there is still a little time.

Marcus, do you know how many of us will be there? 

I was also wondering if you had a specific time and place that you thought we should meet in Elk Rapids?

I look forward to the cruise

mgoller

Hi Troy,
From tallying the responses it looks like 2 firm attendees (you and I), 1 doubtful and several 'wish they coulds'.

The address and phone of the marina:

Edward C. Grace Memorial Harbor
118 Bridge
Elk Rapids, MI
Phone: 231-264-8174

Easy enough to mapquest directions.

I'll be there at the dock and launch area on June 15th from 5pm til nighttime to help anyone from our group with mast setup and launch.  I'll be there in the morning of the 16th ready to go.

My cell is 734 355 0960 for any trying to reach me up there.

As the list of sailors firms up I will make the reservation for slips and or parking on the 9th of June to give them a week's notice.

The weather is hotter than normal for this time of year so the lakes are warming up ahead of schedule.  Should be nicer for swimming.

TroyVB

Hi Marcus,

I am disappointed in the numbers but we should have a good time anyway.  My family and I will be there on the 15th. 

Cell # 616 886 8744 if you need to get a hold of me. 

I will see you on the 15th

mgoller

Hey Troy,
A couple of things. 
Above all lets have fun.  I am very flexible so if your crew wants to go anywhere or do anything special lets make sure we do that.  If you secretly were wishing we were starting out at Suttons, nows the time to make that decision.
Lets not be bound by passage making.  If it works out as planned fine, if not - better.
If you will be there on the 15th lets definitely rendevous to help step the masts (I could use help).  What time are you planning for and I will adjust?
I plan on bringing some easy food with me, canned and dry.  I have a little alcohol stove for cooking, and a sink.
My main goal is to explore the area, sail on a bigger body of water and make new friends.
I do not plan on sailing in heavy weather.
If any of your crew are old enough to feel confident they could give me a hand for an hour or two as first mate since I'm single handing.
Its not surprising there aren't more boats, its surprising that you or I haven't found ourselves too busy to go.

TroyVB

Hi Marcus,

I'm all for the fun and flexible part and I also do not plan to do any heavy weather sailing.  My crew has been adjusting from a Catalina 27 and while my wife is ASA certified she is still getting over the fact that when you move around on a CP16 it tends to change sail balance and angle of heel.  My daughter is only 10 and has just begun to take the tiller.  She likes being the one to call out "ready about."

Elk Rapids is fine for a starting point I initially thought that I would have to be back earlier but have cleared the schedule. 

Did you ever hear from Sawyer?  I have not seen many posts from him recently and I thought this was a weekend that worked for him.  I left him a private message yesterday but have not heard back.

We are planning to leave here around 3PM and it is a two hour drive so we should be there around 5.  I would be happy to help you step your mast and any other help you might need.

mgoller

Hi Troy,
The drive is 3.5 hours for me so I'll leave at noon to be there for a 5pm.  Construction, traffic etc...
I didn't contact any other sailors to see if they might be coming.  I figured if they weren't engaged in our plans by now chances are slim.  I noticed there are about five sailors registered on the frappr in Michigan.
Maybe you'll hear back from Sawyer who had been previously interested.  Looks like there is a Suncat sailor around Muskegon who is waiting for his boat.
Is there anything else I can do?  Do you want me to look into accomodations further?
Thanks,